Any chance for GW2 to go to Epic Games too?

Erf...

On principle alone, I'm not against it... But the EGS is not that great. I feel like that'd probably cost more to Anet than it's worth. Atleast Steam has an established store, and dedicated userbase.

Bookah just reminded me of how much I Hate the EGS with all the exclusive abusive practices they've done recently. Not a good sign of integrity indeed.

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

I haven't used Epic Games since Untitled Goose Game came out, but if it's going to be on Steam for advertising it seems sensible to put it on other stores as well.

GoG is the one I normally use, but that's because it's DRM free so you can play the games offline and make your own backups and that doesn't apply to GW2 since it's an entirely online game. But again, if the point is to put the game out there for new audiences it could be a good choice.

21 hours ago, sixburn.5807 said:

Since GW2 made it on Steam, going to EGS should be a good move too, EGS has many Free to Play players.

The Steam launch wasn't about F2P players. It was mainly about Steam as payment provider for all those people who couldn't buy GW2 or gems, because of the absence of a local Amazon online-store, issues with ANet's payment providers (past and present) or the general lack of any other official third-party retailer for many parts of the world. It's actually quite embarrassing when the community has to figure out each sale whether Aussies or Canadians have to buy gem cards from an official retailer in the Netherlands or Switzerland. :classic_rolleyes: 

Unless EGS, GoG and others offer similar payment services like Steam, it seems quite unlikely that ANet will split the playerbase even more.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sixburn.5807 said:

Since GW2 made it on Steam, going to EGS should be a good move too, EGS has many Free to Play players.

And we can promote this game more¬†ūüíį¬†ūü§Ď

Steam is well liked by a large diverse group of players.

Epic Games Store is polarizing and less popular. 

Steam is the only big game launcher I care about, use and support and I have nothing but negative things to say about EGS and most other launchers.

But aside from my own bias and resentfulness towards those other launchers I can't think of any good reason to oppose GW2 being on them.

As long as that doesn't negatively impact the game and the playerbase on the other launchers i'm fine with it.

If we end up seeing things like exclusive freebies or what not being thrown around just for players using Epic then yes I would have a very big problem with that.
Not that I believe Anet would allow something like that to happen anyway, but in that theoretical "what if" scenario I would have a problem with it.

6 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I honestly thought that the Epic Games store had died. After all of the backlash due to their approach to exclusive games, and little subsequent mention, I thought they had shut down or had gone into some form of maintenance mode.

Pretty certain Epic themselves continue to grow. I believe their store still retains a many millions strong user base. 

18 hours ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

The Steam launch wasn't about F2P players. It was mainly about Steam as payment provider for all those people who couldn't buy GW2 or gems, because of the absence of a local Amazon online-store, issues with ANet's payment providers (past and present) or the general lack of any other official third-party retailer for many parts of the world. It's actually quite embarrassing when the community has to figure out each sale whether Aussies or Canadians have to buy gem cards from an official retailer in the Netherlands or Switzerland. :classic_rolleyes: 

Unless EGS, GoG and others offer similar payment services like Steam, it seems quite unlikely that ANet will split the playerbase even more.

Steam players use the same servers as everyone else, so it's not splitting the player base, it's pretty much just another digital shop. 

For Steam it's also a different login method, but I'm not sure if that would apply to other stores and even then once you're in the game it's the same for everyone. 

Geforce now just gave a gw2 chair. Epic games only takes a 12% cut but yeah I imagine the only people it'd bring would be the fortnite kiddies, but hey I mean free marketing is free marketing. Fortnite dancing over a enemy's tombstone though and 12 year old kids on mics who play fps and building games like Minecraft might not have the most compatibility.

But if they do a future gw unreal engine project in the future I think fees are waived somewhat for epic games. 

Edited by Sunchaser.9854

50 minutes ago, Darkobra.6439 said:

Did you use the same logic with Steam? 

I'm sorry, i must have missed all those paid steam exclusives that you're obviously referring to here. Could you perhaps enlighten the class to which games valve have paid developers to only release their game on steam?

On 8/25/2022 at 10:05 PM, Bookah pls.9352 said:

COMING SOON TO GUILD WARS 2!

LIVING WORLD SEASON 6

EXCLUSIVELY ON EPIC GAMES

Yeah no thanks.

you win the best comment of the day award. congratulations. 

(even if im 2 days late with it XD)

Edited by MrGrim.2193
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Steam players use the same servers as everyone else, so it's not splitting the player base, it's pretty much just another digital shop. 

I guess my wording was a bit confusing here. I'm fully aware that the gameplay experience is pretty much the same for anyone regardless of where they bought GW2. I was actually referring to the sales and support aspect.

Take the Complete Collection¬†bundle for example. If you buy it on Steam the LW seasons are ~23% cheaper than buying them via gems (ignoring the fact that you have to overbuy gems unless you use gold). On Steam you also buy separate editions of PoF (incl. HoT) and EoD for ~30‚ā¨ each, regardless if you buy them in the ~100‚ā¨ Complete Collection¬†bundle or not. On the other hand there is no ~50‚ā¨ Collection bundle for those who aren't interested in LW seasons, but want all 3 expansions.

Imagine what will happen once discounts for gems and expansions sales start appearing at the end of the year. Will there be parity between Steam, ANet's shop and the other official retailers, or will the mess we had a couple of times last year repeat itself again? Maybe this time even worse?

Personally I'm probably just a bit disappointed that ANet, NC West or whoever calls the shots for GW2's sales & marketing didn't use the opportunity to streamline their offerings. However that is in some part from my whale's perspective of someone who has and still buys more accounts than most people have in the game.

Edited by TheWaternymphHC.1847
typos

1 hour ago, Bookah pls.9352 said:

I'm sorry, i must have missed all those paid steam exclusives that you're obviously referring to here. Could you perhaps enlighten the class to which games valve have paid developers to only release their game on steam?

I'm really sorry. I genuinely forgot for a second I'm twice your age.

Orange Box. 

I don't blame you. I forget sometimes that not all gamers are the same age and have the same experience so you think Guild Wars 2 is the GREATEST GAME EVER, weren't around for the launch of Steam, the beta of Guild Wars 1 and don't even know why Half Life 3 is a meme. 

• Confused 2