Masteries pop-ups

This is a bit trivial, but thought I'd try to get it out of the way before the system gets swamped with new Steam-players.
      My issue is a "pop-up' that keeps coming up in my game.  Virtually any time I do anything with any character, I get a notice saying:  "Your current ability is fully trained and ready to master!"
      This is fine, and I understand that it is designed to attract attention.  However, the problem is that I do not care.  Between GW1 and GW2 I've been playing about 15 years - And I'm not playing for "masteries".  I have no particular interest in masteries, achievements, or even PVP.   I imagine I will eventually acquire more mastery-points just by wandering around, but have no interest in actively seeking them  (Though I've probably accrued enough exp for a dozen more "mastery points")  - It's just not what I play for.
     Meanwhile, this pop-up is constantly covering the chat and otherwise distracting every time anything happens in the game.  Yes, I can click on the "x" to remove it - For about 10 seconds (unless I'm in a battle, in which case it comes back in about half a second). It makes communicating difficult.
     It's become every bit as annoying as a 20 minute ad in a 3 minute YouTube video.  I can find no way to shut it off (It isn't under "Hide Optional Announcements"), or even move it out of the way.  So the question is: How do I get rid of, or move, this thing?
     In GW1 I could resize and relocate virtually the entire interface, piece by piece - So why isn't that possible in GW2?
     No one in-game has any ideas beyond "Go work on your masteries" - To which my answer is : "No".
     I have 7 level 80 characters wandering around and if I try to fulfill masteries with all of their compiled exp, I won't have time to do anything else. It would turn the game into "work", and I would come to hate it.  Part of the problem is that I have gone out of my way to get a couple mastery-points to alleviate this, but I have enough piled-up exp that it just comes right back.  And I simply don't want to devote all my time to this.
     Also, in my opinion, nagging doesn't help and doesn't belong in the game.
    "Support" tells me "...this notification cannot be turned off until the Mastery has been trained...",  "...it is not possible for us...to relocate this notification nor is there a way in game for these to be changed..."  And finally "...if you would like to request a change to how this notification appears, please reach out on the official Guild Wars 2 forums...".     
     So here I am.
     Is there any way to allow the player to decide for themselves whether they should be constantly harassed about "Masteries"?  If Anet has time to arbitrarily switch turning and strafing, why can't they do something about this?
     Any advice regarding this would be appreciated... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Well Masteries are part of the game and all you need to do is open the mastery window and select a new mastery to train and/or spend a few mastery points.  If you select a completed Mastery Tree I believe it will stop letting you know it can be upgraded. 

I don’t really understand though, that someone who has played the franchise for 15 years would be so against one of the primary features of progression and opening content in the game.  As well, so reticent to actually just click a few buttons to stop the pop ups.  I mean, if you really don’t want to see them you don’t have to log in either but that is probably a less desired alternative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Ok so I thought this was going to be about hey I don't enough mastery points to unlock the fully filled/trained mastery.  Nope.  

It's a part of the gameplay...click on mastery, train it, spend those mastery points.  Problem solved.  Do you just sit around and rp?  There are some neat skills they unlock.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I truly failed to see it as a persistent issue. If you have Mastery points, use them all up. If you don't care about them, just choose any. It'll take quite a while before the XP bar is full again.Once your mastery points are used up, don't get anymore, especially the Insights. No mastery points = no more pop-ups.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 3

I remember getting constant nags while I was levelling masteries, that I couldn't get rid of because while I had the XP, I didn't have the points, or vice versa.

There does seem to be a contextual problem with mastery nags, where they don't recognise if you can't unlock them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

To be fair, my attitude may be unusual - But also, you guys don't seem to be "getting it".   

On 8/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

Do you just sit around and rp?

YES.  You have some kind of problem with that?  Do I not have the right to do that?  I am a long-term, very loyal "filthy casual".  Is that okay with you guys?
     Part of the problem for me is that the "mastery points" are often tied into story progression - And I really don't care about the "story".  I didn't care about it much in GW1 and I don't care much about it GW2.  I've gotten several mastery points in
Path of Fire, a few in Heart of Thorns - and even one or two in End of Dragons,  but it just doesn't end.  Every time I obtain a point, the pop-up immediately comes back because I already have enough experience gathered for the next one - And probably the next one after that... 

I like the environment.  I like exploration. I like the community - the helping other players, the mucking around and the camaraderie.  I don't care about titles (except Legendary Cartographer in GW1), fashion, PVP or Masteries.   It's not that I can't get mastery points, it's that I'm not any more interested in them than I am in taking up embroidery. 
    There's an old game called Shenmue, where you had to get a job driving a forklift.  Guess what I did for a living when that game came out?  Think I wanted to come home from work driving a forklift and play a game driving a forklift?   The point you're missing is that the insistence on chasing masteries changes the game from a recreation into a JOB.  I don't need or want a job, and I don't want a game nagging at me.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:41 PM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

would be so against one of the primary features of progression

Not against it at all.  I just want it to be optional - And it's only "progression" if it's going in the direction you want to go.

so reticent to actually just click a few buttons to stop the pop ups

Which buttons?  A little help here?  You don't have an answer for that, do you?

If you select a completed Mastery Tree I believe it will stop letting you know it can be upgraded.

Not so far...

if you really don’t want to see them you don’t have to log in either

Cute.  That works for She-Hulk or Picard, but I'm not talking about a TV show.

On 8/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, Silent.6137 said:

If you have Mastery points, use them all up

I did.  I even hunted down extra ones.  It's boring and makes me want to go do something else...

It'll take quite a while before the XP bar is full again

Nope.  I have 7 level-80 characters.  I didn't use "boosts" to get them there.  Mastery points are by account, not character.

I seem to have enough exp points that the only way to get rid of the pop-up is to get all mastery points, which would turn the game into work.  Not fun.

Once your mastery points are used up, don't get anymore

Doesn't work that way.  Experience gathered after level 80 goes toward Mastery-Tracks.  It is the "experience" that triggers the pop-up.  The pop-up is just saying that I have enough experience to use another mastery-point.  The reason I'm not interested in hunting down another mastery point is that I've already done that several times, and it doesn't help.  I seem to have enough exp stashed away somewhere that the pop-up just instantly comes back asking for another mastery point.  
     I'm really just tired of it, and none of it matters except for the constant nagging of that pop-up.  As stated before, I imagine I'll eventually come across the mastery points in my wanderings - No problem.  The issue is the pop-up that I can't even move out of the way.  It's exactly like an unblockable ad online...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, MacLean.4087 said:

To be fair, my attitude may be unusual - But also, you guys don't seem to be "getting it".   

YES.  You have some kind of problem with that?  Do I not have the right to do that?  I am a long-term, very loyal "filthy casual".  Is that okay with you guys?
     Part of the problem for me is that the "mastery points" are often tied into story progression - And I really don't care about the "story".  I didn't care about it much in GW1 and I don't care much about it GW2.  I've gotten several mastery points in
Path of Fire, a few in Heart of Thorns - and even one or two in End of Dragons,  but it just doesn't end.  Every time I obtain a point, the pop-up immediately comes back because I already have enough experience gathered for the next one - And probably the next one after that... 

I like the environment.  I like exploration. I like the community - the helping other players, the mucking around and the camaraderie.  I don't care about titles (except Legendary Cartographer in GW1), fashion, PVP or Masteries.   It's not that I can't get mastery points, it's that I'm not any more interested in them than I am in taking up embroidery. 
    There's an old game called Shenmue, where you had to get a job driving a forklift.  Guess what I did for a living when that game came out?  Think I wanted to come home from work driving a forklift and play a game driving a forklift?   The point you're missing is that the insistence on chasing masteries changes the game from a recreation into a JOB.  I don't need or want a job, and I don't want a game nagging at me.

Not against it at all.  I just want it to be optional - And it's only "progression" if it's going in the direction you want to go.

Not so far...

Cute.  That works for She-Hulk or Picard, but I'm not talking about a TV show.

I did.  I even hunted down extra ones.  It's boring and makes me want to go do something else...

Nope.  I have 7 level-80 characters.  I didn't use "boosts" to get them there.  Mastery points are by account, not character.

I seem to have enough exp points that the only way to get rid of the pop-up is to get all mastery points, which would turn the game into work.  Not fun.

Doesn't work that way.  Experience gathered after level 80 goes toward Mastery-Tracks.  It is the "experience" that triggers the pop-up.  The pop-up is just saying that I have enough experience to use another mastery-point.  The reason I'm not interested in hunting down another mastery point is that I've already done that several times, and it doesn't help.  I seem to have enough exp stashed away somewhere that the pop-up just instantly comes back asking for another mastery point.  
     I'm really just tired of it, and none of it matters except for the constant nagging of that pop-up.  As stated before, I imagine I'll eventually come across the mastery points in my wanderings - No problem.  The issue is the pop-up that I can't even move out of the way.  It's exactly like an unblockable ad online...

No, I completely understand what you're saying.  It's beyond obnoxious.  When I first started playing, I absolutely hated that and the little icon that wants you to buy expansions.  I think they should find some less annoying way to remind you...once at long in perhaps, then leave me alone.  

However, the only way now to get rid of the mastery one is to obtain enough to unlock and train in it.  I had this issue with the central Tyria one for a long time.  No, it won't go away, yes it's maddening. 

I understand that you're super casual, or don't enjoy playing the story or a lot of the content.  But unfortunately it's a poorly designed aspect of the game that encourages you to go make it stop.  So if you don't wish do the story, the mastery points, or the living world seasons, or other achievements just so you can unlock some of the helpful aspects of the game that the majority of players use, then I'm afraid you have reached an impasse.  

Anet, please get rid of the annoying pop up.  Seriously, it is annoying.  

• Like 3

I think you only get this popup if you have mastery points available to spend. Just spend them and go about your day, then you don't have to worry about it anymore?

To players saying "this happened to me too in the past" that was a bug and they likely fixed it. I've left many tracks full of XP and unmastered for quite some time since the End of Dragons release and haven't once got this popup, and I've not heard of the problem from newer players for quite some time.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I think you only get this popup if you have mastery points available to spend. Just spend them and go about your day, then you don't have to worry about it anymore?

To players saying "this happened to me too in the past" that was a bug and they likely fixed it. I've left many tracks full of XP and unmastered for quite some time since the End of Dragons release and haven't once got this popup, and I've not heard of the problem from newer players for quite some time.

Good to know, thank you! Haven't had the issue in a couple of years since I finished the masteries and have finished the EoD ones. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MacLean.4087 said:

Selective Quoting for the win!!!

On 8/18/2022 at 2:41 PM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

Well Masteries are part of the game and all you need to do is open the mastery window and select a new mastery to train and/or spend a few mastery points.

But to your point in the OP:

On 8/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, MacLean.4087 said:

I have 7 level 80 characters wandering around and if I try to fulfill masteries with all of their compiled exp, I won't have time to do anything else. It would turn the game into "work", and I would come to hate it.  Part of the problem is that I have gone out of my way to get a couple mastery-points to alleviate this, but I have enough piled-up exp that it just comes right back.  And I simply don't want to devote all my time to this.

It should not be giving you a pop-up if you have enough XP but not enough Mastery.  I confirmed on my secondary account in Core, Hot and PoF that having the XP but not the Mastery Points does not cause this message.  I also confirmed that you may not get the pop up if you have both the XP and the MP to spend.

It appears this message was intended to alert players to unlock the Mastery system on their account after they reached their first level 80.  It also appears there was a known bug which was then resolved where this message would not go away after unlocking the Mastery system.

Going back to your above quote, it sounds like you have unlocked the Mastery system, and since you shouldn't be getting a pop-up for having the XP and not the Mastery Points, I wonder what is actually happening here.

• Like 5

On 8/18/2022 at 9:38 PM, MacLean.4087 said:

My issue is a "pop-up' that keeps coming up in my game.

That's very old issue, many years old, earlier you couldn't even spend points as masteries system was locked, until you unlocked it one way or another, basically you needed to start expansion story to be able to stop the pop-up.

Lately they changed it, currently it should be unlocked just at level 80, so probably you should be able to spend points.

Of course it's still wrong to get constant pop-up. Normally you should be able to freely collect points as you wish.

Probably it will be still the problem if you would like to collect points for more expensive mastery. Didn't check now, but earlier pop-up nagged to waste points on the cheapest mastery from any other track, while I was trying to complete fully one I chosen.

Edited by DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/21/2022 at 6:26 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

I'm afraid you have reached an impasse

I'm afraid you're probably correct.  The only reason I'm asking here is because Anet's support people suggested that I look for a solution on the forums, since they had none to offer.   So, I was just hoping someone might have some method that would deal with it.   At least in GW1 I could individually resize and relocate every part of the UI.  Seems silly that it can't be done in GW2.  

Then I could at least move it to the upper left corner, where it would be less bothersome. 

On 8/21/2022 at 9:08 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I think you only get this popup if you have mastery points available to spend

Not the way it seems to be working for me.  Near as I can tell, I have plenty of exp and have used all the mastery-points I've gathered so far.  The game wants me to spend all my time going all over the place and "communing" with mastery points.  I simply don't want to do this.  I still have chairs to appreciate and at least one set of diving goggles to try on...

On 8/21/2022 at 9:08 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

that was a bug and they likely fixed it

I suspect that I'll have to consider that to be very "debatable"

On 8/22/2022 at 5:51 AM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

confirmed on my secondary account in Core, Hot and PoF that having the XP but not the Mastery Points does not cause this message

I'm honestly glad that this isn't an issue for you.  However, I fear that your secondary account seems to have no actual bearing on the matter.  I have characters in Core, HoT, Pof and EoD, and all of them have this exact problem.  Any slight "injury" (jumping from a cliff, being attacked) apparently generates some couple points of exp, which brings up the pop-up telling me that I now have fully-trained a mastery and I must do something about it.  Very annoying - Particularly if I'm trying to communicate with other players at the time.  There have been times where I've gotten killed because I was trying to unblock the chat when I should have been dodging or something.  At least I've learned to ignore it that much, but team-members tend to think I'm not listening.
     (Btw, didn't mean to imply that the message comes up in the chat - It overlays it - But everyone probably knows that)

On 8/22/2022 at 5:51 AM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

appears there was a known bug which was then resolved

Again, debatable.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:06 AM, DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49 said:

That's very old issue

Yes it is.   The fact of the matter is that it really started bugging me a couple years ago, but I've just "put up" with it until now.  I simply figured that it might be wise to try and see if there was a solution before the Steam launch comes along - Because I suspect that Anet's support and the forums will be getting swamped with new players shortly.
    Aside from this, I know I can seem a bit snarky, so I should point out that I really do appreciate the feedback on this, whether a solution surfaces or not.   
   I know, for example that mastery points are available in PVP, so I'm appreciative of the fact that my disinterest in PVP is accepted and no one has said: "Just do 400 hours of PVP".  (That was actually why I wound up making my own guild in GW1)  No disrespect to those who enjoy it, but if I wanted to do PVP, I'd be playing Call of Duty or Halo...
     Speaking of which, should probably be looking for a guild before all the Steam players flood the market with guilds that will last 3 months...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:20 PM, MacLean.4087 said:

At least in GW1 I could individually resize and relocate every part of the UI.  Seems silly that it can't be done in GW2. 

True, UI was better, here you can't even set larger size of the mini-map, its re-size it's very limited, on bigger screens there is plenty of space for larger mini-map, but you can't.

Yes it is.   The fact of the matter is that it really started bugging me a couple years ago, but I've just "put up" with it until now.  I simply figured that it might be wise to try and see if there was a solution before the Steam launch comes along - Because I suspect that Anet's support and the forums will be getting swamped with new players shortly.
    Aside from this, I know I can seem a bit snarky, so I should point out that I really do appreciate the feedback on this, whether a solution surfaces or not.   

So it was worse before. They finally, after many years, supposedly made masteries unlocked by lvl 80, just lately, at the end of 2022-05, probably only because of the Steam.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2022-05-24

So you can re-check how it's behaving currently. Though, it's very likely it's still nagging when you collect points for one track, as update didn't mention it, but should be re-checked to be sure what's exactly still wrong.

(Btw, didn't mean to imply that the message comes up in the chat - It overlays it - But everyone probably knows that)

Yup, it's that bad, most likely on purpose to interrupt gameplay, but you can move chat to upper corner, still bad though. Other option is pressing Esc key to close it every time, you can automate it, still not nice, they didn't add normal option to disable pop-ups for years.

I know, for example that mastery points are available in PVP, so I'm appreciative of the fact that my disinterest in PVP is accepted and no one has said: "Just do 400 hours of PVP".  (That was actually why I wound up making my own guild in GW1)

WvW has similar system, but those are separate from PvE. You need to earn points separately for WvW and PvE, for example for gliding, even with maxed PvE masteries you can't fly at WvW until you earn it there.

Some masteries' points for PvE you can get also from Fractals or Raids.

• Like 1