Reaper In WvW?

SleepyBat.9034

For zerging and even small scale I prefer reaper to scourge, although my strips are slightly lower I'm often top stripper anyway. Scourge feels too static, with reaper you can both pressure from range and then leap in to burst, but you should always have available something like CTTB or shroud3 for stab/interrupt before spin-to-win, and then know when you can keep cleaving and or just leap away with shroud2 or speed runes+SoS or just wurm away if too many immobs.

I understand reaper is still too clunky for squad fights and many zergs will ask for scourges for obvious reasons. Plus you won't receive most of the healing from your party while in shroud. But I like it anyway.

Roaming is Harb, core or nothing.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:41 PM, SleepyBat.9034 said:

Is it just me or does Reaper not work in WvW anymore, you have no survivability, even with shroud because builds do so much damage. And you have no blocks or invulns. Mobility is quite poor and practically requires Speed Runes if you want a chance at all.

Reaper's survivability took a serious blow when Weakening Shroud "bugged" a couple of months back. Although at this point I'm pretty sure it was a stealth nerf to harbinger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esufer.8762 said:

Reaper's survivability took a serious blow when Weakening Shroud "bugged" a couple of months back. Although at this point I'm pretty sure it was a stealth nerf to harbinger.

That would be super strange if they did that and didn't change the tooltip. Another thing I recently noticed is Reaper only has two sources of fury? 1 in spite with Dread and the other in Curses.

8 minutes ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

That would be super strange if they did that and didn't change the tooltip. Another thing I recently noticed is Reaper only has two sources of fury? 1 in spite with Dread and the other in Curses.

Yeah, it's strange, I'm maybe assuming the worst but we're just rounding out week 9 of it being broken? as someone that used to exclusively solo roam on curses/blood/reaper, it basically killed my desire to roam on reaper, with a good source of the sustain just gone. As you say, i don't want to play without Curses because it's a good source of fury, but it's not as if i have another GM I could take in that line.

So i just learnt revenant instead.

• Like 1

In zergs, I had the most success with this. Lots of Corrupts, super tanky, lots of damage. Actually feels quite useful if you know when/where to use your Corrupts because you can also capitalize on it by going deep in the push. 

Honestly I hate how good Cele is on so many things, but Reaper was by far and long my favorite thing to use it with. Super fun to zerg surf frontline with and a pretty solid roamer too. 

(Empty trait slots are up to you. I prefer Decimate Defenses + Unyielding Blast because it makes Shroud autos with Dhuumfire really nasty.)

8 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

In zergs, I had the most success with this. Lots of Corrupts, super tanky, lots of damage. Actually feels quite useful if you know when/where to use your Corrupts because you can also capitalize on it by going deep in the push. 

Honestly I hate how good Cele is on so many things, but Reaper was by far and long my favorite thing to use it with. Super fun to zerg surf frontline with and a pretty solid roamer too. 

(Empty trait slots are up to you. I prefer Decimate Defenses + Unyielding Blast because it makes Shroud autos with Dhuumfire really nasty.)

Seems like a mess to me. Maybe not a mess, but a "good at nothing"- build.

You are basically wasting a lot of stats.

Healing power stat: wasted because you have nothing other than your healing skill that scales with healing power

concentration: wasted: you don't have many boons you give yourself, and the majority of the boons should be given to you by other professions.

Condition damage: is ok-ish, if you corrupt alot (which you actually don't), else you aren't doing a lot of conditions with that build.

Expertise: not a lot of condition sources with that build, wasted imo.

Why not play good old cele reaper from hot era? Could maybe swap axe/focus for GS.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSABsid3lJwQYNsFWJOuL8tSA-z1IY1on/UaUIkpEobFQNjAfOL0PtBA-w

Sure this build won't be doing anything without support, but neither does your build except surviving a bit longer, because higher health pool.

That being said: cele isn't great. If you play against zergs with proper setup or guilds, cele Necro is pretty much useless in my opinion.

Conditions will be cleansed immediately and your power dmg isn't good either, because you don't specialize in it.

Edited by Nimon.7840

11 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

Seems like a mess to me. Maybe not a mess, but a "good at nothing"- build.

You are basically wasting a lot of stats.

Healing power stat: wasted because you have nothing other than your healing skill that scales with healing power

concentration: wasted: you don't have many boons you give yourself, and the majority of the boons should be given to you by other professions.

Condition damage: is ok-ish, if you corrupt alot (which you actually don't), else you aren't doing a lot of conditions with that build.

Expertise: not a lot of condition sources with that build, wasted imo.

Why not play good old cele reaper from hot era? Could maybe swap axe/focus for GS.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSABsid3lJwQYNsFWJOuL8tSA-z1IY1on/UaUIkpEobFQNjAfOL0PtBA-w

Sure this build won't be doing anything without support, but neither does your build except surviving a bit longer, because higher health pool.

That being said: cele isn't great. If you play against zergs with proper setup or guilds, cele Necro is pretty much useless in my opinion.

Conditions will be cleansed immediately and your power dmg isn't good either, because you don't specialize in it.

It isn't built for organized zerging - I realize I didn't state this, but it's for pugging. And when it comes to pugs, as long as you're doing damage and staying alive you're being useful.

The reason I like this build for pug zergs or roaming/small scale is because it's extremely durable and versatile. It has high enough hybrid damage to deal with high Toughness or high cleanse builds, and it has a ton of Corrupts for bombing. 

I agree that some of the stats are going to waste, but a Grieving, Sinister, Carrion, or some other kind of stat/mix isn't going to be as durable as Cele, and it's going to have a lot less Condition Duration and Boon Duration - if any. Boon Duration is actually pretty useful for Reaper too because you can get a lot of Protection, Stability, Might, and Quickness. 

By no means is the build top tier, but I can attest to the damage and durability having played a lot of it and a lot of Necromancer in general. At the very least the Corrupts and cleave are useful where most Power Reapers are just dying in the push.

Edited by Shroud.2307

The main reason I left WvW. I'll give the game until November's patch but what I've seen over the last 5 years is that It's Anet's game they balance only the classes they want to be meta, and only how they envision their elite specs should be played despite what the customer input is. That's one hell of a mantra when you're trying to keep consumers playing and buying your product. As someone who only enjoys Reaper I don't have my hopes up and don't expect they'll change.

Edited by Vlad Morbius.1759
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Vlad Morbius.1759 said:

The main reason I left WvW. I'll give the game until November's patch but what I've seen over the last 5 years is that It's Anet's game they balance only the classes they want to be meta, and only how they envision their elite specs should be played despite what the customer input is. That's one hell of a mantra when you're trying to keep consumers playing and buying your product. As someone who only enjoys Reaper I don't have my hopes up and don't expect they'll change.

Consumers are like sheeps they will play anything that Anet buffs to carry, look at the perma boon gameplay  with very very poor counters, zerglings love it and they keep playing against small populated servers, cause they have players numbers advantage and perma boons while enemy cant counter that.

Meanwhile reaper still a better warrior than any warrior spec.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:41 PM, SleepyBat.9034 said:

Is it just me or does Reaper not work in WvW anymore, you have no survivability, even with shroud because builds do so much damage. And you have no blocks or invulns. Mobility is quite poor and practically requires Speed Runes if you want a chance at all.

The "in WvW" part in the thread title doesn't add anything...

You could truncate the title into "Reaper?" and make your thread about reapers overall in all gamemodes 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devas.8104 said:

The "in WvW" part in the thread title doesn't add anything...

You could truncate the title into "Reaper?" and make your thread about reapers overall in all gamemodes 😁

I could but it wouldn't be very effective because I only play Reaper in WvW. I'm not going to write about something I don't know anything about, that would be stupid.

• Like 2