New PC Game Crashing

They were outdated before but my last 3-4 posts were after having them up to date. It reduce the crashing by a lot.

Dragonstorm meta will ALWAYS crash it. 3 times today a few mins ago. I enter a 4th time and stay behind, by not looking at the fighting it did not crash. I think my only crash outside dragonstorm lately was during Mad King Says, Got 2. I was able to do Labyrinth candy corn train with no issue and a few Mordremoth Dragon-Stand metas with no issues.

My next experiment might be running my gaming computer in potato mode during Dragonstorm to see if it crashes. No idea if it would help to find the issue.

Forgot to save the error text last time but Im sure I will be able to get a new error message soon, and I will copy that one.

I got the new PC to play GW2, this is so infuriating. >.>

3 hours ago, Runecrest.8940 said:

I got the new PC to play GW2, this is so infuriating. >.>

Just out of curiosity, is your GPU using a vertical mount/using a PCIE riser?  Setting BIOS to PCIE 4 while using a PCIE 3 riser is a leading cause of crashes for vertically mounted GPUs.

Edited by Samfisher.7942
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 11:39 PM, Runecrest.8940 said:

Not using any add-on

Ok, well. I dont know if this will help but i was getting BSOD while playing. ALOT. And it happened recently. I thought that it was due to a windows update. However, my issue just happened to occur right after an update and i believe it to be coincidental.  When my game would start to lag really REALLY bad (right before a crash) I would alt+cntl+dlt and look at my system load.  One of my drives was spiked at 100% It was a hard drive that i dont even have any information on. Literally nothing was on that drive. I removed that drive from my PC and bing bang boom problem solved. I guess that the hard drive took a dump on me, at the same time a update was rolled out.  Everything else was sitting pretty as it should. It was just that one drive. Im not that tech savy when it comes to the inner workings of PC's and it doesnt make sense that a drive that had nothing on it was affecting my PC. But it was.

On 10/24/2022 at 3:36 PM, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

Ok, well. I dont know if this will help but i was getting BSOD while playing. ALOT. And it happened recently. I thought that it was due to a windows update. However, my issue just happened to occur right after an update and i believe it to be coincidental.  When my game would start to lag really REALLY bad (right before a crash) I would alt+cntl+dlt and look at my system load.  One of my drives was spiked at 100% It was a hard drive that i dont even have any information on. Literally nothing was on that drive. I removed that drive from my PC and bing bang boom problem solved. I guess that the hard drive took a dump on me, at the same time a update was rolled out.  Everything else was sitting pretty as it should. It was just that one drive. Im not that tech savy when it comes to the inner workings of PC's and it doesnt make sense that a drive that had nothing on it was affecting my PC. But it was.

I'd just like to thank this post for helping me solve my issue with a memory management blue screen, my old hard disk (which is failing) was still set to the pagefile for my ram, after switching it over to my newer faster more reliable ssd I no longer recieve a bsod

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KazuKat.7458 said:

I'd just like to thank this post for helping me solve my issue with a memory management blue screen, my old hard disk (which is failing) was still set to the pagefile for my ram, after switching it over to my newer faster more reliable ssd I no longer recieve a bsod

Thats awesome! Glad i could help with my post. I was pulling my hair out for a while trying to figure out my issue.

When you get crashes/BSOD and random restarts. It often has to do with memory. I'd say check with een program like memtest86. I used to work in a computershop. I build my own pc so I know what components go in it. I generally have no faith in prebuilt brand pc's like HP, Dell, Compaq(if that still exists)  and the likes. To me it sounds like faulty memory, either form pc itself or videocard. However if it's only the GW2 game, then you might want to check settings. My friend has some crashes sometimes, but he has the same pc as I do except he has a better mainboard and faster AMD processor. Do you have an  AMD videocard or Nvidia one? I hate to say it, I see less problems with Nvidia cards when playing GW2. I only have a certain glitch but I fixed it, so no problems for me. Never mind I can soort of see in the text link you gave you have a gtx 3080 and 1 TB NVME. Check if you have windows pagefile on(might be disabled which altough you have enough memory, windows still needs it on)

Edited by Senshi.8493
forgot something

On 9/7/2022 at 7:38 PM, Runecrest.8940 said:

Had this issue for some time now. Started playing the game in a new stronger PC and I am getting random crashing. Last one was the worst. Colors turned in a shade of red and complete freeze. 1st time I had to force shut down the new PC. i would like to know if anyone else is having this issue since I have no idea what could be causing it. I am using the New windows, maybe that? or the graphic card? Once GW2 told me that was an issue but it mostly just crash so I dont know it it was an issue just THAT time. A few times it went in the same shade of red and restarted the PC. I was thinking it was a random computer update but now Im not so sure. last 2 were during dragonstorm, one after the other. Crashedm joined a different instance and crashed again almost at the same stage of the fight. (After second break bar)

If you're still having this issue and haven't fully resolved it, try downclocking your video card (5-10%), even if it's a factory overclock. I had this exact same issue years ago, same freezing with a colored screen and audio loop, requiring a hard reboot. I fought with it for a LONG time and went through all the same debugging steps with temperature monitoring and load testing various pieces of hardware, and even brought it in to the shop for service and bench testing...twice, since it was still under warranty. Nothing was ever found other than some bad memory, which was replaced. GW2 seems to be "sensitive" to overclocked hardware and there used to be an old posting from Arenanet somewhere on the forum that says as much. Downclocking, not only improved, but completely resolved the crashing issues for me. If it crashed it was because I forgot to do the downclock. I used a program called nVidia Inspector to do it. Not sure if it's been updated or works on newer cards, but any software that lets you adjust the GPU clock would be fine. Really, can't hurt to try.

Edited by Leamas.5803

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 12:24 PM, Leamas.5803 said:

If you're still having this issue and haven't fully resolved it, try downclocking your video card (5-10%), even if it's a factory overclock. I had this exact same issue years ago, same freezing with a colored screen and audio loop, requiring a hard reboot. I fought with it for a LONG time and went through all the same debugging steps with temperature monitoring and load testing various pieces of hardware, and even brought it in to the shop for service and bench testing...twice, since it was still under warranty. Nothing was ever found other than some bad memory, which was replaced. GW2 seems to be "sensitive" to overclocked hardware and there used to be an old posting from Arenanet somewhere on the forum that says as much. Downclocking, not only improved, but completely resolved the crashing issues for me. If it crashed it was because I forgot to do the downclock. I used a program called nVidia Inspector to do it. Not sure if it's been updated or works on newer cards, but any software that lets you adjust the GPU clock would be fine. Really, can't hurt to try.

Back after some time. Still able to replicate the crash consistently at Dragonstorm. I will bbe trying this fix next. ty

ok, discoloration of the graphics is almost NEVER a software issue.

The data the gpu is working with is scrambled.

Now it could be: 

- your power supply is garbage/not powerful enough. Just because something is a gaming brand, does not make it a good PSU. beQuit makes good ones.

- your ram is garbage.  Again, most 'gaming ram' is pure garbage. Try lower the ram speeds. Does it help? (For AM4 ryzen owners: ECC makes life so much better...)

- your graphics ram is defective. This is hard to catch. The only way is to replace the card with some spare and see if the problem is still there.

- your gpu is overheating

- your cpu is overheating.

But one thing for sure: discoloration instead of a 'normal' crash is highly suggestive of hardware problems. Since most prebuilt 'gaming' pcs are not worth their money but instead cobbled together crapfests - I am more than inclined to point at that. 

From my experience: if it is not heat, it is most often the psu follwed by ram. 

You could try stresstesting your ram (and have a look at your voltages while doing so). Compiling something BIG like chromium on all cores should do the trick. If it survives a compilation loop for a day, it is not the ram (and probably not the PSU. If you are lucky and your psu is crap, it will burn out through it). 

Some people mentioned memtest. I had funny results with this software in the past. Compiling works better to catch ram problems...

About my experience: I have been building my own PCs since 1998 and troubleshoot PCs from friends, family, coworkers for almost as long. I have seen some stupid kitten in those almost 25 years. Really stupid. Really, really stupid. From big brands (looking at you enermax, coolermaster and Asus especially you Asus). 

Edited by VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.

At the moment I am only having a normal crashing of the game offering to send report to ANet. No more Sreeen weird colors etc. easily replicable every single time while doing dragonstorm. "Maybe because of number of players and stuff hapening etc?" Havenyt been able to complete a single dragonstorn in 7-10 attemps since the issue started, The multi step fix help stabilize the game a lot.

I am having the regular crashing with the option to send report and already did this:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/121062-game-wont-start-keeps-exiting-without-prompting/#comment-1751005

I also deleted and re-installed the entire game and ran the game repair fix. What should I try next? Might be time to start replacing pieces bit by bit on this brand new computer. T_T

Ty for the help and patience.

Edited by Runecrest.8940
spelling