GW2 steam players currently online numbers !

2 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

We don't ever know if you can link your Steam acct. to your GW2 one, so part of your review is speculation. 

Basically, Steam is for the people that don't like downloading third-party launchers--just like I personally don't want to download Origin or any of the other launchers, so use Steam for anything that isn't GW2.

Obviously, I DL GW2 with its third-party launcher because it wasn't on Steam in 2012....

Seriously? That confused reaction I left was a real confused reaction by the way, perhaps you meant something that I missed, not like the constantly abused reactions so many are leaving on my comments here.

And if you wanted to use Steam in order to not have to use a third-party launcher, I hope you understand that you'll still need to use a launcher identical to the third-party launcher when you downloaded GW2 from this site.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Jeez. So much negativity along the lines of "I've played 5000 hours and the game no longer offers me anything exciting, so it sucks. No one else should give it a try, new players shouldn't play it."

Just think about that. You presumably enjoyed at least the first 1000-2000 hours, you would hope that you enjoyed most of those 5000 otherwise why did you play?

So why shouldn't other new players start the game and have the same enjoyment you did originally? Not everything is about you. Maybe after 5000 hours it's time you did something else, perhaps try another game if you are burnt out on this one? That you've had too much GW2 or have nothing left to do in GW2 doesn't mean GW2 sucks.

I say this as a relatively new player who's probably only played for 100-200 hours over the last 6 months and is still really loving the game!

This isn't the first time I've seen this sentiment and I'm not sure I disagree entirely, but I do think anyone who tries to review an MMO in a serious way is caught in a catch-22 that isn't really fair to them.

Because as sensible as it sounds to say "lol, 10k hours and you don't recommend it" kind of thing, what if someone said "10 hours in and don't recommend it." They would (and undoubtedly do in some cases of people who review MMOs) get people telling them "it's still early, if you get further in, it gets better."

So it's like... if you don't take long enough, the review isn't fair because you didn't see enough of the game. And if you take too long, now your review can't be taken seriously because of the implicit assumption you must have enjoyed it a lot to get that far. You get dismissed either way. It's kind of bizarre when you think about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

This isn't the first time I've seen this sentiment and I'm not sure I disagree entirely, but I do think anyone who tries to review an MMO in a serious way is caught in a catch-22 that isn't really fair to them.

Because as sensible as it sounds to say "lol, 10k hours and you don't recommend it" kind of thing, what if someone said "10 hours in and don't recommend it." They would (and undoubtedly do in some cases of people who review MMOs) get people telling them "it's still early, if you get further in, it gets better."

So it's like... if you don't take long enough, the review isn't fair because you didn't see enough of the game. And if you take too long, now your review can't be taken seriously because of the implicit assumption you must have enjoyed it a lot to get that far. You get dismissed either way. It's kind of bizarre when you think about it.

If an experienced 5000 hour player seriously feels the game has changed dramatically recently and they honestly think it's unlikely a new player would enjoy the first 100-500 hours, then sure, a negative review is reasonable.

From what I've seen that isn't the case. I am a relatively new player (top character level 60) and the game is fun. Most of these experienced players seem to be complaining about problems with advanced content. I even heard someone complaining about ArenaNet spending time redoing Living Season 1 - for a new players it's awesome that they are putting back Living Season 1!

Most of the complaints seem to be coming from their own very blinkered viewpoint rather than actually trying to understand what matters to most new players.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, DaFishBob.6518 said:

Seriously? That confused reaction I left was a real confused reaction by the way, perhaps you meant something that I missed, not like the constantly abused reactions so many are leaving on my comments here.

And if you wanted to use Steam in order to not have to use a third-party launcher, I hope you understand that you'll still need to use a launcher identical to the third-party launcher when you downloaded GW2 from this site.

It's this wording that is super confusing:

and you will not be locked out of linking your account to Guild Wars in this way

I'm not even sure what it means because you can't link Steam and 'main site' accounts (and we don't know if you ever will be able to).  

This is where the confusion is coming from.

Also I agree with this:

8 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Most of the complaints seem to be coming from their own very blinkered viewpoint rather than actually trying to understand what matters to most new players.

It is true, the 'experienced' players attempting to be helpful is counter-productive because most of us are seriously jaded at this point.  It's one thing to offer advice in game but marching out into Steam review sections and such is just going way beyond what is needed IMO.  

Let people discover the game like we did....

13 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

It's a little sad only 4500 players added thanks to steam.

I thought it would be bigger.

5200 concurrent players. On a Wednesday. That means more than 5200 downloaded, and we haven’t hit first weekend yet.

Not that I’m saying there will be a flood, just looking at that number in context.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Well, there are a few numbers between 10 and 10k. 😄

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

It is simple - the game needs to be good from the start.

If the game is better at the 20 hour mark than at the beggining then you need to remove the first 20 hours of the game and start at the point the game is good.

Now MMORPGs and looter games do change - a new GW2 player will be exploring the world, levelling the character and learning how use the skills and traits. A 5K hour player is farming something.

Anyone that plays a game for 10K hours without enjoying it has a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

It's this wording that is super confusing:

and you will not be locked out of linking your account to Guild Wars in this way

I'm not even sure what it means because you can't link Steam and 'main site' accounts (and we don't know if you ever will be able to).  

This is where the confusion is coming from.

Can I link my Guild Wars 1 account to my Guild Wars 2 Steam account?

No, Guild Wars 1 accounts cannot be linked to a Guild Wars 2 account that was created via Steam. If your Guild Wars 2 account was created via Steam, you will not have the option to link a Guild Wars 1 account within the Account Management page of your ArenaNet account.

However, if you have a Guild Wars 1 account that was created via Steam, you will be able to link it to an existing [non-Steam] Guild Wars 2/ArenaNet account that was created via the Guild Wars 2 website. Steps on how to link to an ArenaNet account can be located here.

This is from the FAQ I linked.

There is no confusion at all, at this time you can not link a Guild Wars 1 account, where ever it originated from, with a Guild Wars 2 Steam account. And my review is entirely about as of this time. Nothing is subjective in my review.

19 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I've been playing Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous lately, I'm 119 hours in, and still don't know how I feel about it.  I don't hate it, but I can't say that I totally love it yet, it's a mixed bag right now.  However, I have played some games where a few hours was enough to know it isn't my thing.  The reviews that I hate are the "This game is great", or "this game sucks" with 5 minutes or less in it, or, on sites like Meta-Critic, where you don't even have to own the game to leave a review.

6 hours ago, Swoo.5079 said:

It is simple - the game needs to be good from the start.

If the game is better at the 20 hour mark than at the beggining then you need to remove the first 20 hours of the game and start at the point the game is good.

Now MMORPGs and looter games do change - a new GW2 player will be exploring the world, levelling the character and learning how use the skills and traits. A 5K hour player is farming something.

Anyone that plays a game for 10K hours without enjoying it has a problem.

Its not that entirely simple, I come from another game, Forge of Empires, that game is as old as GW2, people have been playing it for over 8 years ect. Yet a patch last year made them quit as the game was not fun anymore, they removed strats that have been around for years that people have been working on for years and perfecting because of future content, and instead of fixing the future content issues they just nerfed all ages at the same time, effectively removing an old questing strat that many used in the early game. (new worlds open up that are often quite a lot more fun then older worlds). 

So yes, you can have fun in a game for 5-10k hours, then an update hits that does remove all that fun and causes you to decide to quit and not recommend the game anymore, it can be like that at times. I mean, I was playing more before EoD hit, then almost quit entirely when June 28 "balance" patch hit for GW2. Joining the Warrior exodus that was leaving the game. Right before EoD, even with a character that started the day anyone on Earth could play gw2 before the official release, I'd have given the game a thumbs up and recommended it to everyone. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, DaFishBob.6518 said:

Can I link my Guild Wars 1 account to my Guild Wars 2 Steam account?

No, Guild Wars 1 accounts cannot be linked to a Guild Wars 2 account that was created via Steam. If your Guild Wars 2 account was created via Steam, you will not have the option to link a Guild Wars 1 account within the Account Management page of your ArenaNet account.

However, if you have a Guild Wars 1 account that was created via Steam, you will be able to link it to an existing [non-Steam] Guild Wars 2/ArenaNet account that was created via the Guild Wars 2 website. Steps on how to link to an ArenaNet account can be located here.

This is from the FAQ I linked.

There is no confusion at all, at this time you can not link a Guild Wars 1 account, where ever it originated from, with a Guild Wars 2 Steam account. And my review is entirely about as of this time. Nothing is subjective in my review.

Oh, you were talking about Guild Wars 1...I just assumed at this point 'Guild Wars' is synonymous with Guild Wars 2.

Which yes, confusion.  As that FAQ entry about GW1 is most definitely aimed at veterans who have a GW1 account, not all the incoming new players to Guild Wars 2 through steam.  Or who would be interested in linking their Guild Wars 2 Steam account with the site launcher.  

Anyway, this is what I mean by being 'too helpful', as even as someone who has been around since 2005 pre-searing days I was utterly confused by this review.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267

70% of something might possibly be worth more than 100% of nothing and a potential negative review or turned off player from not buying it or being charged more without sales unless they do a sale later though. unless the steam page is literally only to serve as a advert for the game that guides people to the anet launcher. 

46 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Oh, you were talking about Guild Wars 1...I just assumed at this point 'Guild Wars' is synonymous with Guild Wars 2.

Which yes, confusion.  As that FAQ entry about GW1 is most definitely aimed at veterans who have a GW1 account, not all the incoming new players to Guild Wars 2 through steam.  Or who would be interested in linking their Guild Wars 2 Steam account with the site launcher.  

Anyway, this is what I mean by being 'too helpful', as even as someone who has been around since 2005 pre-searing days I was utterly confused by this review.  

Okay great, now we've established that you got confused by what I wrote in my review. Fine, but does being confusing to you mean I'm posting something subjective? Or does it mean that I needed to write in a way that one Gotejjeken from the official Guild Wars 2 forums can understand what I'm communicating?

You want an example of subjective, how about this?

The suggestion in my review is what Anet is really after. They don't want to have a huge player-base on Steam because that's going to lead to having to share a more significant part of their potential earnings with Steam. Anet wants to have an established storefront on Steam so that those players might see the game and get interested after trying the free to play version, then when they decide they want to buy the rest of the game, they'll consider what I'm writing and instead buy it from the main site where none of the potential earnings will have to go to Steam. I'd expect that Anet can't just outright say this on their own because Steam would probably be upset by it and may threaten the existence of the storefront, so Anet actually needs us who know about this game already to steer newcomers on Steam back to this site in order to make their final purchase.

• Confused 3

Like one of the recent youtuber Dottz Gaming said "if it doesn't get fun in start i am not going to wait 100 hours for it to get fun".  For all those who were telling him it gets fun in the end. He gave it a fair chance and didn't like it and he isn't the only one. I believe that's where most new players will get turned off. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I wish Steam would remove all the negative reviews regarding not being able to transfer an old account to Steam.

It was never possible to transfer progress in-between accounts and submitting a negative review just for that reason says a lot about the person and nothing about the game. It's not Anet's or Steam's fault that people don't know how the system works. I mean I understand it's annoying as I'd also like to be able to play on all my accs on Steam but I am not gonna be petty about it ...

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 8/25/2022 at 2:34 AM, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

If an experienced 5000 hour player seriously feels the game has changed dramatically recently and they honestly think it's unlikely a new player would enjoy the first 100-500 hours, then sure, a negative review is reasonable.

From what I've seen that isn't the case. I am a relatively new player (top character level 60) and the game is fun. Most of these experienced players seem to be complaining about problems with advanced content. I even heard someone complaining about ArenaNet spending time redoing Living Season 1 - for a new players it's awesome that they are putting back Living Season 1!

Well belive me a lot of us care about new players, and think that the LWS1 (even not being the best content) is good for the game. You will see at lvl 80 why a lot of people say we need a LFG rework (cos its very bad) or why they complain about lack of raids, fractals, dungeons, pvp etc etc

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BatelGeuce.3591 said:

I wish Steam would remove all the negative reviews regarding not being able to transfer an old account to Steam.

It was never possible to transfer progress in-between accounts and submitting a negative review just for that reason says a lot about the person and nothing about the game. It's not Anet's or Steam's fault that people don't know how the system works. I mean I understand it's annoying as I'd also like to be able to play on all my accs on Steam but I am not gonna be petty about it ...

I agree. They should also remove the positive reviews about finding ways to run an existing account as a non-Steam game. Either way it's not what reviews are for and not relevant to people looking to buy the game.

Although I generally only find user reviews useful for spotting common themes and then deciding if that's a problem for me. When I looked up a game marked as 'early access' and almost every review was saying it hadn't been updated in years and was still full of bugs I knew to stay away. If the common theme is something irrelevant (like linking existing accounts to Steam) or there doesn't seem to be one and the positive and negative reviews are all different I take that as a good sign.

• Like 4