Svanir Shaman Chief world boss needs some tuning

Zappax.4685

Just finished hammering at the boss for 10 minutes straight. I have a raid dps build and we had about a full squad of people, that are veterans, and a few low level hanging around.

The boss is just way too tanky, while posing no challenge at all. The new moves are nice, but the damage can be pretty much ignored. I've been standing in overlapping ice storms casually ressing some other guy, who died afking in them.

The damage really needs some increase, to actually challenge and teach new people, as well as not making high level players afk on it. A lower hp pool would make the fight an actual fight instead of a chore as well.

Fire Elemental for example, is great on all accounts. Sure that takes 10 minutes of hammering as well with that hp pool, but due to the damage and other hazards it's actually engaging.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Blude.6812 said:

In a nutshell,  the boss changes are turning them into damage sponges and making them move around more, regardless of some graphic enhancements. The easy way  for programmers to make the fight last longer.

Yeah, damage sponge design is like the boss equivalent of adding copy/paste busywork to a game to inflate the number of "content" hours. Better a shorter boss that is interesting than a long one that is dull.

• Like 1

The only time I think that damage sponge bosses are good is if they have a really interesting unique mechanic that you want the players to deal with multiple times without spamming it rapid fire. You want it to be spread out over time so that players have time to recover between instances of the mechanic, and perhaps even have time to develop strategies to overcome the mechanic....

But world bosses arent really the place for this in my opinion. I get wanting them to survive long enough for players to get to them before they die, but dont make them tedious in the process.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The only time I think that damage sponge bosses are good is if they have a really interesting unique mechanic that you want the players to deal with multiple times without spamming it rapid fire. You want it to be spread out over time so that players have time to recover between instances of the mechanic, and perhaps even have time to develop strategies to overcome the mechanic....

But world bosses arent really the place for this in my opinion. I get wanting them to survive long enough for players to get to them before they die, but dont make them tedious in the process.

I can agree with that and I think the new version of great jungle wurm isn't that far off from what you describe, without being too tediously long. Well... the mechanic isn't that interesting, IMO, but it's to do with breakbars so pretty important to teach newer players and it goes 1, then 2, then 3 adds who need one broken, IIRC, throughout the fight at different percentages.

• Like 3

I was surprised at how much longer he takes to kill now.

I think his health needs to be brought down by quite a bit, just not to the paper level it was before. The event could be spiced up in another way. It shouldn't be overly complicated for a starter zone boss, but maybe even just something as basic as: "at 75%, 50%, and 25%  you have to attack the Ice Elemental instead" or something.

Edited by Jokubas.4265
  • Like 1