Core thief build because someone said Core was trash

mdninjawarroir.1637

Hello chat, it is I. MD. You could read the name but I need to at least be somewhat entertaining in to the chat. 

In light of me getting told that core is trash in pvp content by a specter player, I will be posting my build so everyone can look at it and judge for themselves and maybe play for themselves too. Because this build is f2p friendly, I will post the trait names to make it easy for everyone to understand as well as their number placements for vets. Maybe the new players can learn trait numbers from me or something idk

(Note, this is a pvp build. I would say you could take it into WvW if mounts didn't exist but sadly that is not the case)

(Also for the love of Grenth can we please be allowed upload images straight form our pcs)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/539123551081332747/1020702673403641907/Capture.JPG

Equipment

- Weapons: Dagger/dagger, bow

- Amu; zerker

- Rune; Eagle

- Sigs; intellect + exploitation for dagger, cleansing + escape for bow

In case anyone doesn't want to click a sketchy discord link, I'll put the build in here

• Critical strikes; Assassin's fury, Sundering shade, hidden killer

1, 1 , 2

• Trickery; Lesser haste, Bountiful thief, Sleight of hand 

2, 1 , 2

• Deadly arts; Dagger training, Panic strike, executioner 

1, 2 ,3

And yes. This build is a oneshot gimmick. BUT, the those are what the traits are for. The skills is what set the build apart from generic oneshot builds 

1. Hide in shadows
    1. This is standard thief healing skill because the rest of them are trash expect for withdraw on daredevil
    2. The main condi clearer, but remember this is also your main 'stealth on demand' skill. It is important that you use this skill for stealth as much as you do for healing
  2. Shadow Portal
    1.  This is a very important skill for the build. It allows for teleportation back to a spot within 5,000 range. It can be used for the following
      1. Acts as an escape for yourself incase of danger. The classical usage. Remember, your life is the first thing that must be protected. Keep this in note for every following tip.
      2. Can act for allies provided you speak in a Voice Chat, 90% of the time they won't see your text in chat. Would not use it like this unless you 100% know your teammates can respond properly while fighting.
      3. You can draw in enemies towards yourself. 
        1. Note that this is more complex and would only recommend for vets. The idea is that you 'misplayed' and everyone 'focuses' you as target. Leaving your teammates alive to regroup. 
        2. You are meant to act as a distraction for your allies. 
        3. When they are safe or when you  can't distract anymore, use the skill and GET OUT OF THERE. 
        4. Note: You are more important then the ally you would attempt to save. If you die while being a distraction. You did nothing because the enemy team has 5 points, and another 5 points if they catch the ally in time. Then you're most likely going to get yelled at in chat. It's not a fun experience, trust me, I'm a pvp player. We've all been there once in our games.
      4. And the lastly and I love to use it, as a skill that lets you back decap, and I will show you how to use it
        1. Step 1, get to enemy zone. Most likely Far. 
        2. Step 2, start decaping, place the portal down.
          Step 2.5, if you see an enemy running towards you, only go for the decap. Decapping means that you don't completely cap the point and leave it netural. 
          1. This is where the idea splits depending if enemy shows up. If you are seen and an enemy rushs towards you. R U N, you don't need to fight the enemy. You can do other things because they will be busy recapping all progress. This is a good thing because you are now free to pick off targets and support in a team fight. I'm assuming everyone knows how to oneshot but I will put that in another text dump
          2. If the enemy caps it to full and your shadow portal is ready. ALWAYS WAIT AT LEAST 3 SECONDS. This part is very important because it depends on the enemies build. If they are fast and most likely used resources to get off of point, this would be easier. 
          3. Now that you are at the point and it is enemy capped. Decap it again and leave. If your team is in the mid fight and needs help, you are gonna be there to gank any over pushing or under pushing enemy. The only time you completely cap is when the whole team is safe and far is the only point that isn't capped. Here you can't repeat step 3.1 easily because waiting for the enemy to completely decap is a LONG TIME. Most times not worth it.
  3. infiltrator's Signet
    1. Compared to shadow portal, this is less important but still useful from time to time. This is your backup steal. This is also the part where I introduce the oneshot gimmick if you are new.
      1. Step 1, press dagger five. 
      2. Step 2, while dagger five skill is in the middle of being used (Shown by the yellow bar being filled), press Steal Or Infiltrator's Signet. (When asking , if steal or Signet. Always use the steal when it's off cooldown (cd) because it gives you more buffs. (Note: You  can chain both the Signet and the Steal together before dagger five is completely used. If you need extra range, use Signet first and then the Steal.)
      3. Step 3, press 1. It's always better when their character model is not facing you so you can deal more damage with backstab. If you land the face stab, it's ok. You can auto chain because you have automatic crit and quickness. If the enemy is low, use 1 heartseeker. I would not suggest spamming it unless you 100% know you won't get ganked and if the spam kills them
  4. Shadow step
    1. If you played thief, you know this is your very important skill. If you know how to use it, then skim over this
      1. Always have it at  the ready. The only reasonable way to 'use it' when it's ready is to use it with bow 5 teleport to cap home instantly AT THE START OF THE GAME.  bow 5 + shadow step + bow 5 again is the fastest way to cap home point because of how you can teleport instantly. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. 
      2. The only downside is that you have it on CD. Remember, you have shadow portal so you can place it down in case anyone rushs to you. And if any enemy get their before you, there's always the report button. No way should anyone get to home point faster then you and if they are teleporting harder then you, and not a thief, mesmer or guardian, they are most likely hacking. Then just gg. Or oneshot. 
      3. When it isn't on CD, you can use this as a free teleport incase you need to do the following
        1. Teleport to safety
        2. Teleport towards a zone
        3. Teleport towards an enemy
          1. Note, this can work like steal/ Signet if you followed 3.1.1, but you have to be really skilled for it to work because if you teleport too far from their back, you are going to miss. No one expects the shadow step port oneshot tho-
          2. This is really for vet teefs. Wouldn't recommend for beginners.
  5. Dagger storm
    1. This is your get out of jail free card. When your getting mobbed by the enemy team, or when there's a Sc*'em R*ng*r that has you marked. 
    2. This skills is an all attack evade. And reflects all projectiles. Always use it sparingly unless you want to screw over that one ranger in particular. I do that some times. It's fun. Trust me.

Now moving on for General tips. 

• This build is the embodiment of "thief's role in the pvp game". The build's core is meant to be a decapper first and fore most. Once every few times do you go up to someone and use your [redacted] to [redact] all over the enemy's [redacted] so hard their legs give out and then you can [redact] them so hard you make a warrior main blush.
  • Remember, your skill can be used for all kinds of plays. 
    • You can use the heal skill, Shadow step, then bow 5 towards the next zone. (Why I don't say bow 5, shadow step, and then bow 5 again, while it is faster, makes the ring more seeable. So if you are crossing mid on a map like Eternal C, the enemy team is going to C you coming.  
  • You still have weapon skills. Don't spam them though, it is very dangerous less you know what your doing.
    • Heart seeker spam for when you know the enemy is in clean up range
    • Death blossom for evade frames. 
    • Dancing dagger for bouncing ranged attacks. This can be spammed because it bounces off targets but can bounce to the last target. Makes for good dps against two weakened enemies.
    • Bow skills
      • Surprise attack can be more useful if you miss the backstab. That one second immb is enough for your team to automatically able to [redacted] the enemy and because they can't move, your teammates are most likely going to have their way with them. And when I mean way, I mean using them as a DPS dummy. 
        Spoiler

I like using this skill again Asura players and norns. You aren't allowed to question further 

Cluster is a great cleave skill. If they are all stacked up, just spam it and one might go down. Then you do it again. 

• bow three I wouldn't say is good, but might get you out of trouble, maybe? It's a dodge roll but not much else then that. Don't use it.

• Choke gas is for when the enemy does anything. They start rezzing teammates, choke gas them. If they're blocking, choke gas them. If they are using heavy perfumes, choke gas them. If they say 'daddy' or 'mommy' DO NOT CHOKE GAS, YOU WILL REGRET IT

• Bow Five, Shadow step arrow Is a very important off fight skill. It's a mini shadow step. If you need to be places more, use it. If you need to climb to higher ground to escape or cap a zone, USE IT. 

And yeah I think that should be everything chat. Remember, if any stinky specter 'player' says that your trash for playing Core thief, do your job well. Then you can rub it in their face for carrying the game hard. Then post screenshots and send them to me because I think it's funny how people reject thief values just so they can play Faster necromancer. 

Now don't get stabbed, and take care. If you need any advise, then just message me under this post.

Later o/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1.  You have no way of approaching target without being seen.

2.  You have zero condi cleanse.

3.  With all the reflects, aegis chances of first hit from stealth down 33%, minimum.

4.  The pressure to steal, cloak and dagger off of target then position for a backstab is way harder then you think.

5.  Escape when it fails is pretty abysmal with d/d. It's all or nothing now with all the condis  and tank builds out there.

I don't need to reiterate what others said.

Against someone who knows how to deal with thieves? This build will get rolled hard, as it provides very little to protect you from the common problems a thief will be facing. 

You might argue that you have escape in shadow step and infiltrators arrow. But... Infiltrators arrow got nerfed so hard that using it as an escape option is impossible without strong map knowledge and good positioning due to the 8init cost. And with how dynamic GW2 is. You're not maintaining positioning to use it without getting killed.

Shadowstep has a long cool down with no way of reducing it now. And many professions now have means of catching up to you.