did I somehow miss the entire birthday celebration?

As is traditional, we’ll also have a wide range of Gem Store sales to celebrate the anniversary, and maybe even a few freebies to collect (spoiler: mount skin).

....did those awesome sales and freebies happen in some 5ms timeframe while I was not online? All the gemstore has to offer are fairly useless "steam welcome" packs, mount skin is indeed there, but 1600 gems seems tad expensive for a "freebie" and the only "gift" I seen was teleport to friend (thanks, have the gemstore permanent one) and the fact the starting zone achivements were retired without a word of warning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

In previous years the actual anniversary has been pretty much the end of the celebration, this year it's more like the middle, possibly because they wanted new players on Steam to be able to join in. But we've had some sales already, bank tabs, shared inventory slots and some other stuff was discounted in early August and there's been a few free items in the gem store.

The various black lion vouchers have also come back, they're only available during special events and give a discount over buying the items directly.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jirian.7512 said:

....did those awesome sales and freebies happen in some 5ms timeframe while I was not online? All the gemstore has to offer are fairly useless "steam welcome" packs, mount skin is indeed there, but 1600 gems seems tad expensive for a "freebie" and the only "gift" I seen was teleport to friend (thanks, have the gemstore permanent one) and the fact the starting zone achivements were retired without a word of warning.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_10th_Anniversary#Giveaways

• Like 1

I am more interested in a potential LW episodes or expansions discounts. Currently I am planning to buy EoD and LW seasons 3-4, but I am still waiting for a potential sales, as the current economic situation in my country made me much more aware of what I spend my money on.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

I mean I sure do not hope they are planning a discount any time soon just after they asked people to pay a $100 on Steam.

True, I haven't thought about it this way. I guess it would not be really fair for anyone who actually bought that $100 pack. On the other hand, I wonder how many people bought that. Currently I can't see any reason for anyone buying it at this price, especially if you can take a quick glance at a Guild Wars shop and find out that the expac collection is 10 bucks cheaper there than on the Steam. I mean, it's priced as the ultimate collection without the goodies (considering you would use the gems provided for purchasing LW seasons). When they announced this pack I expected it as a way for a new players to save money in the long run by buying all at once. I would've never guessed they just offer everything at full price in one pack.

Yeah it's a crappy deal, one that gets significantly worse if it's 50% of a week later, when ArenaNet 100% knew it was coming of course, that would just be extremely consumer unfriendly and a pure greed move, but the alternative is not having a sale which also isn't helping the game so they got themselves into a corner really.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've seen MMOSs do far less for their 10 year so I gotta start with saying that much.

But as a newer player I felt festival of the four winds was a bigger deal. I'm sure others who've done it several years don't feel the same.

It struck the chord for me though that this game is starting to rely on grinding as content. Stark contrast from HoT/PoF to post EoD content.

Achievements/Unlocks while cool are typically supposed to be the reward for doing something fun or challenging (ideally both) not the central focus. After playing EoD, then this, its one trend I'm noticing is the game is getting away from its strengths or at least not using em enough. 

10 year celebration I thought there was going to be something fun put in the game. Cool they hooked up achievement players and some people seem happy with the decade armor stuff, happy for them truly.

But as one who prefers engaging content, I hope they bring more combat centric content out then they have as of late. EoD has left me wanting and was hoping for maybe a cool boss fight. Even a small meta or a small scale world boss/legendary bounty something to do beyond the typical go collect 10 squirrels stuff. Even like a cheesy one like fight a giant X (for the roman numeral 10) or Subject X/10 etc. 

Just want more to do for fun and less to grind from anything, but especially celebrations!

Edited by Voyant.1327
  • Like 6
  • Confused 3

I was expecting expansion and gem discounts all over but I guess arenanet thinks they're immune to the product lifecycle curve just because they sell digital items /shrug

I guess I'll build another ebike this month instead.

Edited by rune.9572
formatting sucks
  • Confused 2

On 8/26/2022 at 4:30 AM, Voyant.1327 said:

I've seen MMOSs do far less for their 10 year so I gotta start with saying that much.

But as a newer player I felt festival of the four winds was a bigger deal. I'm sure others who've done it several years don't feel the same.

It struck the chord for me though that this game is starting to rely on grinding as content. Stark contrast from HoT/PoF to post EoD content.

Achievements/Unlocks while cool are typically supposed to be the reward for doing something fun or challenging (ideally both) not the central focus. After playing EoD, then this, its one trend I'm noticing is the game is getting away from its strengths or at least not using em enough. 

10 year celebration I thought there was going to be something fun put in the game. Cool they hooked up achievement players and some people seem happy with the decade armor stuff, happy for them truly.

But as one who prefers engaging content, I hope they bring more combat centric content out then they have as of late. EoD has left me wanting and was hoping for maybe a cool boss fight. Even a small meta or a small scale world boss/legendary bounty something to do beyond the typical go collect 10 squirrels stuff. Even like a cheesy one like fight a giant X (for the roman numeral 10) or Subject X/10 etc. 

Just want more to do for fun and less to grind from anything, but especially celebrations!

I hate to say it but I found this 10 year celebration quite a bit ... underwhelming.

Some new achievements for repeating old content, new skins and a handful of free tidbits.

Maybe its because I'm parched and thirsty for new story content that after six months and counting has left me a dried out withered husk still chasing that illusion of Living World 6 thats always just on the horizon but I was expecting a lot more for a celebration that was a decade in the making, at the very least something akin to a holiday event.

Instead I feel like I've been invited to an awesome party and the only ones who turned up are myself and Colin Robinson.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shadamehr.1284 said:

I hate to say it but I found this 10 year celebration quite a bit ... underwhelming.

Some new achievements for repeating old content, new skins and a handful of free tidbits.

Maybe its because I'm parched and thirsty for new story content that after six months and counting has left me a dried out withered husk still chasing that illusion of Living World 6 thats always just on the horizon but I was expecting a lot more for a celebration that was a decade in the making, at the very least something akin to a holiday event.

Instead I feel like I've been invited to an awesome party and the only ones who turned up are myself and Colin Robinson.

What were did you see Colin?

On 8/25/2022 at 2:30 PM, Voyant.1327 said:

It is weird when you think about how for the anniversary they added zero new content to the game and instead basically said "go replay old stuff over and over and if you do enough of it, we'll give you a skin."

As objectives that have you replaying old stuff goes, At least Return To has some objectives to it that require you to think about what you're doing and it has an incredible reward at the end.

The carrot for 10 year is like... here's a medium res heavy armor skin to go with a high res cape that doesn't even match.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't understand where the quality control is. Like whether you think the armor or cape looks cool is a matter of taste, that's fine, but it's not a matter of taste that the textures aren't even of the same quality. It's not a matter of taste that the armor is distinctly a heavy look and matches no other weight visually. It's not a matter of taste that the armor and cape style don't even match. These are the kind of things that have me losing confidence in the game.

Like I agree with the spirit of what you're saying. A small scale boss or meta, something fun. I'm not criticizing them because they didn't go big (I know that's what some posters will think I'm saying), but because of the quality of what they put out.

I would have been happy with just the cape and something like you described, something fun to do. They can miss me with the copy/paste checklists that say you showed up in different game modes for a bit.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1