I Try to Re-arrange My Grandmother's Kitchen Without Telling Her. Reworking Professions and Elite Specializations as Assigned Roles

WarTactics.6725

I've had some intriguing concepts about Guild Wars 2 Professions and Elite Specs for some time. My perception is that most elite specs are geared towards producing the most damage per second without too much concern for support and tanker builds. Im prepared to be wrong on that. Armor Categories worn by Soldier Profession: Heavy, Adventurers: Medium, and Scholars: Light for example is the same across all elite specs under one profession. Guardians have an elite specialization called Firebrand, given the nickname 'Healbrand' by many in the community for its aptitude in providing heals and boons. Some more veteran players may ask why isn't it possible to play as Monks from Guild Wars. Monks were in a way essential to a party in Guild Wars as a healbot. Can we have true Guild Wars Monks in Guild Wars 2? Allow me to jump on the hamster wheel.

Guardian

Elite Spec: Monk, is consistent Guardians as they smite their enemies, support their allies and have an unshakable faith.

Armor: Light Armor, Monks are very much spellcasters. Which would put them in the Scholar category.

Ideal Weapons: Scepter, Focus, Staff, Core Guardians already have these weapons available to them. May need to make one weapon exclusive to the Monk Elite Spec.

Party Role: Support. Between Tanker, Support and DPS. Monk certainly trends toward being a Support role elite spec that provides boons and heals.

Between removing Firebrand and adding Monk. Guardian can support a Scholar/Light Armor/Support role. What about the other Guardian Elite Specializations?

Dragonhunter has Guardian overlapping with the Ranger to enable use of the longbow and traps. Lets assign new armor and a party role.

Elite Spec: Dragonhunter, Is consistent with Rangers using the Longbow and Traps.

Armor: Medium Armor, again Dragonhunters are consistent with Rangers. Adventurer category armor.

Ideal Weapons: Longbow, nothing changes.

Party Role: Damage Per Second. Produce and output as much damage as possible.

Now that we have two party roles satisfied with Monks (Light Armor/Support) and Dragonhunter (Medium Armor/DPS), Willbender is the final Elite Specialization and there is one party role left to satisfy... Tanker. Won't have to change much. 

Elite Spec: Willbender

Armor: Heavy Armor

Ideal Weapons: Swords

Party Role: Tanker

To finalize things we have:

Core Guardian

Monk as Support wearing light armor

Dragonhunter as damage per second wearing medium armor

Willbender as tanker wearing heavy armor.

Can similar alterations be possible for other elite specializations so that most most professions can have elite specializations that satisfy Tanker, Support, DPS roles.

Would all three Warrior specs wear heavy armor?

Could Thieves be Tankers?

Possible to have Elementalist tanker elite spec with heavy armor throwing around a big hammer...

Could there be an obscure 4th party role called Mastermind? That would include pets... maybe im getting too far ahead of myself with Guild Wars Necromancer Minion Master and Ritualist Spirit Spammer.

Time for Mac and Cheese,

Thanks,

WarTactics.

Edited by WarTactics.6725
  • Confused 8

Not a fan of 1 class having access to multiple armour type, especially if I invested into ascended/legendary armour for that character.

What if tomorrow I want to play Scrapper but tough luck, Scrapper is now locked behind heavy armour and I have to move all the stuff from my Warrior to my Engineer just to play 1 spec. 

This adds unecessary trouble and unecessary waste of bag space

Edited by Alcatraznc.3869
  • Like 4

7k AP and you still think that the armor type make a significative difference in GW2?

Unfortunately, like Alcatraznc well  said, forcing different gear type on each e-spec would be horrible QoL wise. And, honestly, this game need more QoL than it need RP cosmetic. (Also, if you really want to wear light armor as a guardian just take a light armor looking outfit, it should be enough to fulfill your fantasy)

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Like 2

To pick up the headache from my previous post, Guardian Elite Specs were able to satisfy my creative juices by assigning Toolkits and Armor Weights. Lets recap

Guardian:

Dragonhunter:

Toolkit: Damage Per Second

Armor Weight: Medium (Adventurer)

Monk:

Toolkit: Support

Armor Weight: Light (Scholar)

Willbender: 

Toolkit: Tanker

Armor Weight: Heavy (Soldier)

Now lets see if we can satisfy Necromancer and other professions with the same exercise.

Necromancer:

Reaper:  

Toolkit: DPS (or Tanker)

Armor Weight: Light (Heavy)

As a rule, Tankers are justified to heavy armor. That being said it might be too strong for Reapers to have high hit points for being necro + the shroud midpoints + heavy armor. Reapers in Guild Wars 2 are certainly maximum damage output driven. GW2 Reapers may be like D&D Barbarians, wielding great swords, high damage, high hitpoints, light armor. I personally love the Reaper its one of my favorite elite specs. Good chancer there not need to change anything.

Scourge:

Toolkit: Support

Armor Weight: Light (Scholar)

Scourge is certainly a scholar class that corrupts boons from enemies and heals. Straight forward.

New Necromancer Elite Specialization (Replacing Harbringer):

Toolkit: DPS

Armor Weight: Medium (Adventurer)

I'll be honest I don't think I've ever played Harbringer. Pistol as a necromancer weapon just doesn't satisfy my creative juices. Harbringer's remind me of Pathfinder RPG Alchemists with having Elixir utility skills. It's worth arguing that an off-hand axe weapon to enable dual wield axes is likely more fun than a pistol. Duel wield axes plus utility skills inspired by Thief for an interesting class crossover (As Dragonhunter does for Guardian and Ranger) is more intriguing to me than the initial first impression of a Harbringer.

Thank you for allowing me to share my headache with the rest of the Guild Wars 2 community. Happy Adventures!

Edited by WarTactics.6725
  • Confused 2

• WarTactics.6725 changed the title to I Try to Re-arrange My Grandmother's Kitchen Without Telling Her. Reworking Professions and Elite Specializations as Assigned Roles

Conclusion: Allow access to all three amour weights (Light, Medium, Heavy) to all nine professions.

This solution would be much preferred over forcing armor weights for every profession and elite spec.

Perhaps there will be statistical benefits from changing armor to suite a build's playstyle.

Some examples may come as follows:

Catalyst (Elementalist): Tanker tool kit with a hammer and heavy armor

Druids (Rangers): Support tool kit with light armor

Firebrand (Guardian): Support tool kit with light armor. Reminiscent of Guild Wars Monks.

Happy gaming,

WarTactics

• Confused 2

What you're suggesting with the armor system doesn't work out at all with armor in its current state. If you were to allow all classes to choose whatever armor, then you'd just have everyone in heavy armor all of the time, since it's basically free stats. And even if you were to utilize the suggested system of "Support/Tanker/DPS" based on armor styles, you're neglecting to think about what the classes themselves have to offer. Take, for example, Warrior. It has the highest health and armor of any class in the game. However, I would argue that it has the lowest EHP of a lot of the classes, considering it needs to be in melee constantly, and relies on gimmicks to keep its sustain up, and has almost zero aegis and protection uptime. But then you have Necromancer. A light armor class, with a high HP pool, and a class feature that gives it a second health bar entirely, one that can always be refilling when not in use. Or Elementalist, with the lowest HP and armor in the game, but with so many different utilities in its kit that a properly played elementalist is very difficult to kill, even more-so than a Warrior.

There are certainly ways to fix things up and tweak things around, but the struggle for non-legendary gear acquisition is already rough as-is for anyone lacking legendaries and not running end-game all the time, and adding onto that struggle by forcing different weights per eSPEC would only force people to pick one eSPEC to run around with on a single character unless they really want to go all-in and farm out multiple sets.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:43 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

7k AP and you still think that the armor type make a significative difference in GW2?

Unfortunately, like Alcatraznc well  said, forcing different gear type on each e-spec would be horrible QoL wise. And, honestly, this game need more QoL than it need RP cosmetic. (Also, if you really want to wear light armor as a guardian just take a light armor looking outfit, it should be enough to fulfill your fantasy)

This. I did the calculation at one point, and the difference between heavy and light armour worked out to be about 10% of your stats. The real determinant of who's tanky and who isn't is hit points, sustain, and investment in defensive stats. Sure, all else being equal heavy armour makes you more durable than light, but only a little.

The mechanical difference just isn't worth the QoL hassle, especially this deep into the game. If a spec needs lower armour rating for whatever reason, that could be done as a downside in the minor traits.

Will I be the only one that misread "kitchen" as something else?

Anyway, I dont quite understand the premise of the thread. I thought all the new elites specifically had "support traits" as Anet seem to try to make everything up, everything middle or everything down a little more uniform.

Edited by Dawdler.8521