GW2 steam players currently online numbers !

1 minute ago, patton the great.7126 said:

It would be disingenuous to leave a positive review of GW2 on the steam side. The effort just isn't there anymore. The competitive game modes are in shambles, the raid scene is darn near impossible to break into for non raiders and is clearly on deaths door. The story is meh now. I mean for goodness sake their idea of new content is re-releasing season 1 of living world. The negative reviews are totally justified do not be too quick to assume trolls are the only reason it's tanking. I love gw2, but I'd be a liar to myself if I ignored the state of the game! No I haven't left a negative review, let the new folks find the disappointment out on their own. I mean skiffs??? That was the expacks cool new feature.....and fishing......bleh

Are free players able to leave Steam reviews? I’m considering making a free account just to leave a thorough, balanced review.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I always find it odd when people assume doing something like posting on the forum or watching twitch is time not spent in game.

I can do these things when I wouldn’t otherwise be able to play. For example, yesterday I had twitch on while I worked instead of my usual NPR.

Then, last night, I got to finish out my game session doing a meta alongside a twitch streamer and fans while his Twitch stream was up on my second monitor. It was kinda like a big party.

I dont want to go too off topic here so let me just say: Do whatever you want its absolutely your choice regardless what i think about it. Sometimes i watch netflix while im playing. I guess its similar the only difference is that i cant link my netflix account with gw2 account and get free stuff from watching netlix for 12 hours. 😑

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Shao.7236 said:

Pretty sure it has to do with the fact that naysayers are everywhere on the forums about the price and Anet is not promoting the release for veterans even though you can play the game with an existing account, only takes one tweak in the start up parameters.

People are paying for 10 years of content that's still maintained and relevant enough but that's somehow filled with complains for what is in principle a reasonable price.

Totality Living World is 50$ in gems and so buying it directly through Steam is like buying it in game for any players whatever the platform they use.

Prices say 38.99$CAD for both HoT and PoF which works while EoD by itself is 38.99$CAD also which is I think the standard price as well, yet we have constant complains because that's the right price in USD when converting.

That seems weird to me because it's not like that's the only option. (Also we've heard for years that some new players were annoyed there isn't a complete edition with all the expansions and LW included.)

If I was a potential new player considering buying GW2 today and not sure I want to spent almost £90 on it (which is a lot for one game, even knowing it's a very big game) what I'd do is start with the free version then once I'd decided it was worth it either buy the complete collection or just buy HoT & PoF to remove the free account restrictions and get the other parts individually as I got to them.

Of course that would cost me more in the long run, but it spaces the cost out, and it means if I never get to the point of playing the expansions I've not wasted money on something I don't use. I've done it with other games for exactly that reason, sometimes I'm not sure I'll need the DLC, sometimes I'm not even sure what the DLC includes until I've played the name and know the terminology.

If you know right away you want everything in the game then the complete collection is a good choice, but it's not like anyone has to buy it if they don't want to.

• Like 3

I don't really understand all the Steam hype, either. So what if the game is on it? Are you making money from it or is it ArenaNet that reaps all the benefits? 

And frankly, I feel like the new players, the handful that we just got, are pretty annoyed by the overly caffeinated "veterans" who sit on their skyscale watching their every move like they're zoo animals. Or those shiny lords with their 37 infusions standing around/sitting on their vermillion thrones in Queensdale doing absolutely nothing.

It's ridiculous. I've never seen this type of behaviors in any other game. If anything it might end up being YOU, the old timers, who eventually drive away the new guys. 

Also, to echo someone's comment, this isn't your "own" game. You don't own a particle of it, including the items you buy from the gem store. So quit acting like you're NCSOFT stockholder or something. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

20 minutes ago, Demon Pie.2634 said:

I don't really understand all the Steam hype, either. So what if the game is on it? Are you making money from it or is it ArenaNet that reaps all the benefits? 

And frankly, I feel like the new players, the handful that we just got, are pretty annoyed by the overly caffeinated "veterans" who sit on their skyscale watching their every move like they're zoo animals. Or those shiny lords with their 37 infusions standing around/sitting on their vermillion thrones in Queensdale doing absolutely nothing.

It's ridiculous. I've never seen this type of behaviors in any other game. If anything it might end up being YOU, the old timers, who eventually drive away the new guys. 

Also, to echo someone's comment, this isn't your "own" game. You don't own a particle of it, including the items you buy from the gem store. So quit acting like you're NCSOFT stockholder or something. 

This. With all the veterans camping the starter zones with their bajillion shiny particles, scaling the events up for newbies if not instakilling the enemies on said events, then they they'll probably leave. Hell, if I had the same experience when I started playing, I would.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I mean the complete lack of incentive for anyone to get started on Steam is probably a big part of it, being met with a $100 price tag is another part of it, no sales, discounts or deals of any kind aside from an additional $20-25 package offered on the gem store as introduction to the game.

People finding it difficult to justify buying the expansions, wondering what LW is and why they have to pay for it when others got it for free, and then they're being told to play the base game and see if they like it, something they could have done for like 8 years and an experience that has not evolved or changed in 10 years either.

So Steam just offers a 10 year old trial to the game.. the fact there is no discount of any kind for a hyped up steam release and 10 year anniversary is very questionable,  especially when ESO is offering large discounts, WoW is offering free expansion + character boost and FF14 just offers a way more appealing deal, either their free trial that includes new content by adding the previous expansions unlike GW2 or the price of the game that includes all the previous expansions of only $40.

Objectively I would argue that GW2 by far offers the least appealing package for a new player, and the fact that it's on their 10 year anniversary compared to a pretty regular week day for other games isn't helping.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, patton the great.7126 said:

It would be disingenuous to leave a positive review of GW2 on the steam side. The effort just isn't there anymore. The competitive game modes are in shambles, the raid scene is darn near impossible to break into for non raiders and is clearly on deaths door. The story is meh now. I mean for goodness sake their idea of new content is re-releasing season 1 of living world. The negative reviews are totally justified do not be too quick to assume trolls are the only reason it's tanking. I love gw2, but I'd be a liar to myself if I ignored the state of the game! No I haven't left a negative review, let the new folks find the disappointment out on their own. I mean skiffs??? That was the expacks cool new feature.....and fishing......bleh

Pretty much exactly, EoD was a massive let down, our tenth birthday present is the worst present we've ever gotten on veteran accounts, wvw has only been made worse over the past year, pvp has 0% effort put into it as patches say "pve only" on them as we are stuck with cc abilities that do 0 damage which destroyed entire weapons. 300 second internal cd abilities that was supposed to be fixed and we were told they would be fixed 2 years ago. 

The only thing GW2 has going for it is its older content. It has not made something new that was good for awhile. Yet still, apparently, it can do no wrong and is a 10/10 game from 0.1 hour reviewers. The Toxic positivity on Steam is crazy. Do people realise that if something is "perfect" it means it can't be improved? Has that word lost all meaning? I love GW2, but it really does need a lot of QOL stuff that other games have and a much better marketing team, hopefully a better balancing team is on the way. I've seen better advertising for 5 dollar indie games then ever for gw2. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Are free players able to leave Steam reviews? I’m considering making a free account just to leave a thorough, balanced review.

Yes, you are also supposed to mark your review as "Got game for free" but people have not been doing that. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

i like the fact that people are saying they waited for this moment to 'sabotage' the game by giving negative reviews on steam OMEGALUL .....

so here's a few things ... gw2 has been around for 10 YEARS WITHOUT STEAM . u really think you be able to sabotage the game with negative reviews on steam ? sry but that is delusional and kinda funny but mostly delusional, the game been alive for 10 years, and heck who knows it might be around for 10 more, that is no matter the outcome of the reviews on steam lol.

Also atleast if u are to 'sabotage' with a negative review, be realistic, most ppl that are posting those reviews are obviously trolls trying to as some calls it ''sabotage'' the game lol, is so ironic to watch those negative reviews stating they playing xx amount of 1000's of hours and yet they dont like the game, isnt that the biggeest irony of them all ? no one said to them to continue play, yet they did, so do they really hate the game ? i highly doubt, is just again salt and trolls .

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, DaFishBob.6518 said:

First of all it's not MY game nor is it YOUR game, it's ANET's game and I was making an informative post, there's no reason to make a Steam account and I pointed out that the main site is available for a better experience. I'm not going to make excuses for decisions ANET made on their own though and calling pointing these decisions out sabotage is pretty kitten snide of you.

You're pointing them out based on subjectivity only.  

Who cares if someone makes another account on Steam? How does that affect literally anything negatively? 

Review bombing based on 'there's no point to make another account on Steam' absolutely can affect the game negatively though.  It's objectively sabotage, so yes, I'm confused as to why you or anyone else would do this.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Demon Pie.2634 said:

To be fair, if you take issue with seeing infusions and people sitting around on thrones doing nothing, you’re not going to enjoy this game much anyway. 

Edited by Monarc.9726
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

Isn't that true for any game that launched w/out a Steam requirement?  Did you put negative reviews on them too, or just here?

I never noticed those other games would actually lock you out of certain content simply because it's a Steam account so no I did not.

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

You're pointing them out based on subjectivity only.  

Who cares if someone makes another account on Steam? How does that affect literally anything negatively? 

Review bombing based on 'there's no point to make another account on Steam' absolutely can affect the game negatively though.  It's objectively sabotage, so yes, I'm confused as to why you or anyone else would do this.  

All right, tell me what is subjective about my review:

As of this time I do not recommend new players purchasing any of the DLCs for this game. The main website will offer better deals for them and you will not be locked out of linking your account to Guild Wars in this way, should you decide to as time goes on. The free to play version is also available on the main website so if you don't want to download 60 GB of data twice after deciding to make a non-Steam account, feel free to go there instead.

You thinking that I'm trying to make this game look like Madden 23 or something?

Edited by DaFishBob.6518
  • Like 1

The only problem at the moment is that there are too many players on the best part of the game - the Open World - destroying every event in milliseconds.

As if newer players (or most under 10k hour veterans) care about PvP or raids... or forums ..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The game takes a lot to download, i bet there are more incoming!

That being said, i think arenanet should promote on Steam frontpage for a few days + promote the last trailer they did, that they didnt even did link it in their twitter account... (also ads marketing)

37 minutes ago, DaFishBob.6518 said:

All right, tell me what is subjective about my review:

As of this time I do not recommend new players purchasing any of the DLCs for this game. The main website will offer better deals for them and you will not be locked out of linking your account to Guild Wars in this way, should you decide to as time goes on. The free to play version is also available on the main website so if you don't want to download 60 GB of data twice after deciding to make a non-Steam account, feel free to go there instead.

You thinking that I'm trying to make this game look like Madden 23 or something?

We don't ever know if you can link your Steam acct. to your GW2 one, so part of your review is speculation. 

Basically, Steam is for the people that don't like downloading third-party launchers--just like I personally don't want to download Origin or any of the other launchers, so use Steam for anything that isn't GW2.

Obviously, I DL GW2 with its third-party launcher because it wasn't on Steam in 2012....

• Confused 1

Jeez. So much negativity along the lines of "I've played 5000 hours and the game no longer offers me anything exciting, so it sucks. No one else should give it a try, new players shouldn't play it."

Just think about that. You presumably enjoyed at least the first 1000-2000 hours, you would hope that you enjoyed most of those 5000 otherwise why did you play?

So why shouldn't other new players start the game and have the same enjoyment you did originally? Not everything is about you. Maybe after 5000 hours it's time you did something else, perhaps try another game if you are burnt out on this one? That you've had too much GW2 or have nothing left to do in GW2 doesn't mean GW2 sucks.

I say this as a relatively new player who's probably only played for 100-200 hours over the last 6 months and is still really loving the game!

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

For all the veteran players looking to add there guild wars 2 to steam if you use -provider Portal in the launch options it will use the login portal we all know and love and you will still have access to the steam overlay, playtime tracker, community hub, controller layouts. It won't fully link your account to use steam wallet for gemstore purchases but it's pretty darn close if you want to use steam and have been playing for 10 years already. 

Edited by Darkdarth.2145
Typo
  • Like 4