Chinese in Guild Was2?

I am a Asian player.

When I click the client and start the game, there will be a download screen. 5 years ago it still said " downloading" and one day "downloading" becomes Chinese.

I thought Guild Wars 2 was going to open the Chinese option?

And more and more people has found that file folder has Chinese data.

Some player use 3rd party program and actually did it. They changed the Language to Chinese option!

I emailed Guild Wars 2 support team. Wondering if changing the language in this way will result in the account being banned. And why is there Chinese Data in it? But they avoided questions and could not respond. Let me come here to ask questions. 

Don't say "there is a China ver" I have told them that Guild Wars 2 in China does not open registration for other countries.

My English is not good, sorry.

8 minutes ago, Liondragon.2461 said:

I am a Asian player.

When I click the client and start the game, there will be a download screen. 5 years ago it still said " downloading" and one day "downloading" becomes Chinese.

Some player use 3rd party program and actually did it. They changed the Language to Chinese option!

I emailed Guild Wars 2 support team. Wondering if changing the language in this way will result in the account being banned. And why is there Chinese Data in it? But they avoided questions and could not respond. Let me come here to ask questions. 

Don't say "there is a China ver" I have told them that Guild Wars 2 in China does not open registration for other countries.

Yes but there is a chinese version is the answer to why there is chinese data in the files tho

From what I understand, you are asking if using a 3rd party program to change the language in the non-Chinese version of the GW2 client to Chinese will get your account banned.

I don't think anyone can answer definitively.  Using 3rd party programs to modify the client is usually against the Terms of Service and can get an account banned.  Chinese language localization is only supported in the Chinese version even though the data can exist in the non-Chinese version.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lay shenfay.3405 said:

Using the third equation to modify the language interface is against the rules of the game, but why is it allowed to use the DPS count(ex: Arcdps) by default? its very interesting 😙

ArcDPS isn't an add-on, it's a "dashboard". Missing feature forgotten by the game developers it seems. You wouldn't drive a car without a dashboard telling you your speed. Why should you play instanced content without a DPS meter to know what's going on.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Using a third party  software in essence will not get you banned. Even if it modify's the client. 
What will get you banned is breaking the terms of service. So if you modify the client in any way that is a violation of the terms of service you can get suspended.

That is the reason why e.g. Arc-dps is not an issue. It doesn't do anything that is against the terms of service and it is exactly known what it changes.

With most third party plugins the issue is that you do not exactly know how and where it modifies the client, but as it is your copy of the client you are responsible and therefor the one who get's banned. To complicate things further. Modifying the client in such a way it raises the suspicion of faul play, can get you banned. So it is very tricky and risky to run a third party program not being used a lot by others. You do not know what it really does and you are responsible for what it does

Edited by mercury ranique.2170
typo
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, Liondragon.2461 said:

I am a Asian player.

Here is the official response:  https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013625034-Policy-Third-Party-Programs

It does beg the question though, that if there is Chinese data, for example cut scene subtitles, text for windows/interface etc., baked into the data files, as to why they cannot allow players who are of Chinese origin living outside of China, to select this language officially?

Edited by Andy.5981

Running into this as well with my wife, as she's first language mandarin. From what I have seen the language IS in the language list, and some clever folk have managed to select it despite being hidden. Even if unofficial, it would be so awesome if ANET could allow folk to edit something to change that language or allow a command line switch to pick it even if they don't want to official show it to everyone (provided as-is).

It would allow the global community to enjoy this incredible game in a more comfortable way. 

Edited by Noxin.9276

On 9/30/2022 at 12:17 AM, Healix.5819 said:

It's not officially allowed, it's ignored.

This is questionable, as many addon developers have been official partners of ArenaNet. The general consensus is, if you don't use an addon to cheat (e.g a macro program) then its fair game.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

On 10/1/2022 at 1:14 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

This is questionable, as many addon developers have been official partners of ArenaNet. The general consensus is, if you don't use an addon to cheat (e.g a macro program) then its fair game.

Who?

I think you might be generalizing "add-ons" when the subject is about runtime modifications to an executable like what arcdps does.

From the official link above:

While, in general, we will not take action on an account for the use of such a utility program or modification, action is subject to ArenaNet's discretion. You use any third-party program at your own risk.

Note: ArenaNet does not review, approve, or endorse any third-party program. Each use of such a program is made at the account holder’s own risk.

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

From the official link above:

While, in general, we will not take action on an account for the use of such a utility program or modification, action is subject to ArenaNet's discretion. You use any third-party program at your own risk.

Note: ArenaNet does not review, approve, or endorse any third-party program. Each use of such a program is made at the account holder’s own risk.

Also from the same topic - https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013762153-Policy-Macros-and-Macro-Use

Most people use some sort of overlay like Taco Markers, or Macros, so while they don't support it, it's no secret that most people are still using 3rd party mods

5 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Who?

I think you might be generalizing "add-ons" when the subject is about runtime modifications to an executable like what arcdps does.

ArcDPS literally had an argreement with the devs to remove build templates if they were ever implemented in game and they did so, despite the outrage around that decision. I'm not sure why players think that addons are some black magic made without the devs' knowledge, its just that their use "can't be supported", which means anything that happens to your account while running one is your fault.

Hacks, cheats and bots are a completely different thing that they also monitor closely. In particular, macro programs are considered a cheat despite only generating input in legitimate ways.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

49 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

ArcDPS literally had an argreement with the devs to remove build templates if they were ever implemented in game and they did so, despite the outrage around that decision.

So?

I'm trying to understand your claim about addon developers being official Anet partners. AFAIK deltaconnected, the dev of arcdps, isn't in the Anet partner program nor did he need to be in order to work to make sure his addon wasn't violating any ToS.  I also couldn't find any addon dev on the wiki page that lists Anet official partners. That program seems to be for content creators like artists and streamers. So it's mystery as to who you are referring to.

Edited by Chaba.5410

Here's the list of ArenaNet Partners:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ArenaNet_Partner_Program#Current_ArenaNet_Partners

Not seeing any as application creators. Also, deltaconnected (arcdps) is not an ArenaNet Partner. 

Here's the Dev comments on arcdps:

ChrisCleary 142 points 7 months ago 

We have no problems with players using a 3rd party tool whose scope is only to collect and visualize combat data gathered directly from the game client. Anything beyond that scope is still considered a violation of the User Agreement.

ChrisCleary 136 points 7 months ago* 

You are correct. Combat data is defined as any information that is created due to the usage of skills or impact on players due to skill usage (by the player/s or an outside source).

Edit/Update: These statements are particularly targeted at a "DPS Meter" or functionality built around the capture of combat data. Features outside of that most likely fall under "Quality of Life" changes and should be removed from DPS meters if they want to be considered compliant with our rules.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170917193052/https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5svug8/the_head_of_the_snake_devs_here_ask_us_anything/ddi77u2/

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234