What to buy on Steam? New players will be confused

Hi, my colleague from work want to start to play GW2 on Steam.

He did not know what he need to buy. And I was not sure too.

Afaik, if you buy EoD you should get all other expansions included? 

I do not know, and neither the new players will.

Please improve this asap.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7

Not sure what's confusing?  https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-tenth-anniversary-and-steam-launch-on-august-23/

Steam players will be able to experience the core Guild Wars 2 game for free (with the same restrictions applied to free accounts created on GuildWars2.com), with options to upgrade to Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire™, and Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons™ from day one. We’ve heard your feedback that Living World unlocks should be better communicated to prospective players, so we’ll also be creating a Complete Collection bundle that includes Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, and Living World Seasons 2 through 5 (Living World Season 1 is free for everyone).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Have you looked at the Steam? HoT and PoF are listed as DLC's. 
They are stand alone games. DLC's should be Living World. 

Also, this is overcomplicated for no reason. 

Anet should offer free game + EoD that has previous expansions bundled. 

Then they can offer Living World as an actual DLC's. 

This way it is sooo overcomplicated. 

So new player need to understand that he can play the free game, then upgrade to HoT but also need to buy HoT dlc, then upgrade to PoF and buy PoF dlc's, then upgrade to EoD and buy future EoD dlc's. This is just too crazy.  

People just want to install and play, that is why they use Steam at the first place. This is crazy

Edited by Proklet.2857
  • Like 1
  • Confused 15

As the article Karmin quoted says there's 3 options:

1) Download the base game for free.
2) Buy HoT & PoF or EoD.
3) Buy the complete package (not listed yet, presumably will be when the game actually goes on sale later today) with everything, including all the LW seasons for 1 price.

I think the purchase options will be clearer once the game is actually released on Steam, because right now all you can see is a summary of the content, not the actual purchase options (or maybe that's because I'm not signed in?).

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

DLC covers it in Steam-speak.  It's not stand alone, you need the core game to play the expansions.  Living world is also DLC.  It's pretty standard for Steam.

This.

The game is marketed as free to play. 

The additional content is sold seperately with descriptions as to what is included.

DLC and expansion content is not something new to steam. In fact many games offer this type of content in the exact same way on steam. 

Not sure why suddenly steam players should be challenged by the concept.

This topic just reads as: give more stuff for free.

As to Arenanet should offer EoD and all other content for free: they do, it's called the complete package. You don't get that at 30 dollars/euro though. Just imagine that EoD costs the price of a full price game and all the other stuff is "free". Done.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Thanks 2

We could put the word :    " (latest)  " , right next to "Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons™ Expansion"  in steam , so we avoid the scenarios of people whining about the 200gems per episode in HoT and PoF .

But idk ... it  will mean less money for the company

Edited by Ryuk.6840
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Not sure what's confusing?  https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-tenth-anniversary-and-steam-launch-on-august-23/

Steam players will be able to experience the core Guild Wars 2 game for free (with the same restrictions applied to free accounts created on GuildWars2.com), with options to upgrade to Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire™, and Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons™ from day one. We’ve heard your feedback that Living World unlocks should be better communicated to prospective players, so we’ll also be creating a Complete Collection bundle that includes Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, and Living World Seasons 2 through 5 (Living World Season 1 is free for everyone).

+1 Really needs posting again. 

It's really not difficult or confusing whatsoever. 

Actual reason as per normal these days: "Can't be bothered to go to GW2 home page to read anything, will whine on forum instead" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This is how I envisioned it: 

Example 

On top you would have All expansions bundled together (as 1 purchase) and on bottom you would have living worlds. 

The point is to make it easy for new players from Steam to understand what is expected from them to do.

By the time new expansion comes out, everyone who wanted to try gw2 on steam already did that, and will know what to do when expansion is released. 

I am showing example because of trash talk by some people here.

Edited by Proklet.2857
  • Confused 6

9 minutes ago, Proklet.2857 said:

This is how I envisioned it: 

Example 

On top you would have All expansions bundled together (as 1 purchase) and on bottom you would have living worlds. 

The point is to make it easy for new players from Steam to understand what is expected from them to do.

By the time new expansion comes out, everyone who wanted to try gw2 on steam already did that, and will know what to do when expansion is released. 

I am showing example because of trash talk by some people here.

Except it's not the same case, your exemple is a paid game with dlc. 

Gw2 is a free game with dlc, expansion and living world are both dlc, they are fonctionnally nearly identical.

So the listing of  Steam is correct and standard practice

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Except it's not the same case, your exemple is a paid game with dlc. 

Gw2 is a free game with dlc, expansion and living world are both dlc, they are fonctionnally nearly identical.

So the listing of  Steam is correct and standard practice

free game would also exist. 
I am talking about consolidation of the paid content

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Once it's actually being sold on Steam it will look a lot like that.

Or like this example, another free to play game with paid expansions:
https://imgur.com/OcsZigG
(You can click on all of those to find out more about what's included in each pack.)

The reason you can't find a simple way to purchase it yet is because the game isn't out on Steam yet and won't be for another few hours. Trying to buy something which isn't for sale is never simple, but once the game is actually being sold Steam will show the purchase options in the same format they use for everything else.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Once it's actually being sold on Steam it will look a lot like that.

Or like this example, another free to play game with paid expansions:
https://imgur.com/OcsZigG
(You can click on all of those to find out more about what's included in each pack.)

The reason you can't find a simple way to purchase it yet is because the game isn't out on Steam yet and won't be for another few hours. Trying to buy something which isn't for sale is never simple, but once the game is actually being sold Steam will show the purchase options in the same format they use for everything else.

Ok that looks better. Thank God.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Proklet.2857 said:

Hi, my colleague from work want to start to play GW2 on Steam.

He did not know what he need to buy. And I was not sure too.

Afaik, if you buy EoD you should get all other expansions included? 

I do not know, and neither the new players will.

Please improve this asap.

You don't need to buy anything to start. The best option for your friend is to play for free until he understands better what is going on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

What $20 difference? I'm saying there isn't a Collection option at all for Steam. Anet decided to put GW2 on steam knowing they take a cut. Their decision, which will definitely be a profitable one with more players coming into the game. So why not offer the same packages for the expansions? So what if you make 30% less? Better to make 30% less than make 0 by not even offering Collection, which is basically all the expansions for one price.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Maegi.2396 said:

What $20 difference? I'm saying there isn't a Collection option at all for Steam. Anet decided to put GW2 on steam knowing they take a cut. Their decision, which will definitely be a profitable one with more players coming into the game. So why not offer the same packages for the expansions? So what if you make 30% less? Better to make 30% less than make 0 by not even offering Collection, which is basically all the expansions for one price.

From what I can tell, cmiiw:

Gw2 store:

Hotpof alone: 30, includes a shared inventory, 1 max lvl

EoD alone: 30, includes a shared inventory, 1 max lvl

Collection hotpofeod: 50, includes a shared inventory, 1 max lvl .

Steam store:

Hotpof alone: 30, includes a shared inventory, max lvl

EoD alone: 30, includes a shared inventory, max lvl

(And some other package)

So the pro of a collection option is that you pay 10 less, and get 1 less additional shared inventory and lvl boost, when compared to buying them separately.

Its 1 less option for you, but if you personally value a shared inventory slot and lvl boost at 10, you don't actually lose out much. (It's a bit more complicated than that, but you probably don't want any more details)

2 hours ago, Maegi.2396 said:

Steam:  $30 for PoF + HoT and $30 for EoD

Arenanet:  (my bad) $50 for PoF + HoT and EoD

Thus, $10 difference which is better.  And, as pointed out buying separately includes an extra L80 Boost and Shared Inventory Slot.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234