Sylvari Still Best Ranger Race?

Mic.1897

Hello all.

Coming back after a few years and starting fresh on a new toon. Was wondering if Sylvari was still the strongest race for Ranger with the occasional Sylvan Hound use.

Yes, I know the difference is extremely minor and don't need the "play what looks good" stuff.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

27 minutes ago, Beddo.1907 said:

The difference is pretty much nonexistent. Getting starter pets of other races takes a few minutes if you know what you are doing.

OP is talking about cultural skills.

They are all rubbish and not worth slotting unless you are either role playing or using some silly meme norn transformation build for lulls,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Abyssisis.3971 said:

They are all rubbish and not worth slotting unless you are either role playing or using some silly meme norn transformation build for lulls,

Last time I was playing Sylvan Hound was higher dps than all other elites for core and condi Ranger.

Is this no longer the case?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

45 minutes ago, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Ah I forgot the elite is called the same as the pet. My bad.

I'll chip in and say that Norn is probably the best race for ranger. Functionally most racial skills don't matter, but there are...interesting...interactions with Become the Bear, might stacking, and soulbeast's ability to gain pet stats and traits.

Largely useless in PvE, but hilarious for a bit in WvW 😄 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Except it didnt for the purposes of soulbeast, which was your DPS prior to EoD for power and condi. One Wolf Pack was better.

But for core Ranger is Sylvari still the best?

4 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Races are designed so none of them are the 'best' by design. As much as I'd love a mastery to buff racial skills so they're usable right now they're not at all. 

Yeah but sometimes they shine through. Become the Bear in that fractal I forget the name of for example.

• Confused 6

17 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

Coming back after a few years and starting fresh on a new toon. Was wondering if Sylvari was still the strongest race for Ranger with the occasional Sylvan Hound use.

Races are merely cosmetic. The Summon Sylvan Hound elite skill is not being used in any endgame build, therefore isn't as strong as you imagine it with its 3 minutes cooldown. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Entangle would likely still be the best. Either way entangle is still consistent.

Still? Sylvan outperformed it in PoF for core

I don't see any changes in either ability for EoD so I imagine it'd still be superior in this case

• Haha 4
  • Confused 3

Interesting topic I never knew any of the racial skills had any use.

Honestly thematically you could bring a fun build into most PvE content (maybe not a CM strike or Raid)

I mean I could see a Golemancer build for an Asura Mechanist being fun.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Sad 1

So far I believe the point is being missed. I am not trying to force use a racial, but there have been times when Sylvan Hound has been meta and I was wondering if anyone thinks it's possible we may have a situation like that again some day.

Edited by Mic.1897
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Mic.1897 said:

So far I believe the point is being missed. I am not trying to force use a racial, but there have been times when Sylvan Hound has been meta and I was wondering if anyone thinks it's possible we may have a situation like that again some day.

We gave you the answer- no. It sounds like you are trying to force the point.

Here's your answer. No.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Neither Sylvan Hound - nor any other racial for any race/class - has been meta since I started playing. But then, that's only about 3 years now.

A few "fun" and/or meme builds might use a racial for the grins, but that's it as far as I've ever heard. Sylvan Hound in particular isn't used in any builds by Snow Crows, dT, etc., and those guys are all about efficiency and dps. 

And no one in competitive modes is going to use Sylvan Hound. 

Race choice is all about aesthetics, animations, head-canon, and "just-'cuz-I-like-and-decided-it's-best" decisions. There is absolutely no race that is meta for any particular class or elite ... and that goes for racials or any other reason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

Last time I was playing Sylvan Hound was higher dps than all other elites for core and condi Ranger.

Is this no longer the case?

If you are concerned about dps, then you should be looking at the elite specs, not some trash racial skill to use on core ranger. If you want to play core ranger, then play whatever you want, you aren’t going to be doing  much dps anyway.

Edited by Abyssisis.3971
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Sylvan. Hound. Is. Not. Meta.

3 hours ago, Abyssisis.3971 said:

If you are concerned about dps, then you should be looking at the elite specs, not some trash racial skill to use on core ranger. If you want to play core ranger, then play whatever you want, you aren’t going to be doing  much dps anyway.

The thread is not talking about present day meta builds

Regardless, I did receive my answer elsewhere. Should condi or core Ranger rise again Sylvari will still be the best race, as Hound still benchmarks higher than Entangle.

Have a good day everyone. 

Edited by Mic.1897
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 8