Decade of the Dragons achievement

Alik.9651

I thought this is a game and all about having fun. Doing game modes you don't like is not fun. There should be enough events in each game mode for the reward for those that don't like other modes. It's not like any of this content is hard or challenging, so at least make it fun for us.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, tmorrow.5189 said:

I thought this is a game and all about having fun. Doing game modes you don't like is not fun. There should be enough events in each game mode for the reward for those that don't like other modes. It's not like any of this content is hard or challenging, so at least make it fun for us.

This event is pretty clearly about 10 years of the game and players revisiting zones/modes -not about killing the same world boss 20 times for a reward. Don't want to participate in it for a skin, then don't.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 12

11 minutes ago, tmorrow.5189 said:

Thanks for the sagely advice. I wouldn't have thought of this all by myself.

Glad I could help with solving this huge problem. The part you conveniently didn't include in the quote was at least equally important though.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 10

22 minutes ago, tmorrow.5189 said:

No you see, we're only supposed to have fun the way anet wants us to. Otherwise, we're supposed to "just not do it" and "it's optional!"

Hilariously, GW2 even used the line "play your way" in the steam trailer released on aug 16. That is a line I've seen abused in more than one game now that basically means nothing anymore. "Play your way except when we want you to play our way, which is probably most of the time, but as long as you are willing to ignore most rewards in the game, then you can kinda make it your own game I guess and technically play your way" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

At this point I think "play your way" is a line that should be reserved for sandbox games, where you can mold the game world like clay, creatively, to play it in your own way.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

7 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

No you see, we're only supposed to have fun the way anet wants us to. Otherwise, we're supposed to "just not do it" and "it's optional!"

Talk about setting up a straw man.

No, you're free to have fun whenever you want to have it, but apparently you're somehow getting locked out of "having fun" because you want a cape more than you want to have the fun you constantly claim you want. It's a pretty simple event with a clear theme. If you refuse to participate then it's your choice and the complaint about "being forced to do it" is just weird. You're not even close to being forced to do anything here.

7 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Hilariously, GW2 even used the line "play your way" in the steam trailer released on aug 16.

Yeah, it did use it the same way they used it in the past and you still keep re-framing its meaning to pretend you can't "play your way" unless you don't get whatever you want for replaying whatever limited content you want. But that's not what it means and not what it ever meant.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 10

55 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Glad I could help with solving this huge problem. The part you conveniently didn't include in the quote was at least equally important though.

What's important for you isn't that same as what's important to me. I don't like doing content I don't like doing. I want options to to get the reward without doing objectionable content. It's up to Arenanet to decide to accommodate that or not. I don't care what you have to say about it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

11 minutes ago, tmorrow.5189 said:

What's important for you isn't that same as what's important to me. I don't like doing content I don't like doing. I want options to to get the reward without doing objectionable content. It's up to Arenanet to decide to accommodate that or not. I don't care what you have to say about it.

It wasn't supposed to be somehow "important for you"(?), it was important due to the context of what this event is and why it does what it does.

You had your snarky "woah, I wouldn't think of that!", but at the same time completely disregarded why it's rather clear what this thematic event does and why it makes sense to do the way it is done. You're free to dislike it all you want, but it still doesn't change what this event is.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

FWIW I just roflstomped my way through a match.

Were you doing it more recently, on when the achievements were introduced? Because the initial seasons were a real mess. Not only the matchmaking during the first few seasons was highly questionable (and i am putting it very mildly), and Anet kept kicking the meta over in-between seasons, but there was a serious time pressure - there was no safety net of doing the achieves throughout several seasons, because at that time Anet strongly suggested that after first 4 seasons the acquisition method is going to change (to a worse one), which necessitated doing each tier of achievemens within a single season.

In the end, that did not happen, and the method did not change, but we didn't know that at the time.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Confused 4

Well ... there is WvW as well - just noticed that. (Though technically you could just finish some of the PvE events there. I mean ... basically all events are PvE just that for attacking/defending objectives usually other players of the enemy team try to join as well.)

And as a quick reminder: There also are things were people are forced to play another game mode. Especially with the WvW for legendary weapons for that gift. (PvP component can be bought at the vendor with mats that you can buy in the trading post I think.) Since this is basically celebrating the entire games 10th anniversary ... I think it is fine.

As long as it does not require wins on more than 1 profession where you would be foreced to play something else than your main. They could have added those hotjoin custom arena matches maybe? (Don't know if they work. But they are dead anyways.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Were you doing it more recently, on when the achievements were introduced? Because the initial seasons were a real mess. Not only the matchmaking during the first few seasons was highly questionable (and i am putting it very mildly), and Anet kept kicking the meta over in-between seasons, but there was a serious time pressure - there was no safety net of doing the achieves throughout several seasons, because at that time Anet strongly suggested that after first 4 seasons the acquisition method is going to change (to a worse one), which necessitated doing each tier of achievemens within a single season.

In the end, that did not happen, and the method did not change, but we didn't know that at the time.

I mean the context of my statement implies temporal proximity to the present does it not?

• Confused 4

Yep, they're at it again. Forcing people to play unpopular parts of the game to get some basic prize (now it's the new cape; last time it was the turtle mount).  I've never actually met anyone who enjoys pvp.  Even those who play it regularly seem to spend their time complaining about it.  And the toxicity is legendary.  Another blow to my loyalty to GW2 (as a veteran of nearly 10 years' play with 4 active accounts).  

• Like 9
  • Confused 7

5 minutes ago, Molesworth.1684 said:

Yep, they're at it again. Forcing people to play unpopular parts of the game to get some basic prize (now it's the new cape; last time it was the turtle mount).  I've never actually met anyone who enjoys pvp.  Even those who play it regularly seem to spend their time complaining about it.  And the toxicity is legendary.  Another blow to my loyalty to GW2 (as a veteran of nearly 10 years' play with 4 active accounts).  

I know players that enjoy PvP. 18 from the 20 achievements are entirely open world. Playing ten games of PvP or ten events in WvW is really not a big deal. Anet stated before that it will include WvW and PvP. If you don’t like it then don’t do it, very simple. No one is forcing you 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Molesworth.1684 said:

1) No one is forced to play any aspect of the game.

2) A prize implemented as part of celebrating all aspects of the game is not "basic."

3) The most toxicity Ive ever seen in game has been in open world PvE.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

Just now, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The DE meta specifically.

The worst Ive seen has been at the Arah event in Cursed Shore. People waiting for it to fail calling those there to do an event as designed every name in the book. Telling  people to kill themselves. Any verbal abuse you can imagine.

I understand the frustration inspired by the way ANet chose to design the collection, but it is up to the player to decide how he or she will respond to an annoyance.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Molesworth.1684 said:

Hi, I’m Gibson and I like PvP. Nice to meet you.

I’m mid silver, play ranked, and though occasional afk players or grumpy teammates are a thing, I end up in enough thrillingly close matches to keep coming back.

In my experience, the toxicity in PvP is vastly overstated. It’s entirely possible that’s just because I’m not very skilled, and largely get matched with people who are just playing to have fun instead of to see their names on a leaderboard.

I definitely feel your pain, though. I’m annoyed that ArenaNet has been trying to get me into instanced PVE with rewards that can’t even be used there.  

I appreciate what they’ve done in the past with some achievements, requiring us to do most, but not all of the sub-achievements and still earn completion. The flexibility to avoid the ones we find most onerous is appreciated. Why they aren’t consistent with this, I don’t know.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

I know players that enjoy PvP. 18 from the 20 achievements are entirely open world. Playing ten games of PvP or ten events in WvW is really not a big deal. Anet stated before that it will include WvW and PvP. If you don’t like it then don’t do it, very simple. No one is forcing you 

10 events in WvW is not a big deal. You can get it done super fast. 10 matches in PvP? That takes much, much longer.

And no one is forcing you to be here whining about the complaints of others. Some of us are simply pointing out the achievement that takes the longest to complete is also the one the vast majority of the playerbase does not want to do. Generally speaking a celebration event should be fun and not "grind at something you don't want to do".

They could have added "kill 10 raid bosses" as an achievement. They didn't. Why? Because it's supposed to be a fun, accessible event and not a grind nobody wants to complete.

Arena Net needs to understand offering up PvE players to PvP queues is not a solution for PvP being dead. No one is going "wow, I didn't give PvP a chance but this 10 game achievement changed my mind".

If you want to sell a PvP mode, sell WvW because it has some unique selling points. Just give up on sPvP. I'm sorry to the people who enjoy it but it's not worth the time and money in developing it or balancing it. The playerbase for arena PvP combat is in MOBAs and they're not jumping ship to GW2. 

Edited by Leger.3724
  • Like 6
  • Confused 7

17 minutes ago, Leger.3724 said:

Arena Net needs to understand offering up PvE players to PvP queues is not a solution for PvP being dead. No one is going "wow, I didn't give PvP a chance but this 10 game achievement changed my mind".

I used to play a lot of PvP but after I got my legendary armor set and the backpack I switched to WvW.

Today I played the first PvP match in two years and I realized again that PvP can be a lot of fun. So for me the achievement was a motivation to do PvP again. But of course, for others it is just another motivation to complain on the forums.

I don’t see PvP or WvW players crying that they have to do 18 open world achievements to get the cape. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3