Mesmer has been out of the meta for nearly 3 years now.

Pickles.3675

Mesmer's been terrible since February 2020. It'll be 3 years in 5 months. I feel like so many players have started playing the game that wanted to try Mesmer, realized it was terrible, and quit in that time period. I think every class should have a chance at being meta sometime. I realize Mesmer has been oppressive in the past, but it really feels like Anet is just like, "You want to play mesmer in PvP? Try a different game." Not only has Mesmer been not meta, but its just straight bad now. The best Mesmer spec in PvP is virtuoso, and that spec doesn't really provide anything for a team. The other Mesmer specs just feel very under-tuned to play. I think if Anet is that scared to buff Mesmer, maybe they should do some reworks? Like rework infinite horizon, and bring back mirages second dodge or something... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

It needs something, that’s for sure. 

I don’t know if I’d consider Virtuoso the best PvP spec. It’s definitely one of the better specs for dueling, but the problem is it can’t side node because of the existence of bladesworn, cata, spec so it’s almost kinda forced into being a roamer. But I would consider Powerblock Mirage and even  power chrono to be better in that role. 

Something needs to be done though cause it is most definitely in the shitter. 

• Like 3

That's because, like every class in the game, Mesmer lacks a concrete role.  The only problem it has these others don't is that Mesmer came from a relatively niche and unique design foundation as a theatrical blue mage from GW1.  Anet threw that out for GW2 and then never focused on the only remaining elements of genuine gameplay that partially defined a role for Mesmer:  clone misdirection and Portal.   Portal got nerfed instead of being integrated into the baseline profession, and clones were ignored so badly that the newest meme drops them entirely lmao.

If this isn't changed, you're just asking for a purple rev or something boring like that.  To that end, Mesmer might as well remain where it is.  Otherwise it's no better than the rest of the trash.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

some dumb rant which shows the absolute inability to understand even the most glaring weaknesses about ANYTHING in a PvP environment

This guy here is the reason why mesmer should never be meta. These ugly things are everywhere on the forum, in the game, they reproduce and infest the whole place.

The mesmer he's talking about has the lowest cleanse in the game after oneshot soulbeast, all you need to do (even if you're not running a condi build) is just to land any single control condition which the mesmer will be unable to cleanse. Land chilled\crippled\immob once, and the mesmer is a light-armored, no prot, no barrier, no resustain, no block immobile golem (remember, there's no swiftness\resistance to mitigate the movement speed reduction) which still needs to come melee to attack; land weakness\blind and the mesmer will not deal any damage; land slow, and the mesmer will never be able to hit with gs2 which is all it was about.

I repeat for clarity, there is one cleanse on torch 4 (1 condition every 30s) and cleansing sigils should you take them, and that is it. Weaken the mesmer for 5 seconds, the mesmer is weakened for 5 seconds. There are no shortcuts.

But Eddbopkins? He doesn't know that, why should he? He doesn't need to, spreading nonsense on the forum works better than actually understanding what a class is sacrificing to achieve anything. Mesmer out of the meta is a good thing for everyone, both for theese guys' own good and for my sanity which significantly improved when people stopped posting these dumb takes all over the place.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Mes was the only class that could check any other class given the skill cap. It really was the jack of all trades but anet said nah after mirage.

Taking away an evade meant giving up a substantial amount of not only survivability but dmg in the form of ambush attacks. This gave mes tons of pressure against big hitters like holo's, fb's, and sticky theives.

Now if you miss your ambush combo with the endless amount of invluns,  it's a scramble to recover without a fair amount of vigor uptime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Pickles.3675 said:

Mesmer's been terrible since February 2020. It'll be 3 years in 5 months. I feel like so many players have started playing the game that wanted to try Mesmer, realized it was terrible, and quit in that time period. I think every class should have a chance at being meta sometime. I realize Mesmer has been oppressive in the past, but it really feels like Anet is just like, "You want to play mesmer in PvP? Try a different game." Not only has Mesmer been not meta, but its just straight bad now. The best Mesmer spec in PvP is virtuoso, and that spec doesn't really provide anything for a team. The other Mesmer specs just feel very under-tuned to play. I think if Anet is that scared to buff Mesmer, maybe they should do some reworks? Like rework infinite horizon, and bring back mirages second dodge or something... 

Things could be worse. You could be a Warrior, for example

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

30 minutes ago, Nova.4608 said:

Oh yes, these poor bladesworns... 

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Mesmer doesn't need to be in "the meta" to be very effective against many players (which it currently is).

"The meta" doesn't mean much in the current sPvP environment.

Effective against unskilled ppl, no wonder forum peeps hate mesmers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Mesmer doesn't need to be in "the meta" to be very effective against many players (which it currently is).

"The meta" doesn't mean much in the current sPvP environment.

It’s effective against many players because many players are bad. That’s why. 

33 minutes ago, Nova.4608 said:

It could be worse by having one of the most broken builds currently?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I am sure that Bladesworns overperforming due to bugs removing counterplay is a perfect counter-argument to a whole class being in the shitter for as long as 2015 outside the first couple months of an expansion where Especs are purposefully overtuned so Anet can sell their product. 

Not to mention there's barely any good Bladesworn because the vast majority are random fotm rerollers thinking they're going to ride it high.

Unlike Warriors, Mesmers have multiple builds that are viable for all brackets, aswell as having an arguably S tier spec for dueling with Virtuoso. Especially once Bladesworn gets fixed and nerfed, which is going to be soon.

@op You can easily get to plat 2-3 with any mesmer spec outside of core.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

virtuoso is so gimmick and cheese to play

they need to bring back old portal so people could do some sick portal plays with power mes.

mes is effective in ranked that's what some other people claim in this thread, which is true.

as it is a play maker class, that can hard carry.

while warrior is basically tank bot even meta, and has little carry potential,

any top rating warrior you see are basically duoq with another thief/rev w/e play maker class that does the main carry, warrior can never get high rating alone in ranked and stay.

mesmer has the tools to make hard carry plays in ranked, if skills allowed.

and yea but mes suck hard in competitive, because you can not make as much plays as the skill gap isnt there. while thief/rev are more consistent

while warrior, it can never be meta without the bugs while being less effective in ranked where you need to hard carry to progress.

both jobs sucks anyway and need help.

i want old portal power mes back

i'm not surprised too, mes is the only play maker class that i enjoy to play and fights because it needs set ups and it's damage is actually react-able.

unlike thief steal and rev..

but that's also the reason why mes is bad and thief and rev is good, because their play maker ability are consistence even when the skill gap isnt there.

mes and war are my favorite classes

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Nova.4608 said:

Unlike Warriors, Mesmers have multiple builds that are viable for all brackets

Not true. Mesmer is in an arguably slightly better position as warrior overall, but it's still weak. 

aswell as having an arguably S tier spec for dueling with Virtuoso

Yes but duels don't define the meta. Virt may be extremely good at dueling but it's slow, so it can't get to duels on sidenode or leave them fast enough to be of any use.  It doesnt even have a presence on metabattle. Also be careful that you don't attribute to virtuoso what people are attributing to Bladesworn,, namely using its abilities as a shield for explaining mesmer is fine. When's the last time you saw a chrono or core that wasn't a diehard? 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Mesmer main reporting, sir 💗

While I may not understand the intricacies, I do understand the sentiment. Don't do this though. If there's something wrong don't shut up about it, otherwise it'll stay that way and people will -still- find excuses when someone gets tweaked enough to blow them up on chrono down the line.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Eloid.4569 said:

Bring old portal back, and give us something to remove some condition without the sacrifice and entire  trait line. Maybe a rework on ether feast, like "remove 1 condition and 1 extra condition per clone. I don't kwon."

Or if mantra resolve did something other than just cleanse it could be useful. Stealth, stun break, something?

Virtuoso and Chrono having no built in condi cleanse blows.

• Like 1