How would you make sPvP more about killing the opponent and removing edge-cases?

Malus.2184

What I would do

1. Halve the duration of all blocks, parries, reflects, and bullet destructions in PvP that are fire-and-forget. Using range, I've discovered how extremely destructive they are and how easy, especially the two latter completely shuts me down. Blocks that requires a channel that prevents you from doing anything else and if you do anything else they stop are fine.

2. Halve the distance of all instant movement abilities used without a target and away from the enemy. PvP is about facing the consequences of your actions instead of being able to run away from them without any difficulty.

3. Generally improve the Reaper-specific abilities and traits in sPvP in exchange, Reaper Shroud should absorb at most 50% of the damage done. At 100% it's a disgustingly good ability that prevents the Reaper from ever being balanced since if they were they would be OP. That's how good having two health bars is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6

Here is how you do that:

You time travel back to 2019.
You equip a berserker amulet on a class that can stealth.
You stack all the damage modifiers you can.
You stealth up and port/leap/charge into range.
You punch the keyboard as hard as you can.
The enemy is dead within 0.2 seconds because your opener is also your finisher.
Repeat it once every 30-40-ishs seconds, and you can win even while ignoring the capture points.

There, an sPvP meta that was about killing the enemy and NOTHING ELSE. Are you sure you want this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bazsi.2734 said:

Here is how you do that:

You time travel back to 2019.
You equip a berserker amulet on a class that can stealth.
You stack all the damage modifiers you can.
You stealth up and port/leap/charge into range.
You punch the keyboard as hard as you can.
The enemy is dead within 0.2 seconds because your opener is also your finisher.
Repeat it once every 30-40-ishs seconds, and you can win even while ignoring the capture points.

There, an sPvP meta that was about killing the enemy and NOTHING ELSE. Are you sure you want this?

Just because damage totals got adjusted doesn't mean that this isn't exactly as simple as how the game plays now (or has always played lmao).  At least OP is sort of suggesting direct attacks on the biggest reasons why GW2 combat is so illegible, uninteractive and generic.

Give other modes besides circlequest. 

Circle quest isn't about kills. It's about holding objectives. 

Circle quest is literally designed to promote bunkers and defensive play, because it forces engagements to take place in a constrained location, being forced off of the tiny circles is a loss in and of itself. Builds that can stand on the circles the longest will naturally succeed. Chasing after kills only rewards a measly 5 points, and if it distracts you from the all important circles, that kill wasn't even worth your time. Especially if the target you're chasing is a bunker designed to hold circles. 

Make new modes that promote aggressive play, allow for more mobile/dynamic combat encounters. Capture the flag, Team Death match, but on much less constrained maps that don't reward AoE spam. Give some development time to stronghold perhaps. 

So long as circlequest is the only game mode, PvP will reward defensive play the most. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Swagg.9236 said:

Just because damage totals got adjusted doesn't mean that this isn't exactly as simple as how the game plays now (or has always played lmao).  At least OP is sort of suggesting direct attacks on the biggest reasons why GW2 combat is so illegible, uninteractive and generic.

PvE might be like that, as in "uninteractive and generic". But when I have to hold/kite a 2v1 in PvP in order to carry a match for my team, it's anything but that. As for illegible... thats subjective. I have no trouble reading small skirmishes, and big fights are clusterf*cks in any MMO I have ever played PvP in.

• Thanks 1