Extremely laggy since Aug 23 Update

Perhaps coincidence, but the connection has been extremely unstable and laggy since the Aug 23 update. Suffering at 2.3k average ping. I've confirmed with my ISP and through my own dabbling that it's not my system, it's the connection to gw2 servers. In other word, it only occurs when on GW2. It's extremely bad when in large groups/zergs. (And yes, it's network lag, not framerate dropping, etc.)

Curious if others in the South East Asia region are experiencing this too.

Edited by Demonhead.7584
  • Sad 1

i haven't had any lag tho i did read some inviduals having lags the last couple of days, with that said i just logged off after a long session of pvp to get some dinner now logging back on to 500+ ping really laggy not sure whats up lol.

im located in northrend europe, i bet it must be the servers having a harsh time atm.

Edit : so i been on a bit even tho it is very laggy right now for some reason, i went into wvw and since it is making new match ups we got kicked out, from that moment it stopped lagging and is now stable.

Edited by Xaint.7461
  • Like 1

I have been experience issues with latency lately too.

At around 6:30pm PDT and for a bit into the evening. I have noticed issues with latency and inputs not registering for long periods of time. Before and after this time everything works fine.

I decided to run the WinMTR ping/trace route tool while my inputs and latency where bad, and here are my findings.

This time I was in WvW and the latency seemed to get worse when I was near an enemy blob.

The network tool seems to indicate that there is no network issue up to the last hop that responds to ping, however in game ping is horrendous. So it seems something is happening with the connection after that node.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1015875033937223711/1015875162148720640/ping.png

• Like 1

I've also had this issue around 630 PDT / 930 EST as my fellow users have mentioned above. 2k+ ping spikes while not disconnecting from the game, no issues with any other devices/applications/etc.

I've done 20-30 hours of trouble shooting, researching, talking with ISP, and having my entire firmware/equipment replaced.

I've ran traceroutes, WINMTR ping files, and it all indicates that I get 100% packetloss after step 5 which means it's failing on Anet's server side (according to gw2support/network troubleshooting).

It's a shame that as a 10 year veteran of this game, I simply cannot play it. GW2 support just throws the 'reset your router' and 'flush your DNS' after asking for traceroutes that obviously show it's failing on Anet's side.

Edited by Bandana.4359

I have been lagging slightly during this time frame too and let's hope it's just a temporary thing. It is not as troublesome to me, but I am restricted to only doing dailies. I had to give up on meta, but it's OK, I do have other games to play in the meantime. Hope my lagging days gets solved soon tho.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:41 PM, Bandana.4359 said:

I've also had this issue around 630 PDT / 930 EST as my fellow users have mentioned above. 2k+ ping spikes while not disconnecting from the game, no issues with any other devices/applications/etc.

I've done 20-30 hours of trouble shooting, researching, talking with ISP, and having my entire firmware/equipment replaced.

I've ran traceroutes, WINMTR ping files, and it all indicates that I get 100% packetloss after step 5 which means it's failing on Anet's server side (according to gw2support/network troubleshooting).

It's a shame that as a 10 year veteran of this game, I simply cannot play it. GW2 support just throws the 'reset your router' and 'flush your DNS' after asking for traceroutes that obviously show it's failing on Anet's side.

I'm a friend of this dude. We have been working on this identical issue together. We have a mutual friend who does tech/network support for a major online retailer and he's been helping us through this too. We can rest assured this is Anet's server side. Both Bandana and myself are NA. I'm Western Canada and he's Mid/West states. I've been using a VPN and it helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem plus it quadruples my ping.

Just an update. Last night I was getting around 200ms (normal) with periods of 500ms and spikes around 1000ms+. Some wild things happening at Xera, like being rocket boosted into the stratosphere by lag while gliding and then dying... 

According to arcDPS there seemed to be a packet loss issue, meaning this is likely a game server issue. Hopefully the issue can be identified soon, and a solution found.

• 6 months later...

I am reviving this topic after a long time. I had the same problems all of a sudden about a week ago. Up until then I had been playing fine since the game's release on Steam. During the day everything works fine and in the evening the game is almost unplayable. I solved it via Ticket with the Anet people and we came to the conclusion that I have lost packets and I should contact my internet provider. So I did and he told me there was no problem with them. Next, I tried turning the game on with the Command line argument -clientport 80 and that seemed to solve the problems. 
However, after 2 days the game is now unplayable again. Has anyone come up with a workable solution or is this really a problem on ANET's side and their support just played me fool for 2 days? 

Edited by Dahakere.4719
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Similar problem to the above mentioned...and this issue has become ever more persistent. Over the last two months, things have been getting progressively worse. It is to the point where even standing idle in Amnoon/Thousand Seas Pavillion will see my ping go to 300-1.5k... 

It's only GW2 that has this issue, it's definitely not my ISP nor my system. I've been playing for many, many years without this ever being an issue.

Hoping for a fix sooner, rather than later.

Edited by Demonhead.7584
  • Sad 1