free mount license devalues previous investments

2 hours ago, Grimmwalt.4590 said:

Before if you wanted to get clouded corvus and many other mounts from the original mount adoption license you had to buy 400 gems worth random roll of the original mount license that caused outrage. Anet said in a forum post back in 2017 that there wouldnt be a select type of license

and now they did just that. Am salty, all I wanted was clouded corvus and spent 28x400 gems to get it since there was no other way to get it and there was a forum post saying there wouldnt be a select type of license to get it so I whaled out. You're all welcome to laugh at me

Did you read the ANet post you linked?

All they say is that they aren't going to add more mounts to the same lootbox, because you're supposed to have an increasing chance to get the one you want the more you buy. If they kept adding new ones, your chances of getting one particular one would never increase.

Nowhere in there does it say they'll never provide a different way to get the mounts originally in the lootbox.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, casualkenny.9817 said:

I dunno... A commitment is a commitment. They didn't have to make the commitment, though they absolutely had to from the PR pov back then. But the moment they did make it, it was probably not cool to break the commitment ever, even though after so many years most players who were consoled by that commitment back then are not likely to still be hung up on it. That was quite a crazy amount of gems/gold after all.

Unless you are like the OP who really really really loved that corvus or some other specific mount. 

No, I didn't buy any of that original set.

P.s. I'm assuming from some earlier posts that there is now a select license for the original set, and not just the free 10yr anniversary single license. If it's the latter, ignore everything that I said. 

Released on August 23rd, 2022  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mount_Select_License

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Over time things go on sale, become free as a loss leader, or otherwise have their value/cost change. This is not just applicable to GW2, not just to MMOs, not just to games, it applies to much, most even, of the consumer product field.

Especially in a world with exponential technology growth and things like planned obsolescence.

8 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

I swear to god some people will complain about anything. 

Basically this.  OP knew the OG lootbox was gambling and chose to 'whale out' on it. 

Not to mention they have precedent for doing this--things like the OG Mad King's Mad Memories back was only available Halloween 2012, then they later added other ways to get it.  

Since time is money, my Mad Memories was devalued too! 🙃

Haven't they had mount select licenses that cycle through for a while that allow you to get these, just at more cost than the RNG ones? Or am I mistaken about the breadth of what those have covered overall? Like the free one seems to be a combination of several already existing mount select licenses that I've seen show up before.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Haven't they had mount select licenses that cycle through for a while that allow you to get these, just at more cost than the RNG ones? Or am I mistaken about the breadth of what those have covered overall? Like the free one seems to be a combination of several already existing mount select licenses that I've seen show up before.

The free one includes the just-released (Aug. 23) Mount Select License: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mount_Select_License

The skins in that license were always only available through a form of RNG until this past week. 

34 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The free one includes the just-released (Aug. 23) Mount Select License: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mount_Select_License

The skins in that license were always only available through a form of RNG until this past week. 

Ah thanks for the confirmation. A bit disappointed.

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You must be joking. It was the community that wanted an option to buy individual skins directly with no rng. The decision to not make a select license for the first mount skin set then was met with an overall disapproval.

We were all there as it unfolded. The bulk of the community that wanted mount skins generally wanted select licenses and was quite annoyed at the initial marketing model. I personally felt that the original set was a complete ripoff in its original form (esp with 5 of the 30 behind 4channel versions of the base), and I would never have touched any of that even if I were rich, which I'm not. (I think I have bought 4x 5-packs from subsequent sets that I felt had a decent ratio of interesting skins, and around 2 select licenses.)

My point, however, was that the people who did spend on the original set's license (for whatever reason....) immediately after the launch of POF did so with the understanding that that was the only way to obtain them, and that was a lot of USD or gold, and it helped to ensure the longevity of the game in the eyes of anet's parent company.

Iirc, the compromise that anet reached back then (with lotsa feedback from the forum), was that  subsequent sets would be smaller and with select licenses as an option, and that the original set would not be modified. This arrangement for the original set should not be changed, because this involves trust between the vendor and the customer (those who supported the original set).

Some clarifications: if I were still actively playing, I would personally benefit from the availability of this select licence. Nonetheless, I might be doubtful of those buyers' sanity, but I do also believe that their interests should be protected based on the original circumstances. Even though there were a (pitiful) handful of skins from the original set that I liked, I can do without. It's all subjective, but I think the ratio of duds in the original set was really kitten.

• Confused 1

Prices, product delivery, etc change over time. I wonder how many people complaining that circumstances affecting product financials change would turn down a raise or bonus at work because they originally agreed to work for less. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:15 PM, Grimmwalt.4590 said:

Before if you wanted to get clouded corvus and many other mounts from the original mount adoption license you had to buy 400 gems worth random roll of the original mount license that caused outrage. Anet said in a forum post back in 2017 that there wouldnt be a select type of license

and now they did just that. Am salty, all I wanted was clouded corvus and spent 28x400 gems to get it since there was no other way to get it and there was a forum post saying there wouldnt be a select type of license to get it so I whaled out. You're all welcome to laugh at me

Dude anet said legendary armor would only be obtainable from raids, but when people whinned they went back on their words. So yeah and lies big supprise.

• Confused 3

On 8/30/2022 at 6:15 PM, Grimmwalt.4590 said:

Whale got beached.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Understandable some ppl got disappointed. But it’s been 5 years. Things change. Anet chose to create a new select license for these mounts and for newer players that’s a good thing.

It’s not like you wasted the gems on the random ones as you did get a new skin every time you used them. If you felt it was worth the gems back then (since you chose to whale it), I assume you have enjoyed your skin before the change. The change doesn’t devalue the skin as no one will know or care how much you spent to get it. For all they know you may have gotten it first try. 

sometimes change hurts but it may be necessary and useful in the long run. 

• Thanks 1