free mount license devalues previous investments

Before if you wanted to get clouded corvus and many other mounts from the original mount adoption license you had to buy 400 gems worth random roll of the original mount license that caused outrage. Anet said in a forum post back in 2017 that there wouldnt be a select type of license

and now they did just that. Am salty, all I wanted was clouded corvus and spent 28x400 gems to get it since there was no other way to get it and there was a forum post saying there wouldnt be a select type of license to get it so I whaled out. You're all welcome to laugh at me

• Like 1
  • Haha 19
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Rokeb.3815 said:

It's some pixels in a video game.  Despite what the NFT crowd will tell you, it's NOT an investment, it never was, and it never will be.

4 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Dude, gaming DLC is not an investment, and no one forced you to buy that mount skin or any other.

from the post I linked :

"...We won’t change the existing license in a way that would invalidate the investment players have made, but I want to confirm to you that our next planned mount skin releases will focus on individual sales..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I don't support gambling for a multitude of reasons. If no one bought such gambling items they wouldn't make them. It's never worth it unless donating money is your intention, which is fine then I guess? There are better ways to do that though since doing so encourages more gambling to be added. Regret is normal when you realize how much you spent on something that wasn't as valuable as you thought but it's entirely your fault.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I understand your frustration regarding this, I used 25 rolls to get the fire griffon, once 10x ticket, rest 1x. But personally Im happy for the people that want a skin from this set and can just mount select it and not having to go through the same gold burning agony I went through, good for them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I don't support gambling for a multitude of reasons. If no one bought such gambling items they wouldn't make them. It's never worth it unless donating money is your intention, which is fine then I guess? There are better ways to do that though since doing so encourages more gambling to be added. Regret is normal when you realize how much you spent on something that wasn't as valuable as you thought but it's entirely your fault.

I dont regret gambling for that skin. All im saying is that devs said there wouldnt be a select type of license for those skins and now there is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

We won’t change the existing license in a way that would invalidate the investment players have made, but I want to confirm to you that our next planned mount skin releases will focus on individual sales like the Reforged Warhound and bundles like the Spooky Mounts Pack. We will not add any skins to the currently available Adoption License, thus not pushing down the odds of acquiring any one skin in that set.

They never said anything about not making the skins available from other sources.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Grimmwalt.4590 said:

I dont regret gambling for that skin. All im saying is that devs said there wouldnt be a select type of license for those skins and now there is.

Things change all the time you should keep that in mind. Eventually they may realize it was a mistake or entirely different people take over and the one who makes such promises isn't even around anymore. Just like any other 'investment' in this world. It's a risk. So try to think things through more in future before dropping fat stacks. Vast majority of people who don't hardcore dive into gambling will enjoy this gift.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grimmwalt.4590 said:

"...We won’t change the existing license in a way that would invalidate the investment players have made, but I want to confirm to you that our next planned mount skin releases will focus on individual sales..."

And they haven't. They have given those players few years' headstart. Against the wishes of the community, i might add.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Well, I don't see a problem with them even if they did devalue them to sell more. I mean ... that happens all the time; clearance sales, etc ... these are assets Anet can use to generate revenue. Once they get old in the tooth, they SHOULD be considering opportunities to 'devalue the investments' or whatever you want to call it. It would be stupid to not continue to find value in old assets. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

44 minutes ago, Grimmwalt.4590 said:

Before if you wanted to get clouded corvus and many other mounts from the original mount adoption license you had to buy 400 gems worth random roll of the original mount license that caused outrage. Anet said in a forum post back in 2017 that there wouldnt be a select type of license

and now they did just that. Am salty, all I wanted was clouded corvus and spent 28x400 gems to get it since there was no other way to get it and there was a forum post saying there wouldnt be a select type of license to get it so I whaled out. You're all welcome to laugh at me

its been 5 years from that statement, i mean ok fair enought, you had to spend gems on that skin at that time, but now theyre giving you another skin to unlock for free, because you have spend years in the game, its a gift, just take it, tank anet, and think its some gems you dont have to spend in the future.

The point about investment in MO's post seems to be referring to not further diluting the potential pool thus making it harder to get the one you want from the random license. How is the free mount making it more difficult for you get the skin you want?

We won’t change the existing license in a way that would invalidate the investment players have made, but I want to confirm to you that our next planned mount skin releases will focus on individual sales like the Reforged Warhound and bundles like the Spooky Mounts Pack. We will not add any skins to the currently available Adoption License, thus not pushing down the odds of acquiring any one skin in that set.

I remember something like this came out when people who bought the original 60$ launch boxes of gw2 and the original sc2 wings of liberty campaigns when they went f2p. "What do we get for our investment?" And they answered the last 7 years of being able to fund it and play the game before anyone else. And new players to play with and a wider community. 

Personally I'm glad that they've added these, its nice to have at least one skin for a mount you use and while I rolled some rng boxes and got two roller beetle skins, a skimmer skin that's near identical to the base, and a near identical bunny skin, and stopped rolling. I can now finally have a Griffon skin without rng box rolling. Though I'd still have liked a living world sale and I'm barely logging in past 2-10 minutes a day  after ascended and dailies/weeklys just since I have nothing to do.

Might as well make gw2 a mount driving game tbh and at this point without a gear grind I'd be happy to mount grind just fun mounts to use like Wow if there's not epic gear shooting out the 3-8 drops a boss per 5-10 minutes like a raid boss or dungeon chest.

It's nice they're giving a once per 10 year freebie and I don't want this ruined. The gift was having it for several years before other people and getting to pick one more skin of your choice. 

• Like 1

I dunno... A commitment is a commitment. They didn't have to make the commitment, though they absolutely had to from the PR pov back then. But the moment they did make it, it was probably not cool to break the commitment ever, even though after so many years most players who were consoled by that commitment back then are not likely to still be hung up on it. That was quite a crazy amount of gems/gold after all.

Unless you are like the OP who really really really loved that corvus or some other specific mount. 

No, I didn't buy any of that original set.

P.s. I'm assuming from some earlier posts that there is now a select license for the original set, and not just the free 10yr anniversary single license. If it's the latter, ignore everything that I said. 

Edited by casualkenny.9817
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Grimmwalt.4590 said:

Should Anet contact you before discounting any prices in the gem store for your approval before they have a sale.  I mean it looks like you want to be in charge of GW2's gemstore so you can prevent any discount that might hurt your "investment".  Stuff goes on sale, it's a fact of life.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, casualkenny.9817 said:

They didn't have to make the commitment, though they absolutely had to from the PR pov back then.

You must be joking. It was the community that wanted an option to buy individual skins directly with no rng. The decision to not make a select license for the first mount skin set then was met with an overall disapproval.

• Confused 2