If a wiki is needed to know what most items are for, you have failed at UI/UX

Gadzooks.4687

The simple concept of putting BETTER, more clear details into tooltips for an item seems to be a foreign concept here.

All too often do I come across a plethora of items in this game that I have no clue what they are for because of how vague and limited the tooltip descriptions are. Im not even talking about those more rare items that are used for some obscure, drawn out collection to unlock that gosh darn flower backpack either. 

There are just too many items labeled as "trophy" that do not narrow down if they are valuable (needing for something rare), or just something you can trash because they were left over from when you completed a Heart Event.  Having an item state, "NPC named character wants this item" doesnt help either, because this game has thousands of NPCs and in 99% of cases, you are still going to the wiki to look up where that NPC is. There are a few exceptions where clicking the item zooms the map into where the npc is (assuming the npc wasnt moved in a DLC or LS update), but for the most part someone wouldnt have the foggiest as to where they are at.

The numerous other items that end up in your bags such as books, documents, notes, etc also fall into this category of "what do I do with this?" As its often not clear at all if its something that you need to keep for some collection, quest, or anything else important. 

Players shouldnt be put in this position, especially new players. Its frustrating and when you have collected enough of these types of items (not intentionally) the game comes to a screeching halt as you spend the next 30 minutes trying to research if you can get rid of them or not.  Anet, I get it... you want people to buy more bag/bank space. Thats fine. Let people EASILY know what items they should be keeping so they can say, "I need to upgrade my bank, I want to keep this". Stuff that isnt important should be very clear that it can be removed. It shouldnt share the same label (ie: trophy) as something that SHOULDNT be discarded.  Im sure all of the people who have already looked up what all the items do are thinking, "I dont have any issues, im confused...."  But thats the point, you shouldnt HAVE to look at a wiki to see what something is for. The game should make that clear on its own.

And this doesnt even BEGIN to touch on the probably of "way too many currencies" this game has, and also not knowing what each is used for, where to spend it, or even how to earn it. All of these things are in dire need of a HUGE cleanup process. Time to stop making us do the cleanup. In the end, it will keep more players around which will be good for the game overall.

Edited by Gadzooks.4687
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 20
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Definitely room for improvement. I (10 yr veteran) am often going through my brother's (2 yr+/- player) bank looking to see what junk he has thrown in there. I'm sure I'm hanging onto some junk tucked away on a mule that could be purged, but it's just easier to ignore it.

I posted this because I JUST did this very thing with my Son. Took about an hour. I full expect to have to do it again in the near future as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

lets just ignore the fact that every MMO and most video games have this problem; or the fact that GW2 has an intergrated function to search their official wiki rather than trawling the internet for a poorly updated fan-site that probably havent been updated in years.

heres a really neat sulution to your problems "/wiki [Shift+right-click}" problem solved

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

lets just ignore the fact that every MMO and most video games have this problem; or the fact that GW2 has an intergrated function to search their official wiki rather than trawling the internet for a poorly updated fan-site that probably havent been updated in years.

heres a really neat sulution to your problems "/wiki [Shift+right-click}" problem solved

Absolutely. Every mmo out there could improve on this aspect. GW2 Just seems to take the winning "Trophy" (see what I did there? lol... sorry)  with it because of the sheer amount of items and currency it has in comparison.

Thanks for the /wiki command... that is more helpful for sure.

Not sure why they couldnt just integrate it even further into the game and do that without players needing to know that command. Its like, why am I only finding out about this now? Im a more experienced player than many new players, how are they ever supposed to find out? Its like Anet goes half way, and then stops.

Edited by Gadzooks.4687
  • Like 5
  • Confused 7

UI is not perfect but in 10 years of playing rarely ran into that issue. Stuff for hearts have never been a problem if you are paying attention. Most are only available in the area of the heart. Others mention stuff like "<name of heart NPC or near the heart> is might be interested in this". Such as one of the hearts in Snowden where killing animal gives you slabs of meat you can bring to the chef. Of course if you just try to blindly plow through the content then you will probably miss details like that.

It is also very obvious what you might want to keep and what you can toss based on how frequently you are getting the item or how you are getting them. For example there are a bunch of places where you can get an item by interacting with with various objects such as different spare parts you could give to the skritt brewer or other parts from boxes of junk. If you can't tell that those things can be thrown away then you will be needing a tutorial attached to every item.

Currency usually have a matching merchant icon and most are placed in very obvious locations. How oblivious do you want to be and still be able to play the game?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

but in 10 years of playing rarely ran into that issue.

See, thats a trend I see on these forums with new players having issues.

Of course you dont have issues.. .you have been playing for many years. You started when the game was a smaller beast, and had years to adapt, learn and grow into it as it changed and grew.

Most of these requests and suggestions arent for the 10 year vets of the game. They are for the newer players.  People with 10 years (or even 5 years) probably arent going to have these issues, because they have take the time to work around it until they learned what was going on. They learned on their own, because they game didnt teach them. Games SHOULD do the teaching.

it is also very obvious what you might want to keep and what you can toss based on how frequently you are getting the item or how you are getting them.

Thats the thing, im not talking about the 250 stack of dust. Im talking more about those random items and small stacks you end up with in your bags after playing for a couple hours. For a new player, it is NOT clear if these are important or not. Other games teach them that if its not important, it wont be left in their bag.

Edited by Gadzooks.4687
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I don't agree with how "total" your take is. Some things are meant to be discovered and this is fine, looking up those cases in the wiki is then nothing more than taking a shortcut. On the other hand there sure are some items (mostly probably collection-related) that could use "can be safely deleted/sold after acquisition" in their description. A good example of that (even though it wasn't really a part of any collection visibile to the player) is the fragment of prismatic light's description from seasons of the dragons achievement.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

Obviously if any items states "It can be safely discarded" or something to that effect, then it can be deleted. For any items that says Trophy, I will sell them to vendors if possible or delete them. Any books, unless you want to decorate your bank tabs, I would not keep. If I mistakenly deleted something that I'll need later, there's always Customer Support which are always very helpful in that regards.

As Parasite.5389 mentioned, use the /wiki [shift+leftclick] (unless your mouse buttons are reversed) or /wiki [keyword] to find info on virtually any items.

However, as has been suggested before, there should be a Find function integrated into the game with a Wiki icon that will open up a box to enter a linked item from your bank, inventory, etc., or to enter a keyword. This will help new players immensely who doesn't know about Wiki.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gadzooks.4687 said:

There are just too many items labeled as "trophy" that do not narrow down if they are valuable (needing for something rare), or just something you can trash because they were left over from when you completed a Heart Event

If you can salvage it, do so.  If it says trophy and has a coin value listed, sell it.  If it doesn't, trash it.

No other items say this.  In fact, many items indicate whether they're part of a collection, and those earned through events and hearts are generally quite straightforward.

• Like 3

Whilst I don’t agree it’s a straight “fail”, I agree bloat has kicked in and things should have been refined or explained as they went along. It just wasn’t their priority although Anet do like their bloat. 

Having said that, the journey of discovery is quite legitimate. I’ve been playing Skyrim on/off for ten years. I’m pretty sure I’ll one day find out a major, game progressing use for all these mugs and burnt books I find ready to be looted.

• Haha 1

The thing I would most like to see improved in this area is for items to be consistent. If it has the "you must type in the name to delete it" prompt, it should be an important item you can't get back easily. If it it's something you can safely delete after you've acquired because it's just part of a collection, it should consistently say so. And preferably say it has another purpose if it's both collection item and used in something (ex: the Pile of Beryl Dust in Incinerator I collection that is not only a collection unlock on acquire, it's a crafting material too, which is not clear at all on the item itself). This is one area where I agree with you on tooltips: an item like that could say something like "Maybe I can refine this into Beryllium..."

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

I think most "trophies" should be renamed. The vast majority are:

• Junk with no use except selling to merchants
  • Salvage items like leather/cloth scraps
  • Event or heart items which have no use except handing them over to an NPC and can be deleted if you have any left afterwards because if you repeat it you'll get plenty more

There's absolutely no reason to keep any of those but calling it a trophy makes it sound like something you should hold onto, so some people do.

Then there's tokens which work like a currency but don't go in the wallet, like black lion claim tickets or SAB baubles, which you probably do want to hold onto but could use a more descriptive category. (Maybe call them tokens? Or split it out even more - festival token, Black Lion token, map token etc.)

That would just leave collection items as trophies, which are probably too difficult to clarify with a simple category name change, because whether you need to keep them or not, and how long for, varies. I think these need better text in the info box to explain how they're used. Some, but not all, say something like 'this item only has value as part of a collection and can be sold' but some which also have no use after you've got it into the collection don't say that and some can't because you do need it for another step.

I'm not suggesting the entire process of completing the collections should be included, because often the intention is that players have to figure it out. But it would help if there was something explicit to say when you no longer need an item.

For example the legendary collections often require you to go and speak to an NPC when you've finished one, to unlock the next collection. When you do that they could tell you which ones to sell and which to hold onto. They could even buy the ones that can be sold.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

Actually that is a work around and doesn't solve the problem(s) at all.

• Like 1

I wish there was a toggle-able UI popup that randomly spouted off a list of hot tips curated by players. With tip categories like qol, char, game modes, functions etc

Things like /wiki, splitting stacks, how u can immediately and unlimitedly dye and redye armours for free, how you cannot reskin for free, how you should unlock item skins, etc. 

Gw2 isn't solitaire, there really is a lot of game mechanics to learn, and new players should have some means to cycle through categories of random tips such as when waiting for boss/event to spawn, if they wanted to learn such tips. And if they choose not to avail themselves of it, they're adults.

Edited by casualkenny.9817
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, casualkenny.9817 said:

Gw2 isn't solitaire, there really is a lot of game mechanics to learn, and new players should have some means to cycle through categories of random tips such as when waiting for boss/event to spawn, if they wanted to learn such tips.

I would say that if someone is waiting for a boss or event to start, he is definitely not a new player. If a new player is waiting for a boss/event to start, someone has told him to wait and he didn't need a tooltip. 

I believe the lack of tooltips and such stuff was an important part of building the GW2 community into nice and friendly community it is. People have to work together and communicate to find out what items are and do, with the wiki being the depository of that knowlage. Why add a tooltip feature, when you can ask in the map chat and someone will explain, point you in the right direction, help or at least tell you how the /wiki feature works.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1