No Steam Input recommendation set

When you start a Steam game that has no controller support, Steam automatically applies a Steam Input configuration if it finds a connected controller.  If the developer does not set a recommended configuration, Steam uses a very simple default template made for some common FPS games, and this will give users a poor impression, because it usually does something but it doesn't actually work.  For GW2, it will let someone walk around, move the moue, click with left trigger, interact with Y, use 1-4 from the dpad, jump with A, and basically just not make much sense and play awfully.  Many Steam users don't even realize this is how Steam handles games without controller support.

I know you choose to leave the controller market ignored and are against supporting controllers, but there are some good controller configurations for playing GW2 (I know, I have hundreds of hours playing GW2 on controller--and just a 360 controller, not a fancy touchpad or gyro controller).  I'm not asking you to support controllers, but if you simply set Steam to use something reasonable as the recommended default, someone using one when they try the game will have a better experience.  It's how Steam Input is meant to be used by developers who don't want to spend effort supporting controllers: let players do the work, and you just set a default that makes sense and keep on doing your non-controller thing.

Basically, the current default is broken, and there's no downside to setting Steam to use a better one.  You could even just set Steam to use the standard 'gamepad' template instead of the 'WASD+Mouse' template, which will make it so a controller does nothing by default.  At least 'nothing' is working as expected, instead of a broken half-config.

Edited by Tyrian Mollusk.1563
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree, they should do a better work on controller side now that the game it's available on Steam, btw I think they just need time to understand alla the problems and fix them as players with controller increase, btw GW2 interface was originally created for mouse and keyb interaction, let's hope they will find the time to address the problem in the future, it's not an easy task.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What I'm talking about is an easy task.  This is just a Steam setup issue for what it uses when someone tries a controller.  If a dev doesn't bother to set things, Steam uses a default config that's semi-broken.  Better to set the default to something that won't look like it is supposed to work (the gamepad template, for example, would make controller simply ignored), pick a functional community config, or just have Steam grab the highest rated community shared profile.  None of these require Anet to understand or work on controller support, which I don't expect they'll do.

Anet not supporting controllers is their intention, not a bug, but letting Steam substitute a half-broken configuration because it isn't set up correctly is a bug.

• Sad 1