The Aurene Logo Cape and Alienware's giveaway.

Demonhead.7584

This is a complaint that I, and a few others, have share/have and it comes first and foremost out of a sense of being let-down.

The in-game cape we got when we ordered the real-world statue of the collectible Aurene Statue, was supposed to be an exclusive extra for players who spent the extra real-world money to get said statue. Just like with the Funkopop mini's you can get in-game, the keys were exclusive when you bought the real-world item. You couldn't get it ANYWHERE else. When you bought either the Funkopop statuettes, or the Aurene statue, you essentially got a little piece of rare in-game flair and intrigue.

Now that Alienaware has given away 10,000+ keys (yes, 10k worth of keys because they repeated their giveaway), this item essentially is given out fairly en-masse. Why is that when someone buys a funkopop, they get to maintain and keep their unique, exclusive item, but when we spend 120 USD+ on a plastic statue, we lose that particular unique (and essentially paid for) flair? When you buy a funkopop mini, it also doesn't say it's an "exclusive", but it's only attainable when you buy the real-world item. The exclusivity comes from the nature of purchase I would argue as well.

I am a thousand percent in favour of players getting free, interesting skins. But to take what was specifically an exclusive on a statue, and suddenly give it out like this, certainly leaves a bad taste in my (and some of us who also bought the statue's) mouth. This is no different than taking a collector-edition "special item" or "bonus" item, and just giving them away en-masse to non-CE buyers. 

Did I buy the statue for the cape? In a sense, yes. But the statue I also enjoyed. It just seems rather dubious in practice. If this cape is being given out as such, then why aren't the funkpops, or those limited gw2-shirt outfits being given out too. Fortunately CS seemed sympathetic, but understandably can't do anything.

Anywho, complaint over.

(lol as always to those confused; stay classy fam. Imagine condoning this kind of behaviour; imagine buying a CE/limited edition of something, and they just give away the unique item. It appears certain folks enjoy watching other people get done-in by these kinds of practices. Ironically, I have yet to see a 'confused' person justify this behaviour;  I'll wait. If you're confused by and condone  this terrible behaviour, have a long think. This is inexcusable and bordering on false advertisement, especially considering that this item was ONLY ATTAINABLE via buying the statue at the time.

To be frank, it is truly a low point for this for this community if people are accepting of this issue. It's something that even since my gw1 days, would never have been ok, particularly if they did this to a gw1 CE Mini or collectible. There would have been mass outrage. Quite the upsetting notion/thought.) 

This will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. After sixteen years of supporting Anet and playing this franchise, this community's reaction to this matter is telling of the way things are going. I'm out.

Update 08/Dec/22: In true Anet fashion, they're now giving this cape out to people with Prime Gaming. The betrayal truly never ends. This has been unequivocally one of the most frustrating instances I've had with Anet. Way to absolutely destroy any sentiment of trust and loyalty from a dedicated player of 16+ years.

Disgusted and disappointed. 

Edited by Demonhead.7584
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

I'm surprised you've been playing Guild Wars for 16 years and think this is new. I'm pretty sure all the promo items get re-used sooner or later, they might still be restricted to special promotions but I don't think we've had anything which was exclusive to just 1 give-away.

Personally I think it's a good thing, because it means people who like the cape and want to use it are more likely to be able to get it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

"this community response"... of four people responding, and 9 clicking a reaction.

This ain't even all that big response for this forums standards, not to mention anything that could be extrapolated to the whole.

As for maybe a lack of huge uproar over the item being no longer exclusive to the statuette - I didn't even realise Statuette gave a cape, or rather if I registered that fact when statuette was being sold, it was so minor I have forgotten by now. And I certainly did not connect this Alienware giveaway with the statuette, and I would imagine grand most of the community may have missed either or both of those events in the first place.

Outside of the forums, the only criticism to Alienware Arena giveaway I saw was a handfull of people complaining how they only gave away such a limited amount and how bad FOMO it is.

In the end, personally I am not a big fan of the idea of timed exclusive anything, in any game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Demonhead.7584 said:

This will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. After sixteen years of supporting Anet and playing this franchise, this community's reaction to this matter is telling of the way things are going. I'm out.

A general advice, though I don't see anything in this thread that is bad in any way: don't let a handful of people's reaction bring you down. First off, the forums don't represent everyone in the community. Secondly, some people just enjoy being "anti", no matter what. And lastly, don't take it personally and don't let it influence your joy of the game.

As for the topic, I understand the dismay, but several once unique item codes have been given away later on via new means. Perhaps ANet will reconsider the next time, but the past has shown on the matter that they more likely won't.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Pheex.8932 said:

Honestly as someone who got the cape from the giveaway and now hearing it was actually from an exclusive piece of official merchandise, I can see how unfair this must feel.

Exclusivity has a real value for a lot of people and having that taken away is not cool.

indeed, i get angry by this, the greed and unfairness :@ it's like real life. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

I think ppl who joined at launch or something, got a cap.

Wish i could get one.

I actually think that would have matched the Alienware promo a lot better since they did it alongside an advert for season one's re-release. 10-year-old hat to go with 10-year-old content to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the game? Seems like a much better fit than a cape that was presented as exclusive very recently.

So, fine that the cape is available to others, just seems a bit early and a strange choice compared to more fitting alternatives.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1