Introducing Shamans to Guild Wars 2

Dethbott.4731

I think adding a new profession like shamans to the game would be great.  Shamans are already within the game and introducing them should be too much of problem.   Numerous shaman npcs within Tyria:  Norn shamans (starting area), Charr (Flame shamans), and Humans (Cantha/End of Dragons/Ritualists), Quaggans, and others I cannot remember.  There so many possibilities with them as profession.  

I know that if Arena Net would not consider it because they have to create two additional professions to balance it; Arena Net Added Revenant since adventures and scholar professions had three professions.

Anyone who reads my suggestion, please tell what you think about it.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dethbott.4731 said:

There so many possibilities with them as profession. 

Such as? What is a shaman profession to you? What would they do? How are they different to the professions we've already got?

You're right that there are NPCs with that job title, but the ones who have to fight also have one of the existing professions and use those skills instead of having unique ones, so that doesn't tell us anything about what kind of skills and abilities a shaman profession would have.

I know there's a DnD shaman class, which is kind of like a cross between a priest and a druid, with some unique skills focused on summoning and using spirits, but I can't think how that could be converted to GW2 without ending up as either a revenant in medium armour or a ranger with the druid elite spec and spirit utilities.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dethbott.4731 said:

I think it sounds like a Ritualist, which was a profession from the first Guild Wars game. Ritualists formed bonds with the spirits of the dead and performed rituals in order to be more effective in combat and support their allies. In GW2, I could easily see this fitting all of the playable races from a lore perspective, as each one has ancestors to call on or cultural rituals to reference. Bringing back this profession (along with the others that are missing) has been suggested a number of times over the years, though usually it's in the context of making it a specialization for an existing class instead of adding a new one (I'm a big fan of having it be a Necro spec, since giving them a link to ghosts feels natural).

Would that scratch the itch for you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 2:55 AM, Dethbott.4731 said:

I think adding a new profession like shamans to the game would be great.  Shamans are already within the game and introducing them should be too much of problem.   Numerous shaman npcs within Tyria:  Norn shamans (starting area), Charr (Flame shamans), and Humans (Cantha/End of Dragons/Ritualists), Quaggans, and others I cannot remember.  There so many possibilities with them as profession.  

I know that if Arena Net would not consider it because they have to create two additional professions to balance it; Arena Net Added Revenant since adventures and scholar professions had three professions.

gw2 can't even balance the classes that ALREADY exist, yet we should add more?...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Shaman has pretty clearly been a title rather than a profession. Flame Legion shamans are elementalists (in GW1, they could also be monks). Norn shamans are whatever the animal spirit in question prefers, and the shaman abilities are probably more like masteries that are unavailable to PCs than profession skills. Ritualists are ritualists - and, honestly, fighting ritualists feels a lot like fighting elementalists except with different summons.

If they were to take the new profession route, it'd be better to just go with ritualist. There's precedent to norn and charr at least having ritualists. Just make it like monks in that there were always a few still around, just not a lot until contact was re-established with Cantha.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Shamans I've met so far are mostly elementalists. There is even a Charr NPC you can pick as your friend, Euryale, who is an elementalist but is described in game as a shaman.

I feel like if they added a new class it should be priest. The priest/white mage/holy fantasy is one we don't have yet. Guardian is kinda close but feels more like a traditional knight or a paladin most of the time.

Edited by RadiantWolf.2058