YES you CAN link your ANET account to Steam. And it's really easy.

Don't worry too much about the feedback. Spreading the news, that it is possible to start GW2 (even if both accounts are not linked) via Steam, is useful information to everyone who didn't know yet.

But of course people are biased (take me for example: at the bottom of my heart Steam still feels like the rotten little spyware I was forced to install to play Half Life 2, lol) and will post according feedback. * shrug * @radumitrescu.3821

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, radumitrescu.3821 said:

What's most surprising, however, is how a lot of people seemed pissed off with the Steam launch, and with me for this "useless advice". It's like it's taking something from them, diminishing their experience somehow... Boggles the mind.

People will always find a way to criticize and/or hate just about everything regardless of how good or well-intentioned anything is.

Give free dessert -oh, you're just promoting unhealthy lifestyle and obesity. Give free money to some in a poor area - oh, they'll just use it for drugs. Try to improve something, like balancing the game - oh, you're just nerfing my class coz Anet Devs are clueless and don't play the game. It just go on and on.

Don't let it bother you (too much).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Not sure how giving Valve 30% of revenue supports both, but...ok. 

Also, some people are bound to have bought the game simply due to the Steam release alone, people that perhaps might not have otherwise, and that means more money for ANET.

70% of a purchase is still 100% more money than no purchase.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you.

Edited by radumitrescu.3821
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I dunno bud I think alot of people are pissed off because they view this steam launch as a colossal waste of resources in the wake of an ex pack that has left a lot of questions with few answers. It's a 10 year old game. There aren't that many people that only play steam and steam alone titles. Had they wanted to play gw2 I'm pretty sure they would have tried years ago it's not like Anet doesn't give out free heroic keys left and right.

Now that's just how I interpret the anger some feel and frankly I feel they are alittle over the top because I don't see any harm in trying to rope a few through steam. No one will ever be happy 100% 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

People will always find a way to criticize and/or hate just about everything regardless of how good or well-intentioned anything is.

Give free dessert -oh, you're just promoting unhealthy lifestyle and obesity. Give free money to some in a poor area - oh, they'll just use it for drugs. Try to improve something, like balancing the game - oh, you're just nerfing my class coz Anet Devs are clueless and don't play the game. It just go on and on.

Don't let it bother you (too much).

Not having a lie for the title would have helped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/6/2022 at 9:16 PM, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

No you CANNOT link your guild wars 2 account to your Steam account. You can open guild wars 2 IN Steam however. Stop spreading misinformation.

Exactly!

And there is an easier way of doing that rather than using a launch option argument and having to redownload the game to the Steam folder. 😂 You can simply:

• Go to the menu --> Games --> Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library --> browse to your GW2 game folder and select the game's executable --> done

Then you will launch your existing game from its current location via Steam and will have access to the Steam Overlay. And that's all there is to it. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Not having a lie for the title would have helped.

Was it an intentional lie? Was OP really trying to pass false informations that he/she knows are untrue? What would be the motivations? Or was OP just misinformed or assumed something that's not exactly correct?

Instead of correcting  OP, if he's mistaken, a few chose to attack instead. Seen it so often on this and other forums. I still stand by my comments above:

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

Was it an intentional lie? Was OP really trying to pass false informations that he/she knows are untrue? What would be the motivations? Or was OP just misinformed or assumed something that's not exactly correct?

Instead of correcting  OP, if he's mistaken, a few chose to attack instead. Seen it so often on this and other forums. I still stand by my comments above:

I too believe that the topic was created to help not to lie. People, pleasseeee.

• Like 3

I must be missing something... What's the difference between what I proposed and ACTUALLY LINKING accounts?

How is this not the same thing? This is an honest question, because as far as I'm concerned, for all intents and purposes, and as far as I understand it's the same...

Edited by radumitrescu.3821
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, gateless gate.8406 said:

Let me dispel the apparent confusion: When Valve and Anet both receive percentages of a purchase, both are receiving monetary support.

Not if the account in question was only supporting ArenaNet alone, before.

Your post indicated reasons why ArenaNet accounts would want to launch through Steam, and said one of the reasons was to support Valve/Steam.  So, now, purchases through Steam would give Valve some 'support', but less 'support' , of those purchases, to ArenaNet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, radumitrescu.3821 said:

What's the difference between what I proposed and ACTUALLY LINKING accounts?

You're not "linking" your account to Steam, you're simply using Steam to launch a game. If you could actually link them, Steam would be aware of your GW2 account and they would be capable of interacting with each other. Linking also generally means converting your account to Steam.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Not if the account in question was only supporting ArenaNet alone, before.

Your post indicated reasons why ArenaNet accounts would want to launch through Steam, and said one of the reasons was to support Valve/Steam.  So, now, purchases through Steam would give Valve some 'support', but less 'support' , of those purchases, to ArenaNet. 

So, given that I and others in this thread said Steam purchases support both (not support the same as pre-Steam; simply support) let's lay out your apparent logic when you say "Not if the account in question was only supporting ArenaNet alone, before":

If you have a previously non-Steam GW2 account that you then (hypothetically, as it can't be done) transfer to Steam, the 70-80% financial support to Anet is -- through a mysterious transmutation -- either A) no longer money or B) being intercepted by a mysterious force before it arrives in Anet's accounts.

I think it's obvious that you're not willing to use language honestly and aren't interested in having a good faith discussion, instead wanting to have an Internet Argument™. I'll leave you to it, and won't respond to you further.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, gateless gate.8406 said:

So, given that I and others in this thread said Steam purchases support both (not support the same as pre-Steam; simply support) let's lay out your apparent logic when you say "Not if the account in question was only supporting ArenaNet alone, before":

If you have a previously non-Steam GW2 account that you then (hypothetically, as it can't be done) transfer to Steam, the 70-80% financial support to Anet is -- through a mysterious transmutation -- either A) no longer money or B) being intercepted by a mysterious force before it arrives in Anet's accounts.

I think it's obvious that you're not willing to use language honestly and aren't interested in having a good faith discussion, instead wanting to have an Internet Argument™. I'll leave you to it, and won't respond to you further.

Sure it is still money but it is less money and every company want all the money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, gateless gate.8406 said:

The point that you're continually and willfully ignoring is that any purchase made by an account created through the ArenaNet website will 100% support ArenaNet right now. If they allowed an account to switch they would be willfully accepting a lower cut from that account's purchases for no benefit. That player was already playing and buying things before steam, they were presumably going to continue playing and buying after steam. They would be providing less financial support to the game while giving no extra utility if they somehow could switch to steam. 70% may still be "supporting" the game, but it would be giving less to Anet now than before and you cannot deny that.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

A lie requires the intent to deceive. 
If you are misinformed, and are spreading that misinformation, then you are simply mistaken. 

If you are misinformed, and someone fails to convince you of the truth, you are still simply mistaken.  You can only be lying if the evidence presented actually convinces you, but you continue to spread misinformation. 
If you are unconvinced then you simply perpetuate a mistaken belief.
Intent is essential when determining whether a statement is a lie or an honest mistake.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I don't understand the infatuation with Steam and wanting to give them a 30% cut of developer money on top of welcoming a very toxic community to Guild Wars 2.  Don't believe me?  I dare you to go check out the GW2 forums on steam lol.   The biggest argument for it being on Steam that I've noticed is, so people can show off their number of hours of how long they've played a game for, like that is some sort of life goal achievement, and for those who can't seem to get a credit card and still go to corner stores to by game cards to put Steam bucks onto their accounts so they can purchase games.

I get it's nice to have all your games in one place but I already do that by installing my games on separate drives that's only for games keeping my windows files separate.  I also am capable of organizing and creating genre folders that my games are installed to which keeps everything neat and tidy.   Heck, you can then make a shortcut for those folders on your task bar that allows you quick access to launching them.

Edited by Balgorath.2604
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 9/8/2022 at 2:21 PM, Healix.5819 said:

You're not "linking" your account to Steam, you're simply using Steam to launch a game. If you could actually link them, Steam would be aware of your GW2 account and they would be capable of interacting with each other. Linking also generally means converting your account to Steam.

Exactly.

And there is an easier way of doing it (i.e., to put a shortcut of GW2 in your Steam Library) than the complicated method suggested here. Just use the menu function ("Games" --> "Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library") that Steam itself offers to place shortcuts of any games you want in your Steam Library in order to launch a game from Steam and be able to use the Steam Overlay in-game.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

Exactly.

And there is an easier to do it (i.e., to put a shortcut of GW2 in your Steam Library) than the complicated method suggested here. Just use the menu function that Steam itself offers to place shortcuts of any game you like in your Steam Library in order to launch a game from Steam and be able to use the Steam Overlay in-game.

It doesn't track time played when doing it that way which is one of the main gripes 

On 9/6/2022 at 7:25 PM, gateless gate.8406 said:

1. Easy Linux support

2. Playtime tracking

3. Keeping games in one place

4. Easy in-game chatting with Steam friends

5. Using SteamDeck for portable play

6. Wanting to support Steam

7. Wanting to support consumer choice

8. Achievement tracking/displaying

I'm sure there are a few more reasons, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Btw, I can confirm that using the -portal Provider workaround DOES allow Steam's Linux play for non-Steam GW2 accounts.

except for the linux support, none of them are actual good reasons.

you can keep all your games on one place on your desktop, no need for steam.

you can literally chat in-game, if you also need to chat on steam you're not playing the game so go and find a chatroom.

supporting a DRM platform is the WORST reason, do you have any idea why ppl rather want games with GoG?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 9/7/2022 at 5:58 AM, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

You're not sure how giving Valve 30% and Anet 70% split of the revenue supports both?

They may be not sure how giving Anet 30% less than they'd give otherwise should be considered supporting them.

Although that does apply only to the steam version, not to the "linked to steam but not really steam" one this thread is about.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to come by and tell OP thanks for this tip. 

Surprised to see people so angry at you for a simple work around so folks can log in with their ArenaNet accounts while using the steam client. Seems to me like a lot of the hate from the longstanding player base comes from other "mistakes" made and they are lashing out at folks supporting a free to play release to a platform they don't enjoy. 

Personally, I use steam to keep my games up to date for me as well as a system that myself and my friends use to keep up with what games we are playing at the time. I would not have played Guild Wars 2 again had it not been for the steam release. I had completely forgotten about the game. Also, I don't see a good reason why I shouldn't be able to launch the game however I want. That's kind of the standard these days. I don't understand why my choice of launcher dictates which account I can log in with. The wall is arbitrary and I am glad to have the workaround for it. If I end up enjoying the game enough again to buy an expansion; Being forced to do so via the ArenaNet site is a work around I am willing to go through for launching through Steam. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1