The 72-hour gem wait & Ultimate edition

snakeboy.3062

Some customer feedback here.

I bought the Ultimate Edition specifically because I wanted to buy stuff from the store. Instead of happy anticipation I got annoyance and anxiety of not knowing when the gems will arrive and if the items I want to buy will still be in the shop. 

Not the experience I want to have when I spend 80 bucks on the Ultimate edition.

Please communicate in a straightforward way that gems bought with the Ultimate Edition will only arrive after 3 days. 

I have bought gems before and they were delivered instantly. That is my expectation, it’s a digital product. 

I know there’s a disclaimer that says “up to 72 hours” but it is a) easily overlooked and b) misleading because it is not actually 0-72 hours - it is more like 72 hours period (this is what seems to be the case for many,  as I googled the topic). 

I do understand the reason to protect against fraud, but then please communicate clearly and straightforward so I can make an informed decision.

Edited by snakeboy.3062
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

While I get the frustration, there is a big:

* Gem delivery may take up to 72 hours after purchase.

- https://buy.guildwars2.com/en-us/collection?tab=2

right below the Add to Cart button.

I know. But I honestly read that as sort of a formal disclaimer, in the rare exception something goes wrong. Like I said, I bought gems before and they were delivered instantly. It's what I expect. "May take up to" leaves a lot of room. Many companies use that phrasing. 

They are not in the wrong, I just think they can communicate better if they want to. There's quite a few topics about this from frustrated customers, and it can be easily avoided with a clear message. I've read that had I bought the gems separately, it would have been different. That's annoying. Be clear about that. 

• Confused 6

4 hours ago, snakeboy.3062 said:

Some customer feedback here.

I bought the Ultimate Edition specifically because I wanted to buy stuff from the store. Instead of happy anticipation I got annoyance and anxiety of not knowing when the gems will arrive and if the items I want to buy will still be in the shop. 

Not the experience I want to have when I spend 80 bucks on the Ultimate edition.

Please communicate in a straightforward way that gems bought with the Ultimate Edition will only arrive after 3 days. 

I have bought gems before and they were delivered instantly. That is my expectation, it’s a digital product. 

I know there’s a disclaimer that says “up to 72 hours” but it is a) easily overlooked and b) misleading because it is not actually 0-72 hours - it is more like 72 hours period (this is what seems to be the case for many,  as I googled the topic). 

I do understand the reason to protect against fraud, but then please communicate clearly and straightforward so I can make an informed decision.

I also am newer and got the ultimate edition! And I did also get a bit stressed waiting on things to appear! I ended up going to bed and waking up the next morning and all my things were there 🙂 So was a nice morning for me. It's the first game I ever forked out so much money in one go *sweat* but I wanted the gems to buy the living world seasons and it was the most cost effective way to do so. 

Your things might come early, I was a bit shocked at the wait time since I never had that in another game but I have not had another wait like that since when I bought gems after. I guess for something so expensive and as a first time buyer (in my case) they wanna be sure it is not fraud. 

I can understand you didn't really take the 72 hours thing seriously since in most cases that doesn't really happen from my exp, so it can be anxiety inducing waiting! You worry if it worked or not etc. All I can say is just try and distract yourself playing the game or even another game till things appear ^^ 

Happy times ahead once they appear \o/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't know how much  more clear the statement could be.  "...up to 72 hours..."  What should the statement say? 

If you would rather have instant Gem delivery, always purchase Gems at full price, rather than at the 50% discount offered in the Ultimate Edition. 

This would actually be useful information:: 

“If you would rather have instant Gem delivery, always purchase Gems at full price, rather than at the 50% discount offered in the Ultimate Edition”. 

I don’t distinguish between gems bought normally, and gems bought through an expansion. Had I known such difference, I would have had the info and perhaps made a different decision. 

Edited by snakeboy.3062
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

34 minutes ago, Aelin.9317 said:

I also am newer and got the ultimate edition! And I did also get a bit stressed waiting on things to appear! I ended up going to bed and waking up the next morning and all my things were there 🙂 So was a nice morning for me. It's the first game I ever forked out so much money in one go *sweat* but I wanted the gems to buy the living world seasons and it was the most cost effective way to do so. 

Your things might come early, I was a bit shocked at the wait time since I never had that in another game but I have not had another wait like that since when I bought gems after. I guess for something so expensive and as a first time buyer (in my case) they wanna be sure it is not fraud. 

I can understand you didn't really take the 72 hours thing seriously since in most cases that doesn't really happen from my exp, so it can be anxiety inducing waiting! You worry if it worked or not etc. All I can say is just try and distract yourself playing the game or even another game till things appear ^^ 

Happy times ahead once they appear \o/

Thank you for your kind response. I am glad you can relate, and understand that what I am saying is about genuine customer experience and quite normal customer expectations.  

In any case, the gems arrived today, 3 days after. All good, on with playing.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

A company selling instantly deliverable digital goods, but withholding those goods despite accepting payment immediately is engaging in a questionable practice. "We have accepted, and perhaps even spent, your money but you cannot have the goods you paid for, and which we have right here, and could hand over immediately-but choose not to, until we feel like it."

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

But, we inform you we will be holding said goods for the time indicated.  Your choice to agree, or not purchase. 

The only aspect of the situation that prevents this from being absolutely reprehensible rather than merely unethical.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The only aspect of the situation that prevents this from being absolutely reprehensible rather than merely unethical.

If they didn't put a hold on it, they absolutely would get gold sellers collecting the gems, converting them to gold, then cancelling the purchase, or possibly purchasing with stolen credit cards.  If I recall correctly, this was exactly what was going on before they instituted the delay.  They alert purchasers as to the delay, but must take steps against theft and fraud committed by buyers who are not making legit accounts.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Donari.5237 said:

If they didn't put a hold on it, they absolutely would get gold sellers collecting the gems, converting them to gold, then cancelling the purchase, or possibly purchasing with stolen credit cards.  If I recall correctly, this was exactly what was going on before they instituted the delay.  They alert purchasers as to the delay, but must take steps against theft and fraud committed by buyers who are not making legit accounts.

A lot of merchants, not just digital, face the possibility of credit card fraud without taking immediate payment from their customers while asking the customer, who has already paid, to wait to get their merchandise. I wouldn't be happy to  pay for my groceries only to be told I can come back and pick them up three days later either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You feel the company does not have the right to protect themselves from fraud?

That was their official reason for the delay, but that only applies to new accounts and the new account restrictions could have had the same effect. Delaying it doesn't protect against fraud for existing paid accounts that could have bought gems instantly. The only reason to delay it is to allow a safe refund period before the gems can be used, which was probably common back then.