Lack of Content with EoD. Anet failing to deliver.

Odin.6487

15 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Although GW2 isn't really the same as "every other MMO".

Also, I've never understood why people play Massively Multiplayer Online games only to then lock themselves away in instanced content with limited player numbers.

Surely the draw of an MMO should be scenarios that leverage that Massively part?

Like world bosses, map metas, WvW, those sorts of things...

In my opinion GW2 often does world bosses and metas poorly. By designing a game where things like dodging and timing defensive skill use are integral to success while simultaneously spammimg so much visual noise that even seeing your foe can be a challenge they have created an environment where this sort of content is frustrating at best and migraine inducing at times.

I prefer instanced content because not only can I see the enemy, I can see my friends' cool characters too. Also, in 5 to 10 man content, I can have a sense of my own contribution to our group's success. In large scale open world boss fights, generally,  I know that if one player just stood nearby and did nothing at all the outcome would be no different than if he played his best. If his contribution is effectively zero, no matter what be does, then what is the point? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/16/2022 at 11:50 PM, Izzy.2951 said:

I mean guys stop being dramatic. There is population playing Spvp at any given hour (specially at prime hours), obiusly its not league of legends and will never be. The influx of new players will benefit that even more.

Second yes, they should give more love to Spvp with new conquest map, changes to stronghold and even new pvp modes! but lets see after steam/lws1 and wvw restructuring.

Lots of other things you say are false, strike rewards have been improved, core stuff has been touched. And some are true, but still. They had massive layoffs, EoD delivered a good experienced and no other expansion bringed raids/fractals on it. So wait for LWS6 to see.

in spvp at the plat level im playing against the same 10 people. theres a massive number of bots too. The rewards and maps havent been touched in ages my man. 

and even with alliances, its been over 2500 days since theyve changed the maps and the rewards. 

only reason strikes got changed was because they dropped the ball on release and it almost backfired. Anet still has a huge struggle with keeping up with genuine updates to the game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

In my opinion GW2 often does world bosses and metas poorly. By designing a game where things like dodging and timing defensive skill use are integral to success while simultaneously spammimg so much visual noise that even seeing your foe can be a challenge they have created an environment where this sort of content is frustrating at best and migraine inducing at times.

I prefer instanced content because not only can I see the enemy, I can see my friends' cool characters too. Also, in 5 to 10 man content, I can have a sense of my own contribution to our group's success. In large scale open world boss fights, generally,  I know that if one player just stood nearby and did nothing at all the outcome would be no different than if he played his best. If his contribution is effectively zero, no matter what be does, then what is the point? 

For some reason Anet hates instanced content, even though its the most successful and enjoyable content in the game.  They have so many avenues as well to have really good instanced content through dungeons and fractals but they just dont care. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

What exactly was broken with the mistlock instabilities?

Refer to Fractal Mistlock Instability Improvements section of the July 19, 2022 Update Notes.

Oh thought you were talking about this that recently got fixed

Fractals

Fixed an issue that prevented players from interacting with Mistlock Singularities after a party wipe.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/118935-game-update-notes-august-2-2022/?tab=comments#comment-1724411

7 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

What exactly was broken with the mistlock instabilities?

You do realize that the only reason why they keep tweaking them every now and them is because every time they do, new issues with the system keep cropping up? The changes are not an "upgrade" to the already existing system, but more like (another) attempt to make the system work well.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Liisjak.4509 said:

Also why does it take months/years to complete a legendary set in pvp/wvw but you can craft in weeks by doing pve? The bias is real.

Yeah and then you don’t even get an animated skin

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You do realize that the only reason why they keep tweaking them every now and them is because every time they do, new issues with the system keep cropping up? The changes are not an "upgrade" to the already existing system, but more like (another) attempt to make the system work well.

Your point being?

Please read the comment chain.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, Diak Atoli.2085 said:

New story. New maps to explore. New jumping puzzles. New achievements to hunt down. New strike missions with challenge modes. Nine new elite specializations. New mount with a unique style. New armor sets. New legendary weapons.

I'm content with it, but maybe I'm just the targeted audience... 🤷‍♂️

I think they meant repeatable content. The couple strike missions and meta events are the only things which qualify and they are super short and boring.

Like I do enjoy a decent short repeatable content , as I used to like fractals until they became a chore without any changes. It takes a particular kind of player to like the new stuff and the oh cringe - story. 

I know this may be confusing to grasp for many here but that’s the point of view from outside of the target audience

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Although GW2 isn't really the same as "every other MMO".

Also, I've never understood why people play Massively Multiplayer Online games only to then lock themselves away in instanced content with limited player numbers.

Surely the draw of an MMO should be scenarios that leverage that Massively part?

Like world bosses, map metas, WvW, those sorts of things...

When the amount of social interaction is 10x greater in those locked away instances, it does make sense.

I could say the same thing in regards to the massive amount of loners in this game. Who plays an MMORPG only to try to be as alone as possible and reduce their social interaction to 0?

It comes down to how one defines massively:

- is it massive to be 1 of dozens of players with whom you have nothing in common and don't interact in any way? Where is the difference to just having AI companions in a single player game? (some answers here are potentially: "well I like the option of maybe interacting with other players but chose not to", or "I enjoy being part or a group, even if I have no active involvement with anyone else")

- is it massive to have access to a group of other players with whom you interact and socialize on a regular basis, no matter what content you are doing? (and this does not have to mean you do the content with all of them at the same time. Communities form around instanced content and interaction goes beyond the actual content completion)

The answer in both cases comes down to: the actual amount of players involved does not matter, it's the quality of the interaction that matters.

This to some extent reminds me of the (not so recent) studies on loneliness which looked at the increasing amount of people feeling lonely and isolated, while their interaction on social platforms is high. Turns out, you actually need meaningful interactions with other human beings beyond the superficial to not feel lonely.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Can't agree more, especially with the second paragraph! 

And with this background, EoD is indeed somekind of a disappointment to me. 

Story was ok'ish, but as most stories, once you're through, there's little reason to replay it.

Maps... well, visually Seitung, Echovald and for the most parts End of Dragon are quite appealing. Kaineng City however, is absolutely not my taste. I was no fan of the bladerunner-esque preview, but I was somewhat open to it, if implemented well. But what we got are huge chunks of concrete separating empty spaces from each other. No big city feeling at all, just ugly empty spaces for the most parts. In addition, the maps are (or feel) far less player populated than any other maps.

Elite specs.... oh boy, where to start. One might think a company learns from past mistakes. At some point during GW1 they realized that the game became unbalanceable by the sheer amount of possible combinations that were inherent to the dual class and attribute system. So they took a very different approach with GW2 but instead of realizing after PoF, that Elite specs bloat up possibly choices to a point where balancing becomes a nightmare, they added another set of E-Specs. And -oh the surprise!- now they're desperatly trying to fix the mess they created, even though it still feels like random shots in the dark, hoping to hit a lucky shot.

The new strikes are also nothing I'd put on the "pro" side. The IBS ones were some nice and quick rumble every now and then. But the EoD ones? I just can't connect with them. On normal mode they just take too long for their pitty rewards, yet are no real challenge or fun at all. Just bloated HP sponges with very easy mechanics. And for the CMs... they share the difficulty of raids and the same "once per week" reward structure, but the feeling is just not the same. There's just something special about how raid wings connect the different boss encounters that makes them stand out and -to me- much more enjoyable than EoD Strikes. 

Turtle... well, I'm glad I could dump all those Drizzlewood siege blueprints, but that's it.

Edited by Nash.2681
typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

When the amount of social interaction is 10x greater in those locked away instances, it does make sense.

I could say the same thing in regards to the massive amount of loners in this game. Who plays an MMORPG only to try to be as alone as possible and reduce their social interaction to 0?

It comes down to how one defines massively:

- is it massive to be 1 of dozens of players with whom you have nothing in common and don't interact in any way? Where is the difference to just having AI companions in a single player game? (some answers here are potentially: "well I like the option of maybe interacting with other players but chose not to", or "I enjoy being part or a group, even if I have no active involvement with anyone else")

- is it massive to have access to a group of other players with whom you interact and socialize on a regular basis, no matter what content you are doing? (and this does not have to mean you do the content with all of them at the same time. Communities form around instanced content and interaction goes beyond the actual content completion)

The answer in both cases comes down to: the actual amount of players involved does not matter, it's the quality of the interaction that matters.

This to some extent reminds me of the (not so recent) studies on loneliness which looked at the increasing amount of people feeling lonely and isolated, while their interaction on social platforms is high. Turns out, you actually need meaningful interactions with other human beings beyond the superficial to not feel lonely.

Precisely. Which is exactly why trying to force social interactions and grouping will never work well.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be pushed to play with those you don't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Precisely. Which is exactly why trying to force social interactions and grouping will never work well.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be pushed to play with those you don't.

Yes then play with the ones you want to play with and learn the normal EoD strikes they have no timer you can take 8 hours to kill it if you need that long.

Or if you dont want the reward tied to that content then go do what ever you want with who ever you want noone is stoping you from playing the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

If there's only one game mode in the entire game, then I would agree. Calling it not supported content is rather disingenuous. Sure, we would all like to have all game modes updated and added to as often as possible but with a game this size, they have to set their priorities, especially with the released of EoD.

There's nothing disingenuous about observing that 1 fractal every 2 years is not supporting the content.  Fractals would be more popular if they received regular content updates.  They do not.  Facts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

If you’ve been around the full 10 years it’s definitely a big difference from what they used to deliver. But it’s been a crazy few years at the studio. Season 1 is probably a pain to implement but in general it feels like less people working on the game now. With people working on the expansion and the steam release maybe they’ve had to restructure and have been stretched thin. 

Looked like they were hiring so best case - they’re stretched thin and having to fill multiple hats. Worst case - they’ve moved people off to another IP and just aren’t investing as much into this as the others.

They may also be intentionally holding back from implementing a lot of new content because of the steam release. I’m just not sure how valuable steam release is at this point. It’s great people think it’s going to be some mass influx of people because it shows they hope for the game to be successful but I’ve personally had a difficult time convincing people to play that have played it in the past and left. 

The new player experience is still pretty poor from sPVP needing more game modes or somekind of matchmaking in unranked, to different formats, wvw being imbalanced servers, to years and years of systems and features that either got reiterated on and abandoned or just abandoned in general. 

Dungeons are kind of a staple of mmo’s and are way different than what we have with one boss strike missions, raids which are slightly more accessible now, and open world content that’s generally face on keyboard because you have 60 plus people beating away at the boss and pumping out boons. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Fractals would be more popular if they received regular content updates.  They do not.  Facts.

That is nowhere near a fact.  What data or evidence do you have that fractals would indeed be more popular?  I'm guessing Anet knows more about what is popular which is why their resources are targeted to other areas.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

On 8/16/2022 at 3:08 PM, Odin.6487 said:

you mean the 4 meta events that you run on repeat?

"Dear Anet ... EoD lacks content, especially if I ignore all the content you included"

Not a very honest approach to a complaint. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

True and I agree, unfortunately what you do not account for is the extent to which some people/players demand the game be changed to suit their loner desires even more.

There wouldn't be a need to "encouraging" players to socialize, or it would not seem this large of an issue, if not far to many aspects of this game were already far to unsocial. While it's fine and dandy to keep those aspects the way they are (I personally think the game is far to "solo" friendly, but that is my personal opinion) it most certainly does NOT warrant expanding upon this.

What the game needs is MORE socialization and reasons for players to get to know others, not less. This certainly does not have to be done via only challenging content. It does need to be done though via diverse content and in some cases making some players move out of their comfort zone.

Simply put:

This game should not be designed around the loner and unsocial player first and foremost. While it's fine to have players approach content this way, even if only occasionally (hey, I too enjoy my occasional no interaction and just tag along meta evening), the game needs to keep its focus on what it actually is: a MMORPG.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That is nowhere near a fact.  What data or evidence do you have that fractals would indeed be more popular?  I'm guessing Anet knows more about what is popular which is why their resources are targeted to other areas.

I didn't think a self-evident claim like "Having new content is more popular than expecting your players to repeat years-old content endlessly." required evidence. 

I tell you what.  While I'm at it I'll try to find you a citation to prove that icecream is more popular than a kick in the balls. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I didn't think a self-evident claim like "Having new content is more popular than expecting your players to repeat years-old content endlessly." required evidence. 

I tell you what.  While I'm at it I'll try to find you a citation to prove that icecream is more popular than a kick in the balls. 🙄

We all know your agenda with regards to Fractals.  Statements that you make as fact, which clearly are not, do not help your argument.

And Anet has released a lot of new content lately, so I really don't know what you're on about there.  Unless you're talking only about Fractals which, again, don't appear to be as popular in Anet's vision due to the resources being spent on LS, raids and strikes.

Sarcasm doesn't help your argument either.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5