Twitch drops showed our play base

3 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

You know what people can also afford with a $100? Every other competitor out there who offers a better new player experience and does a better job at marketing.

Well it then comes down to personal taste and I think GW2 is a good game that does a lot of things right and has a lot of great content to offer. The new player experience certainly isn’t bad. A friend just started playing a month ago and he is really enjoying it. 

Edited by yoni.7015

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

Well it then comes down to personal taste and I think GW2 is a good game that does a lot of things right and had a lot of great content to offer. The new player experience certainly isn’t bad. 

It's definitely worth the price but new players aren't going to think that. 130 CND is expensive for a game that someone might or might not like. 

Just now, Beast Sos.1457 said:

It's definitely worth the price but new players aren't going to think that. 130 CND is expensive for a game that someone might or might not like. 

But you don’t have to pay it right at the start. The core game is free, right?

2 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Well it then comes down to personal taste and I think GW2 is a good game that does a lot of things right and has a lot of great content to offer. The new player experience certainly isn’t bad. A friend just started playing a month ago and he is really enjoying it. 

It is a good game. It's very good and while it has problems I still think it's a MMORPG experience that would appeal to a lot of people right now, people looking for a game that "values their time".

But Miragen is right about marketing. There was no attention given to GW2 on steam. ArenaNet needs to market this game better and hard. Go for a few days of hard marketing around new releases so people outside the GW2 community know about it

SO MANY MMORPG enthusiasts I know in other games barely talk about this one. They think the game is in decline and has been in maintenance mode for years. AsmonGold has said nobody even plays this game at all, which is why it is dying. It's not dying, obviously. This has been a great year for getting new people in. But new people are still just...not aware of it.

I swear the most publicity it has gotten outside the already established community is WoW Dragonflight stealing the Gryphon for their dragon riding feature and people saying "....Hey, isn't that from Guild Wars 2?"

1 minute ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

It is a good game. It's very good and while it has problems I still think it's a MMORPG experience that would appeal to a lot of people right now, people looking for a game that "values their time".

But Miragen is right about marketing. There was no attention given to GW2 on steam. ArenaNet needs to market this game better and hard. Go for a few days of hard marketing around new releases so people outside the GW2 community know about it

SO MANY MMORPG enthusiasts I know in other games barely talk about this one. They think the game is in decline and has been in maintenance mode for years. AsmonGold has said nobody even plays this game at all, which is why it is dying. It's not dying, obviously. This has been a great year for getting new people in. But new people are still just...not aware of it.

I swear the most publicity it has gotten outside the already established community is WoW Dragonflight stealing the Gryphon for their dragon riding feature and people saying "....Hey, isn't that from Guild Wars 2?"

You are absolutely right, they could do better at marketing. I think the twitch drops were a good thing, that really showed that GW2 still has a lot of players. Let’s hope there will be more stuff like that in the future. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

But you don’t have to pay it right at the start. The core game is free, right?

You're right but imo that price is a turn off for many people to the point where they might not bother with it. At the end of the day, people are not looking at gw2 like we are. They see a MMO thats it. If they knew what we know then the price wouldn't be a factor for those who can afford it. 

That will be many existing players. Mostly of a limited age demographic. I dont understand the comparison of livestreams with a limited time with the player count of one minute of a day. Apples and oranges comparison. They missed the Mark by not having a sale for the expacs with the steam release and the 10th birthday. That would be much better marketing. We had many in the past, even slashing the price in two (Pof+Hot), none now. It seems there is only heavy gemstore focus.

Edited by particlepinata.9865
  • Confused 2

I'm a longtime gamer in what I would call not the main demographic for GW2, let alone MMOs in general, that is older gamers. I've been aware of Twitch for a while, but never really approached it in a serious way. Because of the Twitch drops I've now gotten more involved with Twitch and streamers that I probably ever would have done w/o the drops. I've followed a few content creators, and subbed to a couple. Why? Not directly because of the drops, but because after watching some of them for a while, I found them to be informative, helpful, and entertaining to watch.

Sure, the drops were the hook that got me to watch in the first place, and that obvi benefitted the streamers, who commented all day about how huge their audiences had suddenly become. But still, I have to believe that if the drops resulted in my getting more involved with Twitch, they also made me and many others more familiar with areas of the game that they, and I haven't really approached much...raids, PvP and WvW.. Because of that, I'm now more likely to at least try those areas of the game.

All this to say that Twitch drops have the potential to do two things

1. Get players familiar with areas of the game they might not have ever tried.

2. Introduce GW2 to more potential new players than might have happened without the drops.

So, IMO, Twitch drops are a good and useful thing to the health and longevity of GW2. They are a relatively inexpensive way for ANet to increase the player base. I hope the drops continue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, particlepinata.9865 said:

That will be many existing players. Mostly of a limited age demographic. I dont understand the comparison of livestreams with a limited time with the player count of one minute of a day. Apples and oranges comparison. They missed the Mark by not having a sale for the expacs with the steam release and the 10th birthday. That would be much better marketing. We had many in the past, even slashing the price in two (Pof+Hot), none now. It seems there is only heavy gemstore focus.

The best thing they could have done was both drops and a discount. 

• Like 1