I don’t get why folks are excited by steam release

25 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

stop calling it conspiracy. there are already folks who announced to have gw2 in original client and also in steam client running simultaneously to make the game look more active on steam. 

same happened already with the free heroic edition key + pof half price campaign. these fanatics think they support the game developement with spending like that what is not happening. anet was like "oh we have a growth in new players". But these where our credit card heros registering new accounts in special offer campaign.

same people are already all over reddit ala "we need to bring all guides up to date" "think about how we can hook them steam guys up" "we need to help them"...  as if next week all maps are suddenly swarmed by millions of new players... these oversupportive people have the rose color glasses on losing all realism once again.

This is not anets doing. This is the community. Were you present when anet discussed steam release? Or do you have any information from a trustworthy source that what you said is the actual truth of this situation? If not then yes. It is indeed a conspiracy theory. But by all means you’re free to believe anything you want 🙂 

oh and btw. Reddit is like the jungle telegram. Like when your neighbors are telling all the gossip and juicy stuff just to make ppl believe the strangest things about ppl they do not like. If you trust redditors and take them as facts, that tells me everything I need to know. 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Freya.9075 said:

This conspiracy theory is fascinating to me. Why would players who have accounts decide to buy another purely based on steam release? 

if this theory was true, why do they not milk players with subscriptions and p2w factors in gemstore already? Quite imaginative this one. Entertaining though, I’ll give you that. 

I have a 10 year old account, and I'll gladly purchase another one, just to start fresh. So there's no conspiracy, it's true. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person willing to do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Just now, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I have a 10 year old account, and I'll gladly purchase another one, just to start fresh. So there's no conspiracy, it's true. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person willing to do that.

Oh for sure that’s not what I am saying at all. I am sure some players wants to have a fresh new start. That’s all good. What I’m saying is anet has their reasons for not linking existing accounts to steam. But those reasons are for sure not the reasons the person I quoted thinks. That’s the conspiracy theory. 

i think one of the reasons they don’t link is to prevent the 30% reduced income from steam accounts. Which is a good thing if you think about it. But I don’t know their true reasons for it. Only anet does. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Why wait on a Steam release to buy a new account to start fresh?

• Thanks 5

34 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Oh for sure that’s not what I am saying at all. I am sure some players wants to have a fresh new start. That’s all good. What I’m saying is anet has their reasons for not linking existing accounts to steam. But those reasons are for sure not the reasons the person I quoted thinks. That’s the conspiracy theory. 

i think one of the reasons they don’t link is to prevent the 30% reduced income from steam accounts. Which is a good thing if you think about it. But I don’t know their true reasons for it. Only anet does. 

we talk again next week when you will see all anet partners showing off their new steam accounts on twitch stream.

"yeah i got me a steam account to check it out and aaaawww its so nice i love it, i can also support the game this way and it gets more attention on steam, can only recommend it to you guys its so awesome *peeeepsy voice*"

• Confused 4

10 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I too am rather astonished at how (thankfully very few) people think that Steam users are necessarily or a majority more toxic than this playerbase.  I'd be willing to bet that a plurality if not the majority of GW2's playerbase are already Steam users. 

Speaking for myself only: Yes, I do have a Steam account and I use it a lot. I often hope I don't come off as toxic, but I know that sometimes I can be a real...butthead. Yep. As for people getting excited/dreading/being indifferent towards the Steam release, I feel neutral. I approach this like I do with most things: I hope for the best and expect the worse. XD

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

we talk again next week when you will see all anet partners showing off their new steam accounts on twitch stream.

"yeah i got me a steam account to check it out and aaaawww its so nice i love it, i can also support the game this way and it gets more attention on steam, can only recommend it to you guys its so awesome *peeeepsy voice*"

Oh yes, cause anets partners are the majority of steam players am i right. Cause ofc the new influx of players can impossibly be new players that prefer to play games on steam. Even if all the partners get new accounts, what does that have to do with the new player influx? They are not new players. Most players doesn’t even follow or watch them. I watch mukluk sometimes cause I like his humor. But most of the players I know just know of them. They don’t watch their content. And why is it wrong that the partners tell that they like the game? Is it a bad thing that they might get new players to come? I got questions 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

I know I tend to be overly optimistic, and it does come back to bite me.

But you know there's a level of bitterness that will just ruin your GI system, right? Your cardiovascular system, too.

• Thanks 4

To put dirt over that grave once and for all : the fact that existing account cannot link to steam is Not on Anet and is common to almost all MMos on Steam. Both Steam and the MMo lack the required architecture to make it possible, not to mention that means a Whole lot of legal issues due to having seperate ToS and in fact, seperate services provided. 

Like it or not, those ToS are exclusively passed between the customer and the service provider. The only point in time where you dont have a problem is when the distributing platform Owns the service, because the ToS signed are still signed with the same company. In this case, NCsoft is not owned, nor joined to Steam, hence they do not share ToS, and so account information is not shared. It is purely on that account information issue that things do not work legally. It's a tricky thing made trickier by the various laws of all the covered countries. 

For those who want it simple : There is a reason that basically no MMo on Steam allows for linked account and that's because it's a big mess that is often enough not worth it. Existing accounts can add Guild Wars 2 to their library and have almost the same benefits as Steam created accounts.

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

ah okay, I misunderstood. I personally do think that the not allowing linking is either due to money, or simply, some spaghetti in their code that would be more effort than it's worth, but like you, I don't know for sure. My guess would be money, that's the simplest explanation imo though.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, roederich.2716 said:

Wait, so you think that five or six "partners" with a grand total of something like 25 followers and average youtube viewership that can be counted on one hand represent some sort of grand conspiracy? Seriously? 

Ooh, maybe they will all create multiple steam accounts just to buy GW2 and artificially inflate the steam numbers by 10.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:38 AM, roederich.2716 said:

As if a new player who manages to install the game got no brain, education and cant read and write… jesus. A new player is not a baby without experience in life.

It's been my observation that many individuals in computer gaming absolutely lack even the desire to think for themselves. Every one of them needs everything spoon-fed and completely explained in even the smallest detail. Afterwards, they believe themselves entitled to everything a game has to offer with no effort on their part. At the end, they're just another perma-idler in the main hub map geared up in everything possible and telling players just like they were to "kitten n00b".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Love the instant assumption that steam equals an influx of toxic players, when your post it's itself toxic. Do you see the irony here? 

I for one can't wait. The economy gets going again and noobs need kitten that no one's needed in forever. 

Just roll with it, or jump ship. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

What are "Steam Players"? Are they some sort of a hive with hive minds? Do they all play the same way? Will they steal my loots? Will they all play Rifle Engi? Do I really care?

To me they are all just individuals like you and I. Just some new players as we always see except that the influx might be a lot higher than normal. 

So polish up your mentor and commander tags even if you're practically new. Puff up your chests and boss them around. It's time to show off your cheap outfits that they don't have yet. Show off your legendary Prismatic Champion's Regalia and brag about how awesome and knowledgeable you are to all these newbies.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:49 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Tons of player reports incoming -- the poor souls at game support should brace themselves. 😆

bro i know people who have been reported in pvp more then 300 times in multiple seasons and nothing has been done to them. pvp reports go straight in the trash can.

• Sad 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:17 AM, Freya.9075 said:

This conspiracy theory is fascinating to me. Why would players who have accounts decide to buy another purely based on steam release? 

if this theory was true, why do they not milk players with subscriptions and p2w factors in gemstore already? Quite imaginative this one. Entertaining though, I’ll give you that. 

While I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory, and despite having a Steam account, I won't be getting it there, there will be players that will.  They'll want their Steam achievements, on top of whatever else Steam has to offer.