Transcendent Tempest not working correctly?

Lily.1935

So the tooltip in game says that its 15 seconds but it doesn't last that long. Seems its known on the wiki as well. Think maybe we could get this fixed? I'm super close to having like a fantastic simple fire tempest build but the duration is keeping it from getting there.

it was 7% for 7s pre-patch, and patch notes never said anything about increasing the duration

i dont really care if its 7s or 15s, but im guessing the idea behind the orignal duration was to reward switching out and chaining overloads from different attunements over camping (i mean you still get something though), so it sounds more like a tooltip mistake rather than a bug

chain lighting has never bounced 3 times yet its tooltip has apparently said it does for probably a decade now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

it was 7% for 7s pre-patch, and patch notes never said anything about increasing the duration

i dont really care if its 7s or 15s, but im guessing the idea behind the orignal duration was to reward switching out and chaining overloads from different attunements over camping (i mean you still get something though), so it sounds more like a tooltip mistake rather than a bug

chain lighting has never bounced 3 times yet its tooltip has apparently said it does for probably a decade now

In game it does say its suppose to be 15 seconds. For me, having a simple ele rotation would be really nice to increase its popularity. I like the build, its fun. But the duration is proving to be a problem.

Tempest is designed to stay in a single elements for longer periods, makes no sense to force continuous rotation due to limited transcendent Tempest time. Avg 7% dps increase on GM trait is also underwhelming (especially because of the abysmal adept and master traits). 15 sec simply makes dps temp more viable and promotes more freedom & QoL improvements. 

2 hours ago, the krytan assassin.9235 said:

Tempest is designed to stay in a single elements for longer periods, makes no sense to force continuous rotation due to limited transcendent Tempest time. Avg 7% dps increase on GM trait is also underwhelming (especially because of the abysmal adept and master traits). 15 sec simply makes dps temp more viable and promotes more freedom & QoL improvements. 

playing with tempest the overload time is way too long as well. 4 Seconds is an eternity in a rotation and the fact that its required to activate, and I do want to activate it, makes the whole thing kinda clunky. Its also a 15% increase now which makes sense for a grandmaster imo. It should fill the same function as Soul Barbs for necromancer. Soul barbs forces a timing restriction on necromancer for Reaper, Scourge and Harbinger which is fun to engage with. It seems that the intention was for Transcendent Tempest is supposed to be the same way but its treated like a burst instead. Even if it was 15 seconds if you were to stay in a single element and overload off of cooldown with alacrity and taking Arcane you actually couldn't maintain 100% uptime. Closer to 95% if it was fixed I believe, which isn't bad but its channel is too long.

I'm don't play ele much so my opinion is really from an outsider perspective. I'm a necromancer main with engineer secondary since 2008. But I'll give my opinion and you and others who are more experienced with Elementalist can take it with a grain of salt.

Transcendent Tempest should be fixed to be 15 seconds.

Overload should probably have its cast time reduced. 3 seconds would probably be okay, 2 would be preferred and adjust the damage/healing accordingly.

I'm currently running a fire build and its not bad. Fire Arcane, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Its just not quite there in terms of damage considering the build does only damage and nothing else. At least its very beginner friendly.

Edited by Lily.1935
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lily.1935 said:

Overload should probably have its cast time reduced. 3 seconds would probably be okay, 2 would be preferred and adjust the damage/healing accordingly.

I definitely agree. Channel time longer then 1 sec in pvp/wvw & channel longer then 2 sec in PvE are abit clunky and a major disadvantage. Unfortunately Tempest even with the 15 sec duration of transcendent Tempest is still underwhelming. The minors, adept and master traitline offer zero synergy with dps focused builds.

14 hours ago, the krytan assassin.9235 said:

I definitely agree. Channel time longer then 1 sec in pvp/wvw & channel longer then 2 sec in PvE are abit clunky and a major disadvantage. Unfortunately Tempest even with the 15 sec duration of transcendent Tempest is still underwhelming. The minors, adept and master traitline offer zero synergy with dps focused builds.

Yeah, I tested the build as is right now in Raids last night and I found it to be extremely underwhelming. It was such a disappointment to behold since its ramp time was so slow plus its reliance on elementals proved to be cumbersome. I ended up swapping to Scrapper and Scourge to finish it up because it just wasn't strong enough where it needed to be.

The traits not offering much to a DPS build didn't help either. I don't think that's too much of an issue by itself, but the build would feel better if it had some means to get more benefit out of auras like bursts of damage and conditions or improving shouts to function in the build instead of relying on slow casting elementals.

The simple ele rotation eludes me. I am not an Ele player so I can only speak as an outsider who wants to play as a Mono elementalist. A fire mage or Ice mage specifically is what I'm interested in. But ICE is taken over by healing which is a bit of a let down for me but that's a rant for another day.

21 hours ago, the krytan assassin.9235 said:

Tempest is designed to stay in a single elements for longer periods, makes no sense to force continuous rotation due to limited transcendent Tempest time.

to be fair though, the trait in question also reduces the time to overload after swapping to attunement down to 4s, which no longer has any use if you decide to camp that attunement after overloading

1 hour ago, Lily.1935 said:

The simple ele rotation eludes me.

i wouldve thought that a standard campfire condi sc/f fire 1-1-1/earth 2-1-2/spec x-x-x x/signet of fire/x/x/elite elemental setup would work for most scenarios, unlike the campfire power staff setup that im currently trialing which is… interesting to play. campfire condi just hits every dmg skill off cd, spamming aa otherwise, and mainly just has to look out for placing flamewalls that wont be wasted

the build falls under the umbrella of LI, at least relatively for ele, so you cant really expect it to pull amazing numbers but it should still be quite capable. maybe you just need to play it a bit more to get used to it? or maybe its a problem with the build?

10 hours ago, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

to be fair though, the trait in question also reduces the time to overload after swapping to attunement down to 4s, which no longer has any use if you decide to camp that attunement after overloading

i wouldve thought that a standard campfire condi sc/f fire 1-1-1/earth 2-1-2/spec x-x-x x/signet of fire/x/x/elite elemental setup would work for most scenarios, unlike the campfire power staff setup that im currently trialing which is… interesting to play. campfire condi just hits every dmg skill off cd, spamming aa otherwise, and mainly just has to look out for placing flamewalls that wont be wasted

the build falls under the umbrella of LI, at least relatively for ele, so you cant really expect it to pull amazing numbers but it should still be quite capable. maybe you just need to play it a bit more to get used to it? or maybe its a problem with the build?

I didn't expect amazing numbers, just decent numbers and it was far below average. It was lower than power reaper with the wrong traits which isn't a good sign.

• Haha 1