Steam "complete collection" or the "ultimate collection"

I am gonna commit to this game, for reals, just wanna figure out where I thrown down my €100 for the next couple of years of entertainment 😃

It basically comes down to the Living World packs OR 4000 gems.

Personally, I don't really care for story, and tbh I rather do without it. I hate when stuff is gated behind it -- that is usually the only reason why I let myself get dragged down that road. I like to make "my own story" 😃

Is there anything that is really nice gated behind any of the Living World content, that I cannot get anywhere else?? I guess that is the question.

On the flip side, I am 100% completely new and have no idea what I would do with 4000 gems.

I have read that I could just use the gems to get the Living world seasons, and even get them on a seasonal sale if I so desired.

Just curious what is best. Any input? Thanks in advance.

You can get Living Season with Gems, yes. 

And in my honest opinion. Living season is something that is a necessary and great addition to this game. 

Livings Season adds a main story line, so its not just a random DLC, it is actually a true contination of the story. 

Some legendary gear and a lot of skins are locked behind the living season as well as 2 mounts. 

Edit: if they go on sale again is a big question. You can wait until you reach the story to buy the next living story. This is the order of playing: 

Core -> LS1 (Free, but 2 episodes are still to be rereleased before end of this year) -> Ls2 -> Heart of thornes -> Ls3 -> Path of Fire -> Ls4 -> Ls5 (IceBrood saga) -> End of Dragons.

Edited by Cronospere.8143
Correction order

As well as the story the Living World releases add new maps (with everything that entails, new events, achievements, hidden areas etc.) new items, some of which can be quite useful (like ascended trinkets which let you choose stats) or nice cosmetics, and new masteries, including some mounts (for example you need all of Season 4 to get the skyscale). Some LW maps are also considered among the best places to farm gold.

So I'd say they're quite useful even if you're not interested in the story itself.

In your situation I think either is a good choice. You could but the Ultimate edition of the Collection bundle and save the 4000 gems for things you want, either buying LW releases as you need them or other stuff. (If you do that bear in mind it may be cheaper to buy whole seasons than individual episodes because there's a permanent 20% discount on the gem store bundles and often bigger discounts during sales.) Or you could buy the Complete Collection so you know you've got access to everything in the gem then buy gems (with gold or real money) as and when you find something in the gem store you want.

Basically, a Living World season includes almost as much content as a full expansion, so yes, I'd say they're worth it.

Even with its lacklustre ending, the Icebrood Saga (technically Living World Season 5) has 3 large, fully featured maps.

LWS 3 & 4 each have 6 maps, more than shipped with any of the expansions (HoT and PoF had 5 maps, EoD has 4).

So technically, if open world maps are your thing, you get more from the LWS episodes than you do from the expansions.

1 hour ago, jalisco.4037 said:

Is there anything that is really nice gated behind any of the Living World content, that I cannot get anywhere else?? I guess that is the question.

Yes, the maps, for example. They are really fun to play.

The maps from Season 3 and Season 4 are one of the best maps in this game you can explore. And for example the Season 3+4 maps added a lot to the ideas of HoT with a lot of more fun ways to travel maps (it is so much more than just gliding and mushroom-jumping from HoT) and you should try this out (instead of mounts, at least at first).

And if you want sometime ascended trinkets (back item, rings, amulett, accessoire) and underwater breather the season 3+4 maps are perfect for this because you can buy all these with season 3 +4 map currencies you can get/farm on these maps easily.

Edited by Zok.4956

1 hour ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Core -> LS1 (Free, but 2 episodes are still to be rereleased before end of this year) -> Ls2 -> Heart of thornes -> Ls3 -> Ls4 -> Path of Fire -> Ls5 (IceBrood saga) -> End of Dragons.

A small correction:    LS1 -> LS2 -> HoT -> LS3 -> PoF -> LS4 -> LS5(IBS) -> EoD

LS3 is a direct continuation of the story of HoT and LS4 is a direct continuation of the story of PoF.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recommend you get the ultimate collection off of this site. As of this moment in time, if you only have a Guild Wars 2 account on Steam, you will be unable to link that account to a Guild Wars 1 account which may or may not be important to you later on depending on how important collecting achievement points and cosmetic options are to you. See the article about Hall of Monuments rewards on the wiki for a preview of what linking accounts could get you.

The 4000 gems can be used to purchase some excellent quality of life upgrades such as a copper-fed salvage-o-matic and a set of unbreakable gathering tools so that you never have to worry about going to a merchant for salvage kits and tools on the character carrying these things. If you happen to find these things at a discount in the gem shop, you could possibly even get some shared inventory slots so that you can keep the salvage-o-matic available to all your characters. With these upgrades, you'll be ready to extract every piece of coin you can off the path you walk by selling all the materials you get to other players on the trading post. You can then exchange the coin for gems on the trading post and then purchase the Living World seasons that you want to play.