[Misleading] Free Special Mount Selection License [Merged]

Hey so I want to call out it is AWESOME that ANET is giving out a free mount license to players to celebrate the 10th anniversary. Great call!

What is not a great call...is the advertisement for it being used on social media. It appears there was a miscommunication as the post shows tons of mounts along with FREE and none of those mounts are in the voucher as they are 2k gem mounts. Literally all 4 shown mounts are unavailable. Super super misleading. It would be really cool to correct that as some of us saw that and got super excited only to find out it is entirely false.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

I agree, I’m stoked to get another mount skin from such a large range of choices. It’s okay that it doesn’t include premium mounts. It’s kinda silly that they would make this mistake and present something that isn’t accurate.

it’s like the team at Anet can’t catch a break and have something release with no issues; maybe they do it to themselves, maybe it’s a run of really bad luck. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

So the announcement for the free mount skin (see below) says log in and get "any pre-End of Dragons mount skin you want", but it's not true.

• It does not include any of the Premium Mount Skins (the ones that full price are 2000 Gems). This should be included in "any" expecially since those are the skins used in their announcement video.
  • It seems any account that doesn't own PoF can log in and NOT see the giveaway item. This is the first freebee I've seen where it doesn't even show in the gem store unless you have PoF on your account. (there are multiple reports of Heroic edition accounts and EoD-only accounts not being able to claim it)

What's going on Anet?

Edited by Snaid.9714
formatting
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to [Misleading] Free Special Mount Selection License [Merged]
6 minutes ago, Snaid.9714 said:

So the announcement for the free mount skin (see below) says log in and get "any pre-End of Dragons mount skin you want", but it's not true.

• It does not include any of the Premium Mount Skins (the ones that full price are 2000 Gems). This should be included in "any" expecially since those are the skins used in their announcement video.
  • It seems any account that doesn't own PoF can log in and NOT see the giveaway item. This is the first freebee I've seen where it doesn't even show in the gem store unless you have PoF on your account. (there are multiple reports of Heroic edition accounts and EoD-only accounts not being able to claim it)

What's going on Anet?

You can see it just have to poke at the trading post abit more and its greyed out + ask you to upgrade to path of fire before you can claim it.

Edit

Since making a picture is a pain go to promotions on your heroic or eod account scroll all the way down to about half the page and just after water dragon pauldrons you should see it.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Haha 1

Ws really looking forward to the free mount skin, but got disapointed the ones shown werent available. Seems you also cant get it unless you already have PoF/EoD 😞 Bit sad if you are saving up for it or have a raptor with HoT. No alternative for non-PoF/EoD accounts and not giftable.

Edited by Radiant.9417
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Since making a picture is a pain go to promotions on your heroic or eod account scroll all the way down to about half the page and just after water dragon pauldrons you should see it.

On an EoD-only account you get a message about Account Verification that has two green checkmarks that indicates that your account is verified, but you can't claim the voucher, because that feature requires PoF. You also can't buy any glider or mount skins since release of EoD, despite being able to use the unlock items if you acquire them for example via a Black Lion Chests.

Heroic Editions fail the Account Verification message and can't claim the voucher either, which is somewhat expected.

ANet doesn't value anyone who only buys EoD, because they want to upsell PoF.

I'd say that is a nice example for sleazy marketing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

"misleading" is here nothing cause we have a free giveaway and noone is mislead into a decision to buy the package and getting a negative surprise after sale.

still I agree that adverts should match the reality because if people see the adverts and redeem the free license still could be disappointed by not finding what the video shows.

and its not the first time anets adverts dont match the reality.  Still remember the fiasko around the charr throne which looked huge in the gemstore advert and ingame it looked in no way the same.

These things should be sorted out in the company asap.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, roederich.2716 said:

"misleading" is here nothing cause we have a free giveaway and noone is mislead into a decision to buy the package and getting a negative surprise after sale.

still I agree that adverts should match the reality because if people see the adverts and redeem the free license still could be disappointed by not finding what the video shows.

and its not the first time anets adverts dont match the reality.  Still remember the fiasko around the charr throne which looked huge in the gemstore advert and ingame it looked in no way the same.

These things should be sorted out in the company asap.

And, surprise surprise (well, actually no surprise there, i kind of expected it) they "fixed" it the same way they "fixed" the throne.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And, surprise surprise (well, actually no surprise there, i kind of expected it) they "fixed" it the same way they "fixed" the throne.

They made a mistake in the tweet and fixed it, but you guys are never satisfied, right? It would be far more complicated to change the gift in game when a lot of players already selected the mount skin. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Gibson.4036 said:

Clearly a mistake, not a lie. Terrible communication between departments, not intent to deceive.

I would say very clearly showing NOTHING but the premium skins in an ad screaming about free content is more than just bad communication, it’s utterly abhorrent. Like, I don’t want to complain about a free gift but man the level of misleading and lying through incompetence... how is it even possible that ad got made?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

10 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

I would say very clearly showing NOTHING but the premium skins in an ad screaming about free content is more than just bad communication, it’s utterly abhorrent. Like, I don’t want to complain about a free gift but man the level of misleading and lying through incompetence... how is it even possible that ad got made?

I'm not talking about bad communication between ANet and players, I'm talking about bad (colossally bad, clearly) communication between ArenaNet departments. The marketing people clearly got a very garbled message from leadership.

This is a pretty obvious place to apply Hanlon's Razor.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I'm not talking about bad communication between ANet and players, I'm talking about bad (colossally bad, clearly) communication between ArenaNet departments. The marketing people clearly got a very garbled message from leadership.

Never heard of Hanlon  I like that wisdom thoigh! That’s kind of what I was trying to say - they straight up lied to us but they didn’t mean to lie they were just wildly incompetent somehow. And I’m concerned that level of failure is possible 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Never heard of Hanlon  I like that wisdom thoigh! That’s kind of what I was trying to say - they straight up lied to us but they didn’t mean to lie they were just wildly incompetent somehow. And I’m concerned that level of failure is possible 

They didn't lie - lies are intentional.

They miscommunicated. Seriously, not the worst thing. We will all live.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Considering how consistent the marketing message was (the vid, the mention of all pre-EoD skins, and the number of skins mentioned - much, much bigger than what we've finally got), i'm quite sure that what they advertised was the original intention for the anniversary gift. And that then someone at the top made a last minute decision to pull all more pricey gemstore skins from that list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Considering how consistent the marketing message was (the vid, the mention of all pre-EoD skins, and the number of skins mentioned - much, much bigger than what we've finally got), i'm quite sure that what they advertised was the original intention for the anniversary gift. And that then someone at the top made a last minute decision to pull all more pricey gemstore skins from that list.

That was bad.

• Like 1

It's a nice gesture to give a free mount selection as part of celebrating the 10 anniversary. But it being free doesn't make the situation any better, as far as what they conveyed vs. the reality. Cause it suggests the same could happen in the future with a paid promotion. It also means what would have been remembered as a nice gesture is now going to be marred by misleading advertising. So... not great.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Fenom.9457 said:

You say you don't want to complain about a free gift, but you're calling this situation "utterly abhorrent"? 😂

I swear, some people here just want to victimize themselves no matter what. This mistake changes pretty much nothing for anyone when it comes to meaningful actions like spending money on anything in the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

It's a nice gesture to give a free mount selection as part of celebrating the 10 anniversary. But it being free doesn't make the situation any better, as far as what they conveyed vs. the reality. Cause it suggests the same could happen in the future with a paid promotion. It also means what would have been remembered as a nice gesture is now going to be marred by misleading advertising. So... not great.

Advertising for what? For a free giveaway you had to do nothing for and just got it by default anyways? What did you lose here due to that "false advertising"?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1