What race(s) make for the best and worst Warriors? Please justify your response.

oscuro.9720

What race makes for the best and worst Warrior? Please justify your choice.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which race makes for the best Warrior?

2. 2. What race makes for the worst Warrior?

I chose Human for best, Norn for worst.

Human may seem like a dull choice, but it's the standard when it comes to animations and skins. Weapons are all the correct size, armours aren't stretched, and animations are all clear.

Conversely, Norn Warriors, especially male ones, are ridiculously over-proportioned, armour skins are just stretched versions of human ones, and they've never fixed the ridiculous weapon scaling on male Norn characters, which means a greatsword is about 50% larger drawn when stowed.

And I can't stand their dumpy little waddle >:E

I am very fond of my female Sylvari Warrior, but my male Human Warrior is my main, so I'm probably biased.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
ARRRRRR!

Charr are by far the best pick for Warriors. They're the only race able to easily handle their 2 handed weapons without much effort, they have weighty swings and motions, fierce fangs and claws, and their entire life structure is built around military discipline. But even besides all of that, they're just larger than the other races where it matters. With all of their weight on their torso and arms, it gives them much better momentum, and being more or less feline in nature, makes them easily flexible.

I prefer my lettuce chopped, but I think Sylvari would be the worst Warriors. Their nature alone makes them less fierce than other races, as they're extremely young and full of whimsy, and their physiology is strange. You may think "But Asura are smol!", but at least an Asura can have body bulk. A Sylvari is just plant matter for all I know. Though wood can get pretty durable.

• Like 2

Imo, from best to worst:

Charr>Norn>Human>Sylvari>Asura.

-Why charr over norn? Easy, because they literally got a big part of their civilization being a warrior, a soldier with discipline, they're used to fight each other in trainings, while norns are not that organized, they mostly just fight animals, for their festivals/huntings, and sometimes, some svanirs.

-Why Norn over Human? Big physical advantage and their civilization is more used to the physical fights in general, and they managed to resist the charrs a while ago, humans could've got far less presence on tyria if norns lost that war.

-Why Human over Sylvari? Experience, they're more organized, far more years of fighting/war experience, and i mean, the game literally got the name due to their past constant wars.

-Why Sylvari over Asura? Physical advantage, but still not an advantage that big, Asuras are usually more intelligent, they can master their weapons better and faster, better warrior tactics, and Bladesworns doesn't depends that much in physical strength as Berserker, Core and Spellbreaker does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalthea.4326 said:

I prefer my lettuce chopped, but I think Sylvari would be the worst Warriors. Their nature alone makes them less fierce than other races, as they're extremely young and full of whimsy, and their physiology is strange. You may think "But Asura are smol!", but at least an Asura can have body bulk. A Sylvari is just plant matter for all I know. Though wood can get pretty durable.

Sylvaries can also have a body bulk, and their nature says that their way to be is based on what time of the day they've born + collective memories, so, yes, they're the only race where you can tell that they've born as a fierce warrior and prepared for that. 

Edited by Zizekent.2398

Now listen here, we have 6 comments, but 15 voters. Some of you are clearly not pulling your weight. 

With that being said, the ethicality of playing a sylvari warrior on a profession that would willingly eradicate every tree on earth just to secure 1 more kill is questionable in my mind. Then again, it’s a vegetable, so maybe it doesn’t have ethics?

Best: Charr followed by Norn. Why? Charr are in a culture of war which values physical power and skill, and have an entire Legion devoted to physical combat; Norn are physically imposing and have a culture of selfishness and labour their own legend, albeit the nature theme of Ranger fits them more. They are mostly nomads and hunters-gatherers.

Humans with all their background of organization and use of magic are more slanted towards Guardians, Guardians also doesn't fit well in Charr culture due distrust towards magic, spell casters, gads and everything related.

Worst is Asura, since they doesn't rely in physicality and getting dirty; they value intellect and their advanced civilization have thrieved due magitec and golems.

• Like 1

I don't think Asura is necessarily a poor fit, especially not if you put it in some magitech looking gear.

You'd freak out if a chimpanzee with god-level intelligence and proper dexterity and fine motor control came charging at you with a big ol greatsword.

Asura are the same way, little dudes made of pure muscle.

Best - charr -  cuz GS2 skill have great animation, GS3 looks great on charr (btw vindi have the same animation but with mist effect)

Worst- I's divided between sylvari and asura - they both don't look suited for brute force and stuff what warrior do but asura have great animations and sylvari VA's did great job with shout skills but somehow I can't imagine them being only a class that isn't using any magic in their kit.

• Like 1

I love how male Charr look in armor, most of their animations, and they are a great fit from a lore perspective. They are probably best. (I do hate how they hold greatswords, though.)

But, I will admit to having a soft spot for Asura. They are ridiculous, to be sure. But as I've gotten older (and I am old), I've found myself moving away from the need to have my toons look super kitten and begun taking such things less seriosuly. An Asura warrior fits this approach well. They are comical, absurd, and yet somehow perfectly awesome. 

• Like 1

Depends on your criteria, I think.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:19 PM, Kalthea.4326 said:

There's a discussion in Brisban Wildlands where one sylvari seems to be perplexed that another is a Warrior.

You see this somewhat in the mook sylvari NPCs like Wardens and Valiants. The overwhelming majority are Rangers, with the odd earth elementalist. Nightmare Court have a few (enemy factions are generally more fleshed out), but they're also inherently more violent.

On 9/16/2022 at 8:27 PM, Zizekent.2398 said:

-Why Norn over Human? Big physical advantage and their civilization is more used to the physical fights in general, and they managed to resist the charrs a while ago, humans could've got far less presence on tyria if norns lost that war.

The timeline is difficult to pin down, but I always had the impression that the charr-norn clash came after the charr-human one. The charr prefer the lowlands and only tried to go into the mountains after they were pushed out of Ascalon.

Ultimately, though the charr-human wars were mostly decided by magic. During the first war, humans had it and charr didn't. In the second, charr suddenly had a lot of it while human magic-users had been attrited down during the Guild Wars.

On 9/17/2022 at 4:09 AM, oscuro.9720 said:

With that being said, the ethicality of playing a sylvari warrior on a profession that would willingly eradicate every tree on earth just to secure 1 more kill is questionable in my mind. Then again, it’s a vegetable, so maybe it doesn’t have ethics?

Unless it's a Pale Tree, sylvari should really feel no more guilt in logging than a human does in hunting.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:34 AM, Buran.3796 said:

Humans with all their background of organization and use of magic are more slanted towards Guardians, Guardians also doesn't fit well in Charr culture due distrust towards magic, spell casters, gads and everything related.

Humans do still seem to have less guardians than warriors - the Seraph didn't even get a generic guardian until Lake Doric. Guardian seems to be a difficult profession to get into fluffwise - probably because while it doesn't need as much magical training as scholars or as much martial training as warriors, the need to have a high degree of skill in both makes it harder to learn than professions that are more focused on one or the other. The White Mantle are the only organisation I can think of that has guardian numbers close to warrior numbers, but they're near the top of a selection process that favours magic-users (you can see this in how few magic-users you see among bandit forces, which are where a lot of the pool of recruits for the White Mantle proper are).

(PS: Sylvari and asura might have similar numbers of guardians to warriors, maybe even more, but this would be a function of both being less common among those races.)

Edited by draxynnic.3719

12 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Depends on your criteria, I think.

There's a discussion in Brisban Wildlands where one sylvari seems to be perplexed that another is a Warrior.

You see this somewhat in the mook sylvari NPCs like Wardens and Valiants. The overwhelming majority are Rangers, with the odd earth elementalist. Nightmare Court have a few (enemy factions are generally more fleshed out), but they're also inherently more violent.

The timeline is difficult to pin down, but I always had the impression that the charr-norn clash came after the charr-human one. The charr prefer the lowlands and only tried to go into the mountains after they were pushed out of Ascalon.

Ultimately, though the charr-human wars were mostly decided by magic. During the first war, humans had it and charr didn't. In the second, charr suddenly had a lot of it while human magic-users had been attrited down during the Guild Wars.

Unless it's a Pale Tree, sylvari should really feel no more guilt in logging than a human does in hunting.

Humans do still seem to have less guardians than warriors - the Seraph didn't even get a generic guardian until Lake Doric. Guardian seems to be a difficult profession to get into fluffwise - probably because while it doesn't need as much magical training as scholars or as much martial training as warriors, the need to have a high degree of skill in both makes it harder to learn than professions that are more focused on one or the other. The White Mantle are the only organisation I can think of that has guardian numbers close to warrior numbers, but they're near the top of a selection process that favours magic-users (you can see this in how few magic-users you see among bandit forces, which are where a lot of the pool of recruits for the White Mantle proper are).

All good points, though this is why I pointed out the Sylvari disposition more than their stature. Also, the Nightmare Court is more of a corruption than anything, making them the exception.

5 minutes ago, Kalthea.4326 said:

All good points, though this is why I pointed out the Sylvari disposition more than their stature. Also, the Nightmare Court is more of a corruption than anything, making them the exception.

Yeah, I was more adding to your point rather than opposing it. Dream sylvari seem to be more inclined to being curious about things rather than fighting, and professions like ranger allow them to have the ability to fight without building their identity around it.

That said, I think this probably goes double for asura. Asura really put a high cultural premium on magitech and research, which tends to push them into scholar professions, engineer, and thief in an "unconventional information collection" role. Sylvari also seem to be a bit more organised and willing to fight for a cause than asura tend to be (noting that there are of course exceptions).