Mech Suggestion

WillPaharu.4837

So I found out mechanist can control their mech when they're in down state? If that's true, I don't think that should be the case. I don' t think mech is a problem or anything, just that it doesn't make sense. Rangers can't control their pets in down state. So why should mechanist be able to control theirs? Logically and thematically, it doesn't add up. And it's also annoying. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 8/20/2022 at 9:20 AM, WillPaharu.4837 said:

So I found out mechanist can control their mech when they're in down state? If that's true, I don't think that should be the case. I don' t think mech is a problem or anything, just that it doesn't make sense. Rangers can't control their pets in down state. So why should mechanist be able to control theirs? Logically and thematically, it doesn't add up. And it's also annoying. 

Rangers can also use their pet command skills in downstate.

If rangers are allowed to do that, I don't see a reason why mechanist shouldn't.

Edited by Kodama.6453

I wish they would have just made mech somekind of shroud/suit you enter and control rather than a pet. Could have 5 weapons kills plus the f abilities with one being the toggle to enter and exit. 

Would have been a lot more fun for me than auto attacking and pressing nukes on cooldown. Could have given it the vindicator dodge mechanic too - leap in the air and launch missles/slam the ground and knockback or stun/land and heal and grant boons or something. 

As it is it's just a far more hard-hitting pet but I guess that's the only niche engineer hasn't been able to fill yet. Apart from casting/spells which will probably be the next elite spec. Watch them get a meteor shower x 5 on auto that dazes and uses magic-tech arrows with longbow or some kitten. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

I wish they would have just made mech somekind of shroud/suit you enter and control rather than a pet. Could have 5 weapons kills plus the f abilities with one being the toggle to enter and exit. 

Would have been a lot more fun for me than auto attacking and pressing nukes on cooldown. Could have given it the vindicator dodge mechanic too - leap in the air and launch missles/slam the ground and knockback or stun/land and heal and grant boons or something. 

As it is it's just a far more hard-hitting pet but I guess that's the only niche engineer hasn't been able to fill yet. Apart from casting/spells which will probably be the next elite spec. Watch them get a meteor shower x 5 on auto that dazes and uses magic-tech arrows with longbow or some kitten. 

This sounds an awful lot like holosmith, don't you think?

Photon forge is also a mode you enter with a toolbelt skill that replaces your weapon skills. It doesn't directly protect the health like a shroud does, but can get traited to do something similar (physical damage reduction while in photon forge, barrier generation with photon forge 3).

It even has a dodge trait that gives an attack on dodge, even if it's nerfed pretty hard now and basically never used anymore. It's the vent attack that creates a fire explosion around the holosmith while depleting heat. Which, btw, will also heal you like you suggested.

I am also not really happy with what we ended up with, especially since I think mechanist will keep being a balancing problem in the future. The pet needs to be really strong, since all the power budget of the mechanist is located in it. But people dislike that it is so strong, since it means that alot of strength from mechanist is automated and it also takes away the class feature from ranger by being just way better at their thing.

But nothing we can do about it anymore. People were requesting the "robot buddy elite spec" quite loudly all this time, despites my efforts to fight it. Now we are stuck with it. Still hoping that we can get a condition damage and boon removal elite spec in the future which focuses on alchemy with acids and poison gases....

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

This sounds an awful lot like holosmith, don't you think?

Photon forge is also a mode you enter with a toolbelt skill that replaces your weapon skills. It doesn't directly protect the health like a shroud does, but can get traited to do something similar (physical damage reduction while in photon forge, barrier generation with photon forge 3).

It even has a dodge trait that gives an attack on dodge, even if it's nerfed pretty hard now and basically never used anymore. It's the vent attack that creates a fire explosion around the holosmith while depleting heat. Which, btw, will also heal you like you suggested.

I am also not really happy with what we ended up with, especially since I think mechanist will keep being a balancing problem in the future. The pet needs to be really strong, since all the power budget of the mechanist is located in it. But people dislike that it is so strong, since it means that alot of strength from mechanist is automated and it also takes away the class feature from ranger by being just way better at their thing.

But nothing we can do about it anymore. People were requesting the "robot buddy elite spec" quite loudly all this time, despites my efforts to fight it. Now we are stuck with it. Still hoping that we can get a condition damage and boon removal elite spec in the future which focuses on alchemy with acids and poison gases....

Were people requesting a buddy spec specifically or just a mech spec?

And yes, it does sound like holosmith but does that really matter given how many utilities/traits/weapon skills are reused among professions? 

Not that it matters now but I think they could have made it feel different than holo. Holosmith was overloaded to begin with.

6 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

Were people requesting a buddy spec specifically or just a mech spec?

One of the very most popular suggestions for the next engineer spec was for a robot buddy which is customizable. So a pet that can get adjusted to either be built for condi, power or support. And that is exactly what we got.

There were also suggestions for an exo-suit spec. But "golemancer" with a pet was one of the most vocal suggestions.

7 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

And yes, it does sound like holosmith but does that really matter given how many utilities/traits/weapon skills are reused among professions? 

There is a difference between reusing skills across different classes and reusing a thing for the same class.

Mechanist, for example, took the pet mechanic from ranger (and improved it). But this is actual novelty, because engineer didn't have access to this pet mechanic before.

Meanwhile if you do this shroud system for the spec, it's just rehashing the holosmith. Which already is an engineer spec. There is no justification for this spec to exist then, engineer already has that mechanic, why repeat the same thing? It would most likely also kill hype, since engineer players wouldn't feel like they got something new added, but just get sold a reskin of the holosmith.

10 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

Not that it matters now but I think they could have made it feel different than holo. Holosmith was overloaded to begin with.

Sure, they could have made it feel different. But why go for something you already have in a slightly different form over something that is truly new for the class?

On 8/20/2022 at 9:20 AM, WillPaharu.4837 said:

wait till you find out, that rangers can indeed controll their pet in downstate.... a Soubleast can even switch pets, which is something he can not do outside of downstate...

3 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Rangers are allowed to use their profession mechanic in downstate, I see no reason why other professions shouldn't either.

Imagine going into dragon trigger while in downstate and shadowstepping away with flicker step, followed by dashing away while stunning enemies with dragon slash - boost, lmao.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Imagine going into dragon trigger while in downstate and shadowstepping away with flicker step, followed by dashing away while stunning enemies with dragon slash - boost, lmao.

Can't. That replaces the weapon bar. But what would be funny is someone thinking that they are safe only to eat an Arc Divider.

The point is that the Profession Mechanic hotkeys should be disabled in downstate for everyone or enabled for everyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Can't. That replaces the weapon bar. But what would be funny is someone thinking that they are safe only to eat an Arc Divider.

The point is that the Profession Mechanic hotkeys should be disabled in downstate for everyone or enabled for everyone.

At the very least, Anet has to clarify if this is intended design and if it actually is, then the kitten UI has to show as much.

Usable skills are usually always shown in the UI. Such a mechanic like being able to use pet commands in downstate should not be something new players have to find out by pressing the buttons by mistake. The game has to communicate the behaviour if it's supposed to stay.

But all this already got discussed in the thread I made a while back about this weird case for the ranger. 😛

Still personally agree that this entire thing should be removed for rangers and mechanists alike, tho. It makes no sense that they get to use these skills in downstate.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Thanks 1