Quick Update on the Skills and Balance Team

Josh Davis.7865

1 hour ago, thorrand.6548 said:

Then don't play it? The fact it's played so much is a decent indicator they did something right. Before I had a viable alternative I would putter around between all of the professions and decide what I had the reaction time to play that day. Now on my bad days I still have something I can pick up and play and not be a hindrance to group content. It got me confident enough to dip my hand into fractals and soon would like to try strikes. Calling for nerfs to that instead of suggesting buffs other professions need is not good for people like me. It really makes me feel unwelcome in the community.  

It is so powerful that if you buff all other specs too that level, I think guild wars 2 would die. 

Nothing against low intensity builds, as long as they are not too powerful.

l belive the most powerful builds should be the hardest ones to play. 

Edited by Sansar.1302
Bad spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, thorrand.6548 said:

Then don't play it? The fact it's played so much is a decent indicator they did something right. Before I had a viable alternative I would putter around between all of the professions and decide what I had the reaction time to play that day. Now on my bad days I still have something I can pick up and play and not be a hindrance to group content. It got me confident enough to dip my hand into fractals and soon would like to try strikes. Calling for nerfs to that instead of suggesting buffs other professions need is not good for people like me. It really makes me feel unwelcome in the community.  

Lmao no it's not an indictator that they did something right, in world what is it? It's an indicator that they messed up so spectacularly that for the majority of players, there is no reason to play anything else because Mech does it better for less. Performance output for required input matters, this isn't subjective or up for debate. Not only does it matter for balance itself, but also for encounter and enemy design as a whole, which then keeps leaking into other areas of the game on top of that, having extremely widespread implications.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Karagee.6830 said:

yeah I wonder what happened to that balance philosophy write-down they promised. They said they had one, they just needed to formalise it. In the last 3 posts from @Josh Davis.7865 there has been no mention of this and when we can expect it.

I think even the more hardcore defenders of Anet dev team at this point have to admit there was no balance philosophy in any form or shape and they now have to think and come up with one.

I see it as they acknowledge that there has been no overall philosophy and its been based on the individual hired at the time rather than the company as a whole.

I think Josh has received the memo (ie the wrath of the playerbase) and understood that it is important that balance is really a necessity - and has been putting together the infrastructure internally to support it. These things do take time.

Edited by pallas.8150
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, pallas.8150 said:

I see it as they acknowledge that there has been no overall philosophy and its been based on the individual hired at the time rather than the company as a whole.

I think Josh has received the memo (ie the wrath of the playerbase) and understood that it is important that balance is really a necessity - and has been putting together the infrastructure internally to support it. These things do take time.

Well when he tried to do some damage control after that 28 June debacle, he clearly stated that they had a balance philosophy, it may not be written, but it was a thing and they would formalise it and share it publicly. He never said he had received incorrect information and there was no such thing, no philosophy, no guidelines, no wider concepts behind balance decisions. I mean, we all assumed it and you talking about a new infrastructure is also speculation, but he never retracted his original statements on the matter. If he's now instructed his team to come up with a logical policy from scratch, that's great. Perhaps he can confirm this is the case.

Edited by Karagee.6830
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Well when he tried to do some damage control after that 28 June debacle, he clearly stated that they had a balance philosophy, it may not be written, but it was a thing and they would formalise it and share it publicly. He never said he had received incorrect information and there was no such thing, no philosophy, no guidelines, no wider concepts behind balance decisions. I mean, we all assumed it and you talking about a new infrastructure is also speculation, but he never retracted his original statements on the matter. If he's now instructed his team to come up with a logical policy from scratch, that's great. Perhaps he can confirm this is the case.

Fair enough - I re-read his post on that and he didn't state that they needed to get one, it was that they should be sharing what it was.

I think, regardless, that there HASN'T been one and they are simply trying to catch up with an overall design philosophy that they then CAN share. 😆 

7 hours ago, thorrand.6548 said:

The fact that it's played so much is just an indication of how IMBALANCED that spec is. And you are wrong feeling unwelcome: the people who are unwelcome are those NOT playing mechanist as groups clearly exhibit in lfg.

As I said, if you did 25k instead of 29k autoattack damage on the golem, absolutely nothing would change for you or your experience of the game. If you cannot play anything more complex than an autoattack build which would now do more damage than AA mechanist, then you will still be playing AA mechanist and do enough damage to clear any group content bar HT CM.

I don't get why people a small minority of people feel the need to whine and moan, when there is overwhelming evidence that there is a massive imbalance, it's a massive problem and it's massively bad for the game as a whole. Nerfing mechanist AFK damage will not make it unusable, it will make it comparable to everything else this game has to offer.

Edited by Karagee.6830
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I really don't care about who has taken charge of what team or department.  I do care that a wide variety of Support and DPS builds are not viable or just suck to play due to poorly implemented traits and skills.  It has been months since EoD dropped and still we have professions that are overly dominant against very subpar professions.

Pick a direction, pick a design philosophy and come back when you have finished the work.  Telling us you changed the person leading the team reminds us that you have no idea what you are doing and this game suffers for it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, thorrand.6548 said:

Then don't play it? The fact it's played so much is a decent indicator they did something right. 

Quite the opposite actually.  A lot of people feel that they have to play it or new folks pick it because it's overpowered compared to the other professions. To say that the ridiculous amount of mechs in groups and in general is indicative that something is right is laughable.

• Like 10
  • Confused 2

Luckily I'm already AFK!

kitten CMC 👈 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Cal and team will share the updated balance philosophy with you prior to that release’s balance preview.

This is the key, foundational element to everything.  As long as they receive feedback and adjust their philosophy not just adjusting numbers, this could be a fundamental shift in the game for everyone.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Interesting times, will Warrior see the light of day for the first time since before HOT where Core warrior was better then Warrior is today? 

Will FB's and Mechanists not be 60% of all played classes? Will Ranger get its burst Identity back with One wolf pack? Will Elem's be allowed to be the best dps class in the game because of how insanely hard it is to play them? (Seriously, Elem's need something, I don't play Elem, but still feel like they deserve to be the games best dps class and not just be outdps'd by afk Mechanists). 

Fingers crossed! Glad to see they finally doing something about the 300 second traits! Balls in your court, maybe we might get the games good combat back! 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

Balance is great and all, but where is the content? Nothing new in spvp since 2019. Thats 3 FULL years, including an new expansion where spvp has gotten nothing. Zero. Ziltch. No modes, no maps, no rewards, no armor skins, no weapon skins, no titles, no achievement collections, can't leave a 4v5, can't avoid bots, forced to lose to meet an arbitrary 50% win rate goal, cant use half the stat combinations, cant use the majority sigils and runes, reporting toxic players does nothing. We need more than just another round of warrior and thief nerfs. Please Grouch. Please help the pvp community.

• Like 8

On 9/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, pallas.8150 said:

Relatively, anyone should be able to do the job on a balance team because the philosophy, knowledge and skills to do so are fully in place and their job is to implement, execute, and verify the integrity of the work. No need to really reinvent the wheel nor do things on moods, whims, and bias while flying by the seat of one's pants.  

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 3

Last time CMC "balanced" PvP, we got a nuclear warhead worth of nerfs that killed off the majority of the PvP scene. 300 second cooldowns, removal of amulets, smiter's booning various traits and weapons,  and no damage on CC were all his doing. I'm not going to celebrate until positive changes happens. 

I would like to see some action directed at wintrading as well. PvP will never be in a healthy state until cheaters no longer dominate the leaderboard. Otherwise, what incentive is there to climb and improve your rank? The prestige is gone, and matches will just get progressively worse for you as you run into a brick wall and get gatekept by throwers. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Should I be hopeful for the future of gw2 as a World versus World Hammer Warrior main with the October patch CmC ? or should I return to orr where I have resided for years to await the day my spoon Hammer Shall hurt thy foes once more? Only time shall tell I suppose, but expect nothing and get disappointed by nothing as the old philosophy was once fortold by the ancient Warriors of old now but a Legend fading into the mists hoping for battles that may not exist.

• Like 3

Well , great news , anyway Cmc can't do worse than the previous huge patch (the banner nightmare and the ele meta defining joke)

Hope for the best .

And yes , Dondarrion , every water type weapon/skills traits , will become Op now , eager to see omega buff to ele water traits and water attunement 😁

Edited by zeyeti.8347
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Last time CMC "balanced" PvP, we got a nuclear warhead worth of nerfs that killed off the majority of the PvP scene. 300 second cooldowns, removal of amulets, smiter's booning various traits and weapons,  and no damage on CC were all his doing. I'm not going to celebrate until positive changes happens. 

I would like to see some action directed at wintrading as well. PvP will never be in a healthy state until cheaters no longer dominate the leaderboard. Otherwise, what incentive is there to climb and improve your rank? The prestige is gone, and matches will just get progressively worse for you as you run into a brick wall and get gatekept by throwers. 

Honestly one thing that would help against win trading would be it having more people playing the mode like it used to, win trading is so easy because no one pvp's anymore due to patches such as that pvp balance patch which killed off whoever was left playing it. Hearing that he was behind the pvp killing patch.... well, hopefully he's learnt since then. 
If they did put a stop to the current win trading, then pvp would be so incredibly dead matches would take forever to start unfortunately. 

• Like 3