New player questions

EQVS.4083

I just bought the heart of thorns and path of fire expansion (before hand I was at level 30, I mostly bought it for the mount), after accidently salvaging my main weapon I decided on using the level 80 booster. I currently play guardian and am going for Valluns celestial fire brand build, but am confused as I can't find the gear he's talking about on the trading post. I know there is a ton of stuff to do in the game but I don't know what exactly I can do at my stage in progression. sorry if this is supper obvious, I'm new so I don't really understand how the game works yet.

What gear should I go for, and how do i obtain it? and what quests or bosses should I be trying to do?

26 minutes ago, EQVS.4083 said:

I just bought the heart of thorns and path of fire expansion (before hand I was at level 30, I mostly bought it for the mount), after accidently salvaging my main weapon I decided on using the level 80 booster. I currently play guardian and am going for Valluns celestial fire brand build, but am confused as I can't find the gear he's talking about on the trading post. I know there is a ton of stuff to do in the game but I don't know what exactly I can do at my stage in progression. sorry if this is supper obvious, I'm new so I don't really understand how the game works yet.

What gear should I go for, and how do i obtain it? and what quests or bosses should I be trying to do?

It is very likely because all gear is Ascended on that site and those you have to craft yourself as it is account bound.

Replace gear with exotic instead as it can be sold on Trade Post. Use filter on BLTP to only see Celestial attribute.

EDIT - do as above poster suggest

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 1

Yeah, if you use the booster, most likely your gear is already celestial and all you lack would be weapon. Celestial gears are expensive so I don't think buying them off tp is a good idea. Try dire weapons instead. Or carrion. Or rabid.

edit- some tips for stat selectable weapons: festival reward chests. Halloween is coming soon. Maybe not so soon since Four Wind just ended not long ago. Anyways, do the festivity dailies every day and every five days you get one chest. The chest that you can pick your weapon of choice, and your stat. Though this is not always the case like Lunar New Year chests, the weapons are fixed in diviner stats.

Edited by Raffrey.5271
some tips

If you're not sure what to do in early stage, just running around doing nothing/ anything/ everything is cool as heck. Like, enjoy the sceneries, challenge the jumping puzzles, helping some npc in trouble etc. If you're having fun you can keep at it. Or go where your personal story takes you.

If you're short of money you can farm some in silverwaste, yes the place you got teleported to when you used your booster. Basically "tag" as many events as possible and earn all these map currencies (forgot the name, some crests?). Buy chest keys with the currencies and follow the group to open the chests after the meta event is done. Find group in LFG under central tyria and join your RIBA squad, and then right-click anyone and join their instance if many people are grey when you join. Most of the time people are very friendly so if you don't know anything, just ask. "Sell-everything-on-tp" makes a bit less money but can be less overwhelming before you get familiar with the system. But don't grind it too hard and burn yourself out.

Btw I see that you're going to play a firebrand. Grinding core tyria hero points for elite specializations can be very boring so I recommend you to keep an eye on the LFG under HoT Verdant Brink or PoF Crystal Oasis for groups doing hero point runs. ***edit- forgot to add: make sure you have teleport to friend in hand for this.

Edited by Raffrey.5271
  • Like 2

Since you have used the booster you will have all the equipment on his video except: runes/sigils and weapons (armor and trinkets are almost the same but exotic orange, instead of ascended pink that you will need to craft).

So first i recommend replacing the runes and taking the fireworks that he mentioned or a cheaper alternative but almost as good if not better, traveler runes.

Take in mind that his build is more focused on group content. If you are new you will struggle alone on hard content (as an example on Heart of throns maps).  Firebrand has been nerfed alot since the video he posted.

To a newcomer i would suggest to start with something like the guardian core condition build posted on mettabatle, that is dirty cheap deals alot of damage it has a proper healing skill and easy to play.

Edited by Ruisenior.6342

As a new player don't worry about min/maxing a build right away. Do the trait suggestions and use the boosted gear and just take it for a spin. Half the battle is learning the skills and abilities you got. I found this especially tricky with firebrand or other such builds which had multiple weapon swaps (the librams).

Another fun thing is achievements. Every specialization has a collection that reward an ascended weapon. With Firebrand it will be completing events, bounties and craft gear from the Crystal Desert areas. Start casually chipping away at those, some will take longer than others but some of the steps also reward gear pieces with the end reward being a really good Axe (Expurgation). All these collections by the way are locked until you unlock a specialization. Remember that for your other classes you play. 

With that in mind I'd say go do bounties and events in PoF. It will slowly lead you to a great weapon and let you practice your spec in the open world. Do some world bosses around the core area too, great fights and again good practice. Also follow your achievements. The Dailies you can do give 2 gold for doing 3 of the 5 they offer as well as expansion specific ones for more rewards. These rotate every day, as the name implies, and can be a nice source of steady gold and materials. From there as you get comfortable try a dungeon, a fractal (similar to dungeons but not in the open world), or even a strike (10-man raid boss style fights). Don't be afraid of trying, you won't learn otherwise.

Look for a guild or a discord community so you can ask questions and get advice from people. You got your build from Vallun, who is great, I also suggest Mukluk and Mightyteapot, Woodenpotatoes for streamers/guides and they have active and fun communities.

P.s. Just to add do you understand Masteries? It's a system that replaces your experience at 80. Each expansion has it's own Mastery Points earned by story, achievements, and even just found in the world. As you level you can build a mastery, say Raptor up. Once at max XP you purchase that perk or whatever it is with your Mastery Points. However with the Raptor you can only earn experience in the POF areas and only use their (Red) mastery points. But if you ever don't have enough points, you can always select another perk to earn experience for until you get the points you need so you don't waste xp. Some things to earn with mastery: Core gives you aoe loot perks and opens up legendary crafting. Hearth of Thorns improves your glider, lets you learn how to use mushrooms for bouncing or buffs. Path of Fire is all about those mounts. The last mastery in each mount tree actually effects all mounts! Icebrood Saga has some addition mount utility. End of Dragons has fishing, skiffs and even the new turtle.

Edited by RavensSorrow.6128
additional info on masteries