Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Let us transfer our account to Steam


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cronos.6532 said:

It doesn't have to; for example, in RuneScape, you can just log in to the only account you've linked to your Steam account.

That doesn't really answer the question of how I could log into my main, then an alt account on Steam. Since you only have the one Steam account, I'm assuming you could only create one GW2 account. Unlike now, when I can make as many accounts as I like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

omg who cares

Apparently for some people in some places or circumstances, Steam works for them when Guild Wars | Gems Store | Gem Cards do not. Personally, it would be nice to just have steam cards and not both steam cards/credits and Gems cards/credits.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Apparently for some people in some places or circumstances, Steam works for them when Guild Wars | Gems Store | Gem Cards do not. Personally, it would be nice to just have steam cards and not both steam cards/credits and Gems cards/credits.

then start a ftp steam gw2 account and gift stuff to your main.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a solution, but unfortunately, you can't gift everything from the Gem Store. And if you buy steam credits (whatever they are called) and then buy gems, trade them for gold, which you send to your main, which you then convert to gems, how much are you losing in the exchange?

Not an issue for me, I have no troubles with the existing systems, and have no plans to play on steam, just voicing complaints or reasons why steam supposedly solves problems.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Whilst I don’t get it either, there’s obviously a reason for it. It would be nice to know that reason, but they’ve had this feedback for a year. There is clearly an obstacle we aren’t privy to.

My guess is it has something to do with the GW1-> GW2 account linking.

For example, on the Steam FAQ, they mention that GW1 accounts that were created via Steam can only be linked to a GW2 account that was created on the ArenaNet website.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

Edited by Chaba.5410
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the very least it would be nice to have an optional reset of sorts.

 

i.e. only transfer over account assets like gemstore purchases and expansions, while losing progress and deleting those assets from the previous account if needed. Creating a new account on steam and enabling content you have already paid for on the other account pretty much.

 

not ideal, but thats how much i would prefer to have all my games on one platform. doing it this way would at least get around possible issues with porting over ingame data and progress if thats the reason they are choosing not to do it.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2022 at 4:11 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

You know what companies like more than losing 20-25% to another company? Losing 0%. Steam release is aimed at new players, they don't need to entice you into playing the game through another platform because you're already playing it.

They'll still miss out on:

  • many sales from existing and returning players, believe it or not
  • a smaller transaction fee from Digital River / PayPal / credit card companies when purchases are made in the non-Steam version

ArenaNet, while still a business, isn't as bloodthirstily profit-driven as other MMO companies, so it's weird that they're doing something so anti-player this time around.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cronos.6532 said:

They'll still miss out on:

  • many sales from existing and returning players, believe it or not
  • a smaller transaction fee from Digital River / PayPal / credit card companies when purchases are made in the non-Steam version

ArenaNet, while still a business, isn't as bloodthirstily profit-driven as other MMO companies, so it's weird that they're doing something so anti-player this time around.

Their parent company on the other hand is.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, erapago.4387 said:

They are on one platform. PC.

Steam's a storefront that lets Valve suck money out of the PC gaming platform instead of making Half Life 3.

Yes, l love installing a different storefront for every publisher who has the money to do so just so l can be unable to add funds to the account. At least on Steam l could've bought the expansion directly and not rely on a friend to buy me a key (which l'm incredibly lucky to even have as an option).

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Cronos.6532 said:

They'll still miss out on:

  • many sales from existing and returning players, believe it or not

Why? Waht exactly are you basing it on? Those people already paid/played without use of steam. Nothing stands in their way to do the same with expansion (because what other sale are you talking about here?).

9 hours ago, Cronos.6532 said:
  • a smaller transaction fee from Digital River / PayPal / credit card companies when purchases are made in the non-Steam version

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. That they still pay a smaller transaction fee for CC usage like everyone else? Ok and that changed what I said how exactly? And that changes that you want to add another % to that fee how exactly? Is the existance of a smaller fee supposed to somehow make adding another bigger fee to it better or what point are you attempting to make with that? ūüėĄ

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, for me it'd mainly be because of the support Steam has to play games through Proton on Linux. I don't mind gaming on Windows still, but I prefer to avoid it as much as possible. I have some success playing the games through Lutris, but it's hit and miss, while the Steam Proton support is usually really good. Especially now with the Steam Deck.

Edited by Caspian.2814
Typos
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Caspian.2814 said:

Honestly, for me it'd mainly be because of the support Steam has to play games through Proton on Linux. I don't mind gaming on Windows still, but I prefer to avoid it as much as possible. I have some success playing the games through Lutris, but it's hit and miss, while the Steam Proton support is usually really good. Especially now with the Steam Deck.

I think it still works with Proton if you add it as a third-party game on Steam.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear ArenaNet and NCSoft, I know that this might be a mute point in the near or even near long term foreseeable future, but I figured I would add to this forum topic about how I feel about the Steam release without allowing accounts to be linked to Steam. Personally, I feel it is a bad idea not to allow all the hard work to be linked to a Steam account. Fact is, most the games I currently play are Steam friendly. Recently, I took a break from Guild Wars 2 because of lack of Steam linking friendliness. I was really excited initially about the Steam release, even talked to some of my Stream buddies about coming to join me on Guild Wars 2, well, at least until I learned I will have to start a new account, since I am not going to be able to link my current account. Shattered, that is sort of the feeling I got and well, first, I was like, okay, I will start a new account, but then, I was like, no, I already juggle between my Steam games and Guild Wars 2, and this will just compound the problem. I would have paid 100 dollars to link my account, if that was an option (And no, I am poverty line poor, so its not that 100 dollars is like water to me, 100 dollars to me is like thousands to others), so as the topic says, I agree that we should be able to transfer to Steam all progress, or even better, we should simply be able to link to Steam for a cost (since it is clear this is all about money). Yes, I know it will be disputed that it is not about money, but it really is because I get it, as a developer, it means paying for resources to be able to fulfill this need, so it is most certainly about money. This game may be free to play, but to be fair, if we want fluff, we pay for it, so linking my account to Steam would be fluff, right? It is not like it is game breaking pay to win since Steam players will get to mingle with Arena Account holder players. In the very least, allow us to log in to game through Steam, all payable transactions can still be done through PC proper. Okay, now that I have whined it up, likely casting my voice to trolls and the wall, back to playing games and having fun!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, folly dragon.4126 said:

Dear ArenaNet and NCSoft, I know that this might be a mute point in the near or even near long term foreseeable future, but I figured I would add to this forum topic about how I feel about the Steam release without allowing accounts to be linked to Steam. Personally, I feel it is a bad idea not to allow all the hard work to be linked to a Steam account. Fact is, most the games I currently play are Steam friendly. Recently, I took a break from Guild Wars 2 because of lack of Steam linking friendliness. I was really excited initially about the Steam release, even talked to some of my Stream buddies about coming to join me on Guild Wars 2, well, at least until I learned I will have to start a new account, since I am not going to be able to link my current account. Shattered, that is sort of the feeling I got and well, first, I was like, okay, I will start a new account, but then, I was like, no, I already juggle between my Steam games and Guild Wars 2, and this will just compound the problem. I would have paid 100 dollars to link my account, if that was an option (And no, I am poverty line poor, so its not that 100 dollars is like water to me, 100 dollars to me is like thousands to others), so as the topic says, I agree that we should be able to transfer to Steam all progress, or even better, we should simply be able to link to Steam for a cost (since it is clear this is all about money). Yes, I know it will be disputed that it is not about money, but it really is because I get it, as a developer, it means paying for resources to be able to fulfill this need, so it is most certainly about money. This game may be free to play, but to be fair, if we want fluff, we pay for it, so linking my account to Steam would be fluff, right? It is not like it is game breaking pay to win since Steam players will get to mingle with Arena Account holder players. In the very least, allow us to log in to game through Steam, all payable transactions can still be done through PC proper. Okay, now that I have whined it up, likely casting my voice to trolls and the wall, back to playing games and having fun!

 

 

Ofcocurse it is about money they lose 30% on all purchases even gems through steam.

So your 100 dollars wont go far mate, start new or play your old account with your steam friends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they offered to move my current account to steam as a paid service then I would be happy to pay for it, and moving me over to steam would boost the game stats there.

I mean we all know (assume) they wont transfer current accounts because steam would require a fee. Id easily pay twice that fee (or something) to anet for the service, so that it is also good for them. It might help the game aswell: +1player on stats, my friends on steam see me playing it, easier for me to invite to or gift it or whatever.

  • Confused 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didnt think about the profit for them on future purchases (from me), and didnt think of paying 30% more on those. I assumed more players are more valuable than those 30% mine, and that it could be a one time fee.

Edited by Loke.1429
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...