What is the most optimal and efficient sequence or to-do-list in Guild Wars 2?

AyunaAni.5071

TL;DR: I'd like to ask for a specific, most or atleast near most efficient and optimal sequence of things to do. 

Context: I'm level 80, own all expansions, not living worlds though, I have 3 level 80 characters, have not owned any ascended armor. 

Hello, 

I understand Guild Wars 2 should be anything you want, but I'd like to achieve high numbers - I'd like to get high mastery points, achievement points, and complete ascended/legendary armor fastest way possible. But I'm not sure what to prioritize first. For instance, I'm not sure if it's better to grind for Griffon first and then ascended armor. I'm not sure what I should save money for, what living world episodes to buy, etc.. I'm not sure what masteries to level up first. I'm not sure what mount to level up first, etc.. Not sure where to grind gold, there's just a lot of options. 

This is not just for me though, we'd appreciate it if anyone were to give a comprehensive list of things to do, in order. Let's put fun aside, and talk about efficiency. Because obviously, if I'd feel bored, I can just not follow the guide anytime I want.

Also, let's avoid dailies for now, there's tons of threads of that already.

Just tell me what to do in the long run.

Thanks! 

Edited by AyunaAni.5071
Additionall words
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, AyunaAni.5071 said:

TL;DR: I'd like to ask for a specific, most or atleast near most efficient and optimal sequence of things to do. 

Context: I'm level 80, own all expansions, not living worlds though, I have 3 level 80 characters, have not owned any ascended armor. 

Hello, 

I understand Guild Wars 2 should be anything you want, but I'd like to achieve high numbers - I'd like to get high mastery points, achievement points, and complete ascended/legendary armor fastest way possible. But I'm not sure what to prioritize first. For instance, I'm not sure if it's better to grind for Griffon first and then ascended armor. I'm not sure what I should save money for, what living world episodes to buy, etc.. I'm not sure what masteries to level up first. I'm not sure what mount to level up first, etc.. Not sure where to grind gold, there's just a lot of options. 

This is not just for me though, we'd appreciate it if anyone were to give a comprehensive list of things to do, in order. Let's put fun aside, and talk about efficiency. Because obviously, if I'd feel bored, I can just not follow the guide anytime I want.

Just tell me what to do. 

Thanks! 

With that attitude you will probably burn yourself out.

Set reasonable goals and you will be much more happier with this game.

You should be good with ONLY Exotic gear until you have collected enough materials to craft your Ascended gear and you will need to unlock your mounts one by one at least to get Springer including full mastery to be able jump higher before you start to work on Griffon.

I would suggest you read on GW2 wiki what you need and how to unlock things from Mastery.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery

There are Mastery track that will give your Mounts Stealth from Icebrood Saga and there a Crystal Champion Mastery that will be useful for ALL Mounts. Don't forget that Gliding -HoT Mastery- also helps a lot when you need to change mounts in air - which you later can do on both Skyscale and Griffon and you can also use updraft in Dragonfall and other maps where this exist, so there is no point in cherry picking to get as fast as possible to everything in this game.

The only Mastery from LW that I would ignore as long as possible would be Oakheart's Reach -and Siren's Song-  as those isn't that useful in other maps when you have Skyscale fully upgraded with its Mastery to navigate and charge up your flight bar from using walls combined with Gliding and updrafts/Mushroom jumping.

Do your Daily's to get 2 Gold when possible and run meta WB when you get access on those maps and you should slowly get more and more mats and currencies that are useful.

Invest in permanent salvage tools from Gem Store, permanent gathering tools with Glyphs that either make you collect everything in a small AoE range or faster like the Industrial one - give you a special speed buff on gathering tool. You can move those Glyphs to every Gathering Tool that have an upgrade slot.

Just keep an eye out for when there is a a sale on these things or follow

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

With that attitude you will probably burn yourself out.

Thanks a lot for your reply! Sorry I forgot to mention that I've already got most of the masteries you mentioned, but now that you mentioned the Crystal Champion mastery, that really does sound really useful. 

Also, don't worry about burning myself out. I balance chilling in the game and doing goals altogether.  But with the way I stand now, I'm currently grinding for Ascended armor for my Firebrand Guardian so I can get to T4 Fractals, do you think that's a good path? Also, should I grind gold to max Armorsmithing and Weaponsmithing now that I'll be grinding Ascended for Guardian? When should I start grinding for Griffon? Also, what's the objectively most profitable way of earning gold? 

Sorry for the loads of questions, hehe. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AyunaAni.5071 said:

What is the most optimal and efficient sequence or to-do-list in Guild Wars 2?

There is none.  The game is too complex and diverse with it's several games modes that there is no such list that is valid for all players and it all depends on the type of content you want to play and you have fun with and the things you yourself prioritize in the game.

Not sure where to grind gold, there's just a lot of options. 

(...)

Let's put fun aside, and talk about efficiency.

Just get a real life job and buy gems with real money and convert them to gold. The minimum wage in most western countries is way higher than the gold you could farm in the game at the same time, Buying gems with real money is the most efficient (and least fun) way to get gold really fast.

Just tell me what to do in the long run.

You definitely should play the content you have fun with or you will not achieve your "high numbers" because you probably will burn out and stop playing before you have them.

I'd like to get high mastery points, achievement points, and complete ascended/legendary armor fastest way possible. But I'm not sure what to prioritize first.

For high(est) mastery points and high(est) achievement points you need to play all expansions and all seasons and (nearly) all content in the game. That is quite a long term goal by itself. I would say prioritize the expansions (and their follow-up seasons) chronologically.

If you want convenience, get the core-tyria-autoloot mastery first. But you could also spent the time getting gliding and mount masteries faster if you don't care about auto-loot. It depends, again, on your own priorities.

If you want ascended armor and ascended weapons fast, buy gems with real money, convert gems to gold and buy mats with gold and level crafting to 500 and then craft ascended armor/weapons with material you bought with gold.

If youn want ascended trinkets and back items fast, farm map currencies in Season 3 maps and buy those items at NPC vendors with map currencies.

If you want legendary armor fast, start with raiding. And if you are raiding, you could also buy ascended weapons with raid currency.

If you want legendary weapons fast, convert gems to gold and buy them with gold.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get where you are coming from OP.  The way this game is laid out it can feel like you are being inefficient. 

What makes you more efficient is usually finding ways to do things faster or more effectively (such as increasing your stats). As such, HoT Gliding, PoF Mounts, LWS4 Skyscale, EoD Jade Bot all provide access to account wide buffs that improve efficiency. 

I’d also consider looking at top level achievements and what is tied to them. For example, Aurora and Vision (Legendary Trinkets) require you to basically complete all the content in LW3 and LW4. As does Season of Dragons. And Skyscale also wants a bunch of currency and such in these areas.  You can be massively efficient with these by knowing ahead of time what you will need to have and do to complete them.

If you set out to do these open world Achievements you will earn a lot of Gold as a byproduct.  As well you will earn Mastery XP and Points extending your Mastery Trees almost passively.

You also get good returns in Fractals while you farm the backpack.  Raiding doesn’t have good returns but is potentially the fastest and easiest (if you can deal with raiding) way to farm legendary armor. 

• Like 2

Play daily fractals.

Fractals give access to many central tyria mastery points you can use to level up your fractal masteries which is the first thing you should be aiming for if you play them (even above auto-loot).

At the high end, fractals dailies are among the highest gold per time activities in the game.

High end fractals drop ascended armor and accessories in droves, greatly bringing forward your gearing efforts for your toons. Fractal CMs are among the most engaging content in the game, as you master them you will be ready to take on about any other content the game throws at you - including raids. Raids is where ascended weapons tend to drop in droves so the two content types synergize well with each other.

Aside from that, playing PvP ranked can also be nice.

There are a lot of achievement points locked specifically behind PvP (much more compared to WvW) and the legendary pvp backpack is the cheapest among all to acquire.

Ranked PvP rewards you with a lot of tomes to level up your toons and give you a lot of stat-selectable armor boxes that you can use to gear your toons or play different builds.

At the same time, PvP can be used to kind of "learn" the game in a more difficult context than playing through open world. In general, playing a competitive gamemode can help to deepen the understanding of a class so it's always a good thing in my opinion.

These are kind of the two main things I would recommend to get a new account started, simply because they both have a progressive skill curve and help you with gearing and accessing endgame or literally any content. At the start there is a lot of explorative content alongside the story that you'll want to go through and only after you went through all of that it starts to become worth it to truly go ahead and narrow down an efficient path to earning (specifically achievement point) rewards.

Edited by Endaris.1452