Quick Update on the Skills and Balance Team

Josh Davis.7865

I dont want to come as toxic or anything but im  mostly curious what happened to solar? Is he still in the company, is he still in the balance team? (For what its worth i wouldnt want to see him gone but i think a resuffling or roles was necessary. I hope hes still in the balance team however as i thought some things he has said and done were good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 16
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Are we going to see CMC unleashed or will we have 300s cooldowns for another 2 years? It's been stated in the past that the PVP/WVW skills and traits were beholden to PVE balance.

Please deliver on the promises for the trait reworks.

Did you read?

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

Did you read?

They stated that the 300s traits were being reworked at the inception of the Feb 2020  balance changes. I'll believe it when I see it. It's similar to the WVW alliances bamboozle.

Edit: and I'm not overreacting, see the following

Spoiler

Edited by Infusion.7149
context
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

Please take a serious look into vindicator pve, right now its a troll pick and is pretty much useless in sustain/boons/cc and hammer as a ranged is a broken mess.  Let alone most if not all of revenant skills are pretty useless with sky rocketing energy costs each nerf.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

Gratz on Cmc, but what I'm really most interested in is on reading the upcoming updated balance philosophy post.

One thing that I hope the balance & skill team starts to give higher priority to than what they have given in the past is complexity budget. Something that companies like Riot and others highly value, while Anet kind of seemed not, exceptions aside. By complexity budget, I mean that developers should be more careful about how much complexity they're willing to continuously inject into any build or profession before it becomes "too much".

The elementalist is the best example of a class that suffers from no consideration for complexity. As one of the more complicated and keyboard-intensive classes at launch, Anet's buffs and expansions have carelessly injected more and more complexity into it, or more and more keys to press, with the addition of ammunition mechanics or follow-up skills to a lot of already existing abilities, and chained AAs and additional mechanics from elite specs on top of everything they already have, without sacrificing much elsewhere. From Weaver's highly convoluted dual-attuning to Catalyst's bloated orb+F5 mechanics, sometimes it feels like Anet's entire plan about this class can be summed to this: "how do we make the most complicated class in this game even more complicated?"

As a former elementalist main, who absolutely loved their straightforward, direct, simple-but-flexible playstyle in GW1, GW2's ele at launch was the absolute limit of complexity I was willing to tolerate as someone who would otherwise prefer relaxed and simple-to-play nuking spellcasters, and even then it was already making for a very unsatisfying profession, where players had to work harder to achieve the same result as other classes did with less effort. As things only became progressively worse since then, instead of better, I eventually abandoned it. And, for a while, I was hoping that they would get a streamlining update, probably as a result of a large core overhaul, like mesmers have gotten, or, if nothing else, a streamlined elite spec, in the same way engineers got with mechanist or mesmers with mirage and virtuoso.

With the change on leadership, however, I have no idea what to expect on this matter.

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1

Congrats! I hope the balance team could eventually get around to revisiting the spec trade offs that got introduced years back in some classes as a response to their overperformance at the time. Trade offs feel to me more like a band aid and the design philosophy was later abandoned completely which is evident in EoD specs. But the ones that got the "trade offs" are still left in the dust. Some core utilities could also use some updating/reworking.

Edited by Ferris.1508
  • Like 8