Dialog volume drops too low when turning away from the speaker

Since around the time of the DX11 launch, I've been experiencing a drastic decrease in dialog volume when I turn away from whoever is speaking.

When listening to an NPC speak, I'm accustomed to some change in volume and balance as I spin the camera around 360 degrees, but the extreme drop in volume when turning my back to the NPC is a new phenomenon which makes the dialog volume imperceptibly low.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue and it just recently started doing this.  I would like to add that I can be standing 10ft away from an npc talking and turn my camera to look around with my character facing them and can hear nothing. However I can fly away from them while they are speaking and be half a map away, turn the camera in their direction and hear them as if they are standing right in front of me even if there is a mountain the way. What's the deal here? 

Edited by simple jack.3592
addition
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Turn your surround sound off if you have a system that supports it.

That's not the issue.

I can cofirm weird sound behavior, and both, my soundcard's settings and my in-game settings, are correct (2-speakers, Stereo). Only that, in my case, it's more a directional issue that splits weirdly left and right with no real "center."

The sound was behaving normally before. I don't know whether it's related to DX11, necessarily, but could be something related to a patch? (Of course I could test it, but it never bothered me that much. It's not like certain channels wouldn't play at all, and I hear all dialogue just fine.)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

for instance I am standing  in front of two npc that are talking. If I zoom in and look at one the audio from the other will cut out if they aren't directly in front of me and standing just to the side.  Or if I pan the camera at say at distance of 10ft away from someone that is talking or even closer the audio cuts out or sometimes It sounds if they are at the end of a long tunnel or cave and I can barely hear an echo. This is if they are standing right there next to me. I mean if Im in the same room standing next to someone who is talking and my glance goes away from them I can still hear them talk irl. I just don't get it. 

• 1 month later...

fixed this issue just now. made sure the audio device was set to realtek speakers in gw2 and on the pc. Then and I know i unticked this before, under sound settings/speaker realtek/enhance audio made sure it was off. I know i turned this off before but maybe windows did something goofy, who knows. When i ticked the slider i lost all sound on gw2 for a second then had to reselect the audio device in gw2.