Linked GW and GW2 account: how to manage google authenticator?

Hello All

I have my GW and GW2 accounts linked, meaning that I have two different keys associated to same unique email address.

My question: Is it still possible to use google authenticator in such a case? Can the authenticator manage having two different keys under one address?

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Confused 1

But they don't speak about the specific case of a GW and a GW2 accounts linked together under the same unique email address? Or did I miss it somewhere? 

Also, I have another question: There is something I don't get clearly out of this guide. The "key" or "QR code" required by the google authenticator to add an account, what are they? Do I have to get it generated somewhere?

Sorry to be slow... ☺️

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230900328-Linking-your-Guild-Wars-Guild-Wars-2-Accounts

"One Login: With an ArenaNet account, you only need to remember one set of credentials to access all of your games; no need to remember a different login email and password for every game you own!"

"NOTE: Whatever email you choose for your ArenaNet account will be the one you use to access ALL of your games when you're finished linking your accounts."

• Thanks 1

Ok, I'm sorry, I probably explain poorly, but I still don't understand how to proceed. I try to describe again. 

So, I have 2 accounts linked under one unique common email address "user@address.xxx", with one unique common password "whatever". Beside, I have one player ID for each account: "NameAcc1.xxxx" and "NameAcc2.yyyy"

Now I want to set up the google authenticator for the two accounts. I open google authenticator on my phone, I click to add an account and then google asks me to for two data: "account name" and "key". I don't know what to use for those:

- The account name: is it my email address? Or my player ID? Or something else?

- The key, is it my password? Or something else?

Edited to strike through wrong input. Sorry for this.

Edited by Dreamy Lu.3865
removed line jumps

Account Name - email associated with account  (email@somewhere.com)

Display Name - name shown on forums and in-game (Dreamy Lu. 3865)

Key:  To use Authenticator, the app is first installed on a smartphone. It must be set up for each site with which it is to be used: the site provides a shared secret key to the user over a secure channel, to be stored in the Authenticator app. This secret key will be used for all future logins to the site.

Make sure you note this secret key somewhere, in case you ever need to remove or change your 2FA device/app. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
more info

2 hours ago, Dreamy Lu.3865 said:

Ok, I'm sorry, I probably explain poorly, but I still don't understand how to proceed. I try to describe again. 

So, I have 2 accounts linked under one unique common email address "user@address.xxx", with one unique common password "whatever". Beside, I have one player ID for each account: "NameAcc1.xxxx" and "NameAcc2.yyyy"

Now I want to set up the google authenticator for the two accounts. I open google authenticator on my phone, I click to add an account and then google asks me to for two data: "account name" and "key". I don't know what to use for those:

- The account name: is it my email address? Or my player ID? Or something else?

- The key, is it my password? Or something else?

So you have two separate GW2 accounts? I don't understand how you can have 2 separate accounts with the same email address.  Is one of these created through Steam?

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Confused 1

I use Google Authenticator for multiple GW2 accounts. I never heard of being able to use the same email address though.

Steam accounts use Steam for authentication and 2FA.

Does your request have something to do with the game telling you to set up 2FA to access a guild bank?

Edited by Chaba.5410

58 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Many of us have a Guild Wars account and a Guild Wars 2 account and, if they are linked, they share the same email (Account Name). 

That's what I thought the issue was too because of what he wrote in his first post (see my earlier posts), but this guy says now he has accountname.xxxx and accountname.yyyy. Guild Wars accounts do not have display names. Those are both Guild Wars 2 accounts.

4 hours ago, Dreamy Lu.3865 said:

I have one player ID for each account: "NameAcc1.xxxx" and "NameAcc2.yyyy"

Edited by Chaba.5410

On 9/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Many of us have a Guild Wars account and a Guild Wars 2 account and, if they are linked, they share the same email (Account Name). 

Is the code generated by the google authenticator working for both the GW and the GW2 accounts (since they share same email)?

Edited by Dreamy Lu.3865

On 9/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, Chaba.5410 said:

That's what I thought the issue was too because of what he wrote in his first post (see my earlier posts), but this guy says now he has accountname.xxxx and accountname.yyyy. Guild Wars accounts do not have display names. Those are both Guild Wars 2 accounts.

It was an error to put that. I have accordingly updated my post. Sorry. 

5 hours ago, Dreamy Lu.3865 said:

It was an error to put that. I have accordingly updated my post. Sorry. 

Refer back to my original response then. When you link  GW1 and GW2 accounts, there is only one login, one key. You only need that one in your authenticator.

It's easiest to scan the QR code generated by accounts.arena.net. Follow the instructions for setting up 2FA from that account management website.

Edited by Chaba.5410