New Account or not?

I have a GW2 Account since release, I have purchased a lot of stuff, Expansion packs, bag slots, bank slots etc etc...

I have come and gone over the years, I currently have 3 level 80's but one thing is I have a ton of stuff just given to me by the game, and I have no idea what it is for.

I had an Idea of Starting a new account with Steam tomorrow, and starting a fresh account and relearning the game that way, as I do not want to delete the characters I have

Does this sound like a smart idea or just stupid and I should continue playing my original account?   There is mush I still need to do

1. Map 100% at least with 1 character

2. Mastery Levels, I haven't done any of these

3. Story mode, I haven't done this

4. and whatever else there is to do...

Normally when I come back to a game, I just make a new character and play then learn and go back to main characters, but with GW2 I do not want to delete characters as I have real money into them.

I am also having an OCD issue right now

Just curious of your thoughts... thanks 

3 hours ago, Hordolur.4239 said:

I have a GW2 Account since release, I have purchased a lot of stuff, Expansion packs, bag slots, bank slots etc etc...

I have come and gone over the years, I currently have 3 level 80's but one thing is I have a ton of stuff just given to me by the game, and I have no idea what it is for.

I had an Idea of Starting a new account with Steam tomorrow, and starting a fresh account and relearning the game that way, as I do not want to delete the characters I have

Does this sound like a smart idea or just stupid and I should continue playing my original account?   There is mush I still need to do

1. Map 100% at least with 1 character

2. Mastery Levels, I haven't done any of these

3. Story mode, I haven't done this

4. and whatever else there is to do...

Normally when I come back to a game, I just make a new character and play then learn and go back to main characters, but with GW2 I do not want to delete characters as I have real money into them.

I am also having an OCD issue right now

Just curious of your thoughts... thanks 

I have two account, one that is 7 years old and one that is around to be soon 1 year old. Yes, you will have to purchase some things from Gem Store to get to same level in how you played on that older account as it can get frustrating to lack Permanent Gathering tools or Salvage kits, but you will manage and also by know you should have better knowledge of what is useful to get from Salvage kits etc.

With two account I am able to move unbound things like mats to my other account (and both have 4 x 250 stack = 1000 items in each slot for Material Storage), so you can move around stuff before deciding if you want to sell it. Don't forget that also can move Gold between account which might help when you save up Gold to your Mounts or anything else and you can Gift items from Gem Store to the account that haven't that items, but make sure that you have that small Gift icon in the corner of that item before you put Gems on that account.

Shared Inv Slots, Bank slots some other things are account bound, so you can't move them (as a Gift) if you happen to have more Gem on that account. You have to plan a bit on which account you want to add Gems to be able to buy things.

You will also have to figure out how to get Living World seasons as you new account wont have most of the basic LW and that have an impact on your Core Tyria Mastery points as there is a lot of Core Tyria MP that you can get if you have LW. Look up GW2 wiki to see which one that is tied to LW and which you can get from core game content (and HoT).

As there is no difference between account bought through Steam or directly from ANet/GW2 web shop, both of your account should be able to exist the same game world.

Tools that I would recommend when having two accounts:

https://gw2efficiency.com/

As you can add two or more accounts API keys and that way fast switching between account (there is a pull down under Log in on web site for changing between accounts). This make it possible to keep track on every account.

Blish HUD which is a wrapper for different modules. Look at link down here which explains how this work. In short it make it easier to update each "add on" or modules and disable those that you don't want to run all the time or enable them from the same interface and it also make adjust settings from one place easy.

Blish HUD modules that are useful for two accounts is "Character" and "Gathering Tools".

Character let you see all your characters and fast change between character on that active account that are logged into. Just set log out keybinding only in this modules and skip log out key in Gathering Tools as Gathering Tools are more useful to just show all equipped Gathering Tools for all character on that account you are playing on. You don't really need a warning every time you log out (which is why that keybind option exist) to make sure that you have equipped your permanent tools on the right character (or moved those to Shared Inv).

There are too many modules to describe here so I would ask to look at Blish HUD linked down here. As for map markers like TACO you will find those also inside Blish HUD and many more map marker packages.

https://blishhud.com/

GW2 Launcher is another tool that are helpful to keep track of two or more account and updates. With GW2 Launcher can store log in information for each account and fast log in and out.

https://github.com/Healix/Gw2Launcher

Healix is also an active forum member here on GW2 forum, so you reach that developer of GW2 Launcher in case you have some issues or use github site to follow what is up with that app in case there is issues due to updates in GW2 client etc.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Confused 1

Your issue isn't the stuff thrown at you. Your issue isn't event spending the money it seems.

Your issue is: you don't seem to stick with the game for a significant amount of time.

A fresh steam account might or might not change that. Think on that first.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Your issue isn't the stuff thrown at you. Your issue isn't event spending the money it seems.

Your issue is: you don't seem to stick with the game for a significant amount of time.

A fresh steam account might or might not change that. Think on that first.

We don't even know if @Hordolur.4239have all expansion at this stage. Re-reading @Hordolur.4239and checking forum post from this person it seem that he/she have a hard time find out where to start playing this game and continue until some goal have been finished.

100 % map completion isn't very hard, just time consuming, but would also make it easier to get around in maps. Doing some Story will also make things easier as it also unlocks some Mastery Points from achievements and so on.

I would recommend to look up guides when you are stuck as I have use YouTuber like Ayin Maiden for how to do story mode achievements, to get to Jumping Puzzles and so on. There are other good YT that are helpful if you don't like Ayin Maidens way of showing how to do things.

Maybe concentrate on that account you already have @Hordolur.4239 and when you have gained more experience from playing on that account then decide if you want to have a second account on Steam? There is no rush to get a Steam account just because there is a lot of hype around it in this moment.

• Like 1

You could always make a free account and see how you get on. That way if you change your mind and want to go back to your existing account, or you lose interest in the game again you haven't wasted any money. Free accounts do have some limitations but the only ones which are likely to be a problem in this situation are not being able to use map chat and being restricted to 2 character slots. You can play the whole base game on a free account, which should be more than enough to decide if you want to stick with the game.

Alternatively we could help you sort out the stuff you don't know what to do with, if you can tell us what it is or post screenshots of your bank or something we can tell you what it's for and what you can do with it.

There's also the option of buying a new character slot as a kind of 'middle ground' - that would allow you to start over from level 1 to re-learn the game without starting a whole new account. It's not free, but it is cheaper than a 2nd copy of the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hordolur.4239 said:

If you're willing to plink down all that money on a new account, why not just…

Buy an extra character slot.

You can have 95% of the "new player" experience just playing a new character from scratch, and once you've refamiliarized yourself with the game you'll be able to go back to your other characters and enjoy all the stuff you've built up previously.

• Like 3

I have two accounts so I can play on EU and NA servers.
I really disliked getting started with the second account due to the amount of account wide unlocks I got used to. To name a few:

Autoloot
mounts and gliding

The list is longer, but it gives you an idea of what you'll be missing. If you want to re-learn he game, start a new character (and if needed get a new  slot)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hordolur.4239 said:

Another reason I was thinking about doing this is that I feel that I have "cheated" in away, some characters are max level cause of boost, or purchased gold to max out gear and crafting

While there is a lot of things that you learn about how to play GW2 and how to play each class as you level it up, once you've gotten your first to level 80, there isn't much to learn leveling another one manually (without boosts or tomes of knowledge) in my opinion.  Also, the elite specs that become available at level 80 can change how a class plays quite a bit.

In some ways, GW2 really starts AFTER level 80.

You said you have 3 level 80's and you've never done the story.  My advice, pick one of your 80's, or whatever level character is in your 4th or 5th character slot, and play the story through on it.  The story instances are really easy and will get you back into how to play GW2 pretty quick.  Also, the game has a "continuous" story from level 1 all the way through to the last map added in End Of Dragons, so, while it isn't necessary to do the story it can give you a roadmap to follow.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, Hordolur.4239 said:

ok, so what I'll do to start over and save money I'll delete all characters and items and start fresh

Don't delete them (would be unfortunatefpr the birthday gifts etc). Just make a fresh character, actively decide not to support it with your other characters and just play away.

Then once you've completed a satisfactory amount of content, you can always play the other characters too.

I get the feeling of having to "reset" the account, but given so much stays unlocked I think it's better to accept and work with this. Trust me, once you've completed and "finished" leveling, the story and gear on yourbnew character, you'll be glad to have the others for a change of pace.

• Thanks 1

I agree.

I completely understand that feeling and often want a totally fresh start with a game when I come back after a long break, but this is one of the ways MMOs are different. If you delete all your characters and your items you may well lose things you can't ever get back. I've had to make myself get used to not doing that so I don't delete things I'll regret losing later.

Although I've also had a totally fresh start twice because I've made 2 free accounts (one of which later got upgraded to the heroic edition). I did it to test out how things worked on a free account but it was also kind of cool starting from nothing again. Although for me the novelty wore off very quickly, after the first character got to about level 15 or 20 it was just like playing a new character on my main account, but without as many skins, mini pets etc. to choose from.