Feature request: in game voice chat

Rong.5470

Hey, not sure where to post feature request like this. I think GW2 would benefit from the in game voice chat. 
Most of the end game instanced content is quite hard and requires communication/explanation for newbies. Quite often people are asked to join a discord server just to join one party which is a bit crazy (personally I don’t want to join some random servers for every single group). I think that communication and players interaction should be a core of an mmo, so feature like in game voice chat would be a huuuge help.
What it solves: people are more likely to party up with randoms and lfg requirements are more noob friendly. If someone fails and is eager to learn, it’s easy to explain mechanics to them so it brings more interaction between players and maybe prevent some players from insta leave after party wipe. Player would have a choice to join voice channel from squad/party menu

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

There have been several threads before asking for it (you could have found that by searching the forums).

You are only seeing this from your own perspective, there are loads of us (as you can see from the other threads) that really dislike this idea. I would never join voice chat in the majority of groups that I'd join, considering how people can be. I've played other games with voice integration and more often than not it's a cesspit.

It's already so easy to go on voice, e.g. Discord, Teamspeak, Ventrilo (if it still exists?), and chat is so sufficient for the majority of the content in the game. The only content I would not want to do without voice right now is HT CM. I lead loads of training raids and I always type everything in chat if there's someone not on Discord - it's really not that bad, and people can look at it and refer back to it in the fight too (I like to end it with the most important parts in a concise form, so people can still see it).

There's also SO many communities for teaching end-game content, there's websites with AMAZING guides, and there already is the option to find a group of likeminded people and use voice for content.

You're not thinking of any of the bad ways voice integration would be used, people would flame and be toxic. And as a female, the number of times I've spoken in voice in other games only to be flamed/inappropriately spoken too is so kitten high. At least with Discord you can be more in control, there's usually always someone there (in the server) that can block/ban the person if that happens - I can't see Anet policing voice chat at all. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

There have been several threads before asking for it (you could have found that by searching the forums).

You are only seeing this from your own perspective, there are loads of us (as you can see from the other threads) that really dislike this idea. I would never join voice chat in the majority of groups that I'd join, considering how people can be. I've played other games with voice integration and more often than not it's a cesspit.

It's already so easy to go on voice, e.g. Discord, Teamspeak, Ventrilo (if it still exists?), and chat is so sufficient for the majority of the content in the game. The only content I would not want to do without voice right now is HT CM. I lead loads of training raids and I always type everything in chat if there's someone not on Discord - it's really not that bad, and people can look at it and refer back to it in the fight too (I like to end it with the most important parts in a concise form, so people can still see it).

There's also SO many communities for teaching end-game content, there's websites with AMAZING guides, and there already is the option to find a group of likeminded people and use voice for content.

You're not thinking of any of the bad ways voice integration would be used, people would flame and be toxic. And as a female, the number of times I've spoken in voice in other games only to be flamed/inappropriately spoken too is so kitten high. At least with Discord you can be more in control, there's usually always someone there (in the server) that can block/ban the person if that happens - I can't see Anet policing voice chat at all. 

Hm I could not find any posts like these, hence the new topic. I agree that it would not be obligatory to join the voice channel, also user could only join without active mic so it should be fine. 

It’s not easy to “go on voice”. Also just like I mentioned I don’t find it fun to retype manually random IDs from chat to join some unknown discord server which I probably leave after finishing the run 😕 (would be way easier to copy chat messages or launch links from game)

Also it’s not about tutorials, I know there are some but its about coop, some of the things can be only explained live. Tbh it’s way easier to just use in game solution to better coop with team. 

I think that discord even has some pretty interesting solutions for implementing in game per-party voice chat so it could be explored by ArenaNet: https://github.com/discord/sample-game-integration

26 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

"you're a girl?" doesn't get old I'm sure.

As for voice chat. No. there's a reason xbox live has a certain reputation, and voice chat is a big part of that.

Well, I really like in game voice chat, especially proximity chat as in some games it allows for more immersive experience 😄. I’m sure gw2 voice chat would have good rep since the community is nice. Also maybe you could ban/mute some offensive/toxic people. Maybe you don’t need such feature but I’m sure many would appreciate it.

Edited by Rong.5470
  • Confused 6

5 minutes ago, Rong.5470 said:

Hm I could not find any posts like these, hence the new topic. I agree that it would not be obligatory to join the voice channel, also user could only join without active mic so it should be fine. 

It’s not easy to “go on voice”. Also just like I mentioned I don’t find it fun to retype manually random IDs from chat to join some unknown discord server which I probably leave after finishing the run 😕 (would be way easier to copy chat messages or launch links from game)

Also it’s not about tutorials, I know there are some but its about coop, some of the things can be only explained live. Tbh it’s way easier to just use in game solution to better coop with team. 

I think that discord even has some pretty interesting solutions for implementing in game per-party voice chat so it could be explored by ArenaNet: https://github.com/discord/sample-game-integration

Well, I really like in game voice chat, especially proximity chat as in some games it allows for more immersive experience 😄. I’m sure gw2 voice chat would have good rep since the community is nice. Also maybe you could ban/mute some offensive/toxic people. Maybe you don’t need such feature but I’m sure many would appreciate it.

You can copy links from squad messages, and you can find discord links for communities/guilds usually from google, or reddit, or even the forums. Yes, typing links from chat is annoying - you can type it in your chat bar and copy paste from there to prevent tabbing in/out at least.

GW2 has a great community, even compared to other MMOs, but it's really cute that you think it would have a good rep for voice chat. There are toxic people all over the game, and they would come out in voice - I can't imagine having voice in any large squad would be a fun experience for anyone.

It would cost significant investment to implement (time + money) and I just can't see how anyone could say that's justifiable when there's just as easy alternatives to being on voice with others whilst playing, and considering there's pretty low demand for it - and how many people would even choose to use the in-game voice over discord, considering there are so many large communities already using it?

• Like 3

Given the massively popular use of existing tools like discord, teamspeak etc, I don't think it would be widely used or financially beneficial to introduce a new one for what would be a probably small number of people to use - or likely misuse. It also adds another layer of moderation which they would have to support if it was their own voice chat. That’s a big ask for a company always looking for ways to have support focus on more important things rather than parenting childish in game problems and keep ticket lead times down.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3

It could make team chats easier, but most people that want to talk probably already have discord.  So, it might be nice, but seems to be addressing a problem that does not exist. 

1 hour ago, kettering.6823 said:

I am really self-conscious and sensitive about my voice and so don't want even more reason for people to bother me about not joining voice comms. 😞

Just tell them you do not have a microphone. 😎

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No thanks, after 20 years of MMOs I've had enough of "girls don't play video games", followed by "you're a girl!" and "why is everyone in this voicechat girls?!". It gets even worse when boys try to turn it into a dating app and think they'll be allowed into a lesbian relationship for.. some reason.

If I want to talk it'll be over Mumble or Discord with my close friends and guild members who I can trust to keep things classy, constant R-18 jokes aside I mean.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

A lot of discussion on the social issues with this, so that's covered, but as mentioned in other threads on the subject (usually mentioned or agreed to by me, I admit), there's also technical problems.  As in, it seems unlikely that any company will make it work intuitively, reliably, and well unless doing so is their main focus (as in Discord).  Maybe I'm jaded after WoW's horrible attempt at it long years ago (Teamspeak was a lot better, and that's saying something).  But ANet can't just drop in two or three lines of code and call it done.  They are good at a lot of things, but probably not so good at making audio work between clients with wildly varying mics, speakers, drivers, and locations on the globe, plus maintaining and patching all that on top of everything else they have to work on.

I think it would be just nice to be able to join discord voice room with one click from the game and not waste few minutes for that and after the game to leave all of these servers you’ve joined.

So If discord is a preferred choice for gw2 players can we add some quality of life features to the game that allow people join preferred voice chats with one click please? At minimum, open links? 

• Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Rong.5470 said:

I think it would be just nice to be able to join discord voice room with one click from the game and not waste few minutes for that and after the game to leave all of these servers you’ve joined.

So If discord is a preferred choice for gw2 players can we add some quality of life features to the game that allow people join preferred voice chats with one click please? At minimum, open links? 

They aren’t going to add official support or links for a third party tool

• Like 1

Would not like this. I think it would take up resources and bandwidth - that you might not need ... when certain types of players that want this ... could just use 3rd party tools. Discord, teamspeak and stuff like that.

The only think I'd like to see is maybe some automated voice commands in PvP. Like ... where you press "v" for voice (or another button for example) and a menu pops up with "defend", "attack" and stuff like that - then sub menus ... where you could click to chose a preset automated voice line. Like it exists in some shooter games I think. For giving info quicker than typing in chat.

The WvW technically has the commander tag that offers ingame stuff like the markers - though that is not really used a lot in WvW. (Most people communicating in Discord I think - if they try to play on a more professional level. And it is just about running as zerg and fighting instead of splitting the team to move to different locations where the markres could help to assign subroups. In PvE this is used though.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

I'd rather see the bots situation figured out before unnecessary stuff like this.

For those opposed to any type of voice communication because they don't want to talk, tell your team you don't want to talk. Talking isn't typically a requirement, following instructions is, and not being able to listen really hamstrings a lot of people from getting things done. Not everyone, but a lot.

As for women here that complain about men's responses to them being on voice, I never had that issue, even when I was playing a primarily PvP game in the #2 ranked clan in the world. Most guys aren't immature jerks like some women make them out to be, especially in this game..

At the end of the day, the majority of people I know use Discord anyway. It's 2022 after all. I know, because I'm in dozens of channels for servers and guilds alike, for this game, and others. And even if we did have a voice option, I'd still use Discord.

• Confused 2

Would be good, if done properly, two options i can think of.

1. The most basic one so to speak, and the one that most people are probably thinking, you just press a button and you talk to people, anytime, anywhere, no way for others to control it or anything (maybe blocking would prevent chat voice, or having a mute button), worst option probably, would be very chaotic, people would troll a lot, etc.

2. This is the one i think could be implemented, voice talk would only be available when a squad is formed, (maybe groups too, but it's not that necessary), only the people inside the squad would hear it, but there would be a option that players could turn on that would allow then to hear the squad chat, as there would be a option for the squad leader to block people from outside the squad from hearing the chat.
Best option to prevent trolls, getting haressed? just leave the squad, turn the option to hear their chat off, and bamm, zero problems, the only way they could keep upseting you are in the ways people already use (whisper, mail, etc).