Toxic Oratuss - Tower of Nightmares achievement (The nightmare unveiled)

I'm trying to kill this dude in 3 minutes or less, but I can't seem to get it no matter how many times I try!

Best I can do is 4 minutes, the three enemies he spawns doesn't go down fast enough and they take up so much time. When I try to AOE them close to me, I end up almost dying.

(I play standard ranger, I haven't played through any expansions yet as I'm doing the story chronologically)

Any tips or tricks for this one? Do I just need better gear in general before trying this achievement?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Possibly better gear.  You could also ask in guild or map chat, or LFG, for someone to join you for that.  I'm sure someone would be happy to help or other players who are also having difficulty!

Will having more people in your party scale the enemies stats? If not, then getting some help sounds good! 😄 Or do you have any tips for quickly gearing a returning player? I only have very basic level 80 gear except for a few orange slots from the story quests. I am still relearning the game haha so I'm a little overwhelmed with all the type of items I have etc.

I did it on first try on my Dragonhunter. Just CC'd the Oratuss, then bursted it down fairly quickly. (Tip: Should be a piece of cake on Power Mechanist with the tons of CC you have and the insane damage.)

What's your Ranger's build and gear?

Edit: This is my current Ranger build, the fight went smoothly on it:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAc+VlZwiYSsP2JWaX+P/SccKA-zRRYfhQjwM6ur2Lj4S1KrKfuIBxfL8OtBA-e

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I did it on first try on my Dragonhunter. Just CC'd the Oratuss, then bursted it down fairly quickly. (Tip: Should be a piece of cake on Power Mechanist with the tons of CC you have and the insane damage.)

What's your Ranger's build and gear?

Edit: This is my current Ranger build, the fight went smoothly on it:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAc+VlZwiYSsP2JWaX+P/SccKA-zRRYfhQjwM6ur2Lj4S1KrKfuIBxfL8OtBA-e

oh! This is my setup: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POlAMFlZw+YhsOGKO8PaL9SuwSA-zR5YBJVIhqECRLRK2CKoLRgETUgiUCkM6IA-e

Standard ranger, haven't unlocked the expac specializations yet. The gear not filled in is yellow or below, the editor didn't let me choose yellows. I did look at builds and I think my setup is decent, but maybe yours would be better. My pets are decent too I guess but nothing amazing. Did you CC Oratuss so he couldn't spawn adds, or is that inevitable? My current build only has a knockback on Longbow 4 and boot kick on greatsword 4. How is the double ranged weapons setup? I often have to swap my pets before they die and they will sometimes die, if they tank too long. That's why I run a greatsword for the times when the enemies aggro me and are in melee range.

Edited by Khayle Zerker.3675

Definitely upgrade that gear. Yellow and below items, get them up to exotics and try to get them similar. I see you have a mix of Beserker, marauder, assassins, rampager, zealot and Sentinel. While you don't need everything exactly the same the more you can push towards higher power items (beserker being the favorite but marauder, assassin still give good power) the more damage you will do with that power (long bow) build.

Runes and sigils. It doesn't show any, try to get a set. Even if you can't afford an optimal set something will be better than nothing.

Your traits you have a mix of crit, defense and even some bleed in there. Maybe switch out Survival for Skirmishing trait line for more crit synergies. Maybe look up a build and try to play around with it. I know it's fun to play what's comfortable but if you want to beat that timer you may have to change it up a bit.

Breaking that Break Bar with CC will make the monster take extra damage for a short time and stun them. It's a great way to boost your damage, CC him down and rapid fire with some crit luck it will chunk the health bar. I see you run a lot of defensive abilities. Changing or out for a CC trap or maybe a spirit or signet for extra ferocity or might could push your kill time.

Hope that helps and good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Khayle Zerker.3675 said:

I'm trying to kill this dude in 3 minutes or less, but I can't seem to get it no matter how many times I try!

Best I can do is 4 minutes, the three enemies he spawns doesn't go down fast enough and they take up so much time. When I try to AOE them close to me, I end up almost dying.

5 hours ago, Khayle Zerker.3675 said:

Will having more people in your party scale the enemies stats? If not, then getting some help sounds good! 😄

All events will scale but having a 2nd person in the party will help a lot because it'll take some of the focus off you. This will minimize the need to run when on low health. In additions, you'll get to share boons.

As for gears, get all exotics at the barest minimum. Check TP for cheap items. Full set of cheap runes and sigils. If possible, and you have access to LW S3, farm mats for the selectable trinkets. Scroll down and look through the lists. Some of them are extremely easy to get, especially those from Bitterfrost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Khayle Zerker.3675 said:

oh! This is my setup: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POlAMFlZw+YhsOGKO8PaL9SuwSA-zR5YBJVIhqECRLRK2CKoLRgETUgiUCkM6IA-e

Standard ranger, haven't unlocked the expac specializations yet. The gear not filled in is yellow or below, the editor didn't let me choose yellows. I did look at builds and I think my setup is decent, but maybe yours would be better. My pets are decent too I guess but nothing amazing. Did you CC Oratuss so he couldn't spawn adds, or is that inevitable? My current build only has a knockback on Longbow 4 and boot kick on greatsword 4. How is the double ranged weapons setup? I often have to swap my pets before they die and they will sometimes die, if they tank too long. That's why I run a greatsword for the times when the enemies aggro me and are in melee range.

Silent already gave good advice. 🙂

As for a core Ranger build. oof! I imagine it being hard(er) to do on core, but I haven't played core Ranger in ages, so I could be wrong. 😉 I guess instead of the Soulbeast trait line, you could take the Wilderness Survival trait line (e.g., 1-1-1)?

Edit: You could replace the stances in my build with traps, for example. Also, your gear's stat combos make no sense. You either go full power or (like in my build) condition damage.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Khayle Zerker.3675 said:

Will having more people in your party scale the enemies stats? If not, then getting some help sounds good! 😄 Or do you have any tips for quickly gearing a returning player? I only have very basic level 80 gear except for a few orange slots from the story quests. I am still relearning the game haha so I'm a little overwhelmed with all the type of items I have etc.

Welcome back to GW2!   Your easiest way to get some exotic gear would be to purchase it on the trading post.  Most are inexpensive.  Do you dailies, earn two gold a day from that.  Otherwise yes, from achievements, story, random drops, that kind of thing. 

Lots of good advice and suggestions from the rangers!  Haven't played mine in a couple of years, so can't offer any thoughts on builds as mine is not current.  Don't hesitate to check sites like metabattle for build or gear ideas.

Don't worry about rushing, season 1 achievements aren't going anywhere.  Take your time, and definitely ask for someone to join you if needed.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RavensSorrow.6128 said:

Definitely upgrade that gear. Yellow and below items, get them up to exotics and try to get them similar. I see you have a mix of Beserker, marauder, assassins, rampager, zealot and Sentinel. While you don't need everything exactly the same the more you can push towards higher power items (beserker being the favorite but marauder, assassin still give good power) the more damage you will do with that power (long bow) build.

Runes and sigils. It doesn't show any, try to get a set. Even if you can't afford an optimal set something will be better than nothing.

Your traits you have a mix of crit, defense and even some bleed in there. Maybe switch out Survival for Skirmishing trait line for more crit synergies. Maybe look up a build and try to play around with it. I know it's fun to play what's comfortable but if you want to beat that timer you may have to change it up a bit.

Breaking that Break Bar with CC will make the monster take extra damage for a short time and stun them. It's a great way to boost your damage, CC him down and rapid fire with some crit luck it will chunk the health bar. I see you run a lot of defensive abilities. Changing or out for a CC trap or maybe a spirit or signet for extra ferocity or might could push your kill time.

Hope that helps and good luck!

That definitely helps, thanks for the suggestions! I will either go a build based on power (berserker) or condition damage (can't get viper gear yet but the Trading Post has cheap gear! Fortunately for me, I came back to the game sitting on 45 gold.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Silent already gave good advice. 🙂

As for a core Ranger build. oof! I imagine it being hard(er) to do on core, but I haven't played core Ranger in ages, so I could be wrong. 😉 I guess instead of the Soulbeast trait line, you could take the Wilderness Survival trait line (e.g., 1-1-1)?

Edit: You could replace the stances in my build with traps, for example. Also, your gear's stat combos make no sense. You either go full power or (like in my build) condition damage.

I'll focus on either direct power (berserker) with longbow or your setup with condition damage. Looks good! I'll look into other options for utility skills and the third traitline, thanks.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Welcome back to GW2!   Your easiest way to get some exotic gear would be to purchase it on the trading post.  Most are inexpensive.  Do you dailies, earn two gold a day from that.  Otherwise yes, from achievements, story, random drops, that kind of thing. 

Lots of good advice and suggestions from the rangers!  Haven't played mine in a couple of years, so can't offer any thoughts on builds as mine is not current.  Don't hesitate to check sites like metabattle for build or gear ideas.

Don't worry about rushing, season 1 achievements aren't going anywhere.  Take your time, and definitely ask for someone to join you if needed.  

Thanks 😄 There's some solid advice here, yeah! Definitely helps. I also found cheap ish gear in the trading post that I could go for either berserker or conditional damage. Thankfully my account has 45 gold to it so I can buy these things!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Khayle Zerker.3675 said:

That definitely helps, thanks for the suggestions! I will either go a build based on power (berserker) or condition damage (can't get viper gear yet but the Trading Post has cheap gear! Fortunately for me, I came back to the game sitting on 45 gold.

Like I said in my post don't spend all your gold. The more important part is you have a plan and stick too it. It will help you focus. Marauder isn't bad if you want some vitality for survivability. Though I think practicing the fight and timing your dodges/heals will also be effective for survival. Don't forget Runes and Sigils! These really do add power if you stick to one set. Again doesn't have to be top of the line but going from having none to a set you will feel it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Khayle Zerker.3675 said:

For core Ranger you're probably looking for something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POyAc+VlVw+YWsN2JW6PnL9JkC-zxQY1gMKJdc5HCao8KUAdIBM5c0vCA-e

This is what is known as a min/maxed build, which is set up to crit cap with Fury within the limitations of cheap Trading Post gear, except for a few trinkets from the Laurel merchant to round out the stats and give you some AR. The rest of the build traits into power, condition damage and ferocity. This build will increase your damage by at least five times over what you were using.

Don't forget to put in the stats you want then sort by price, not just buy something that shows up.

The runes need you to own Heart of Thorns to buy them off the TP, I think (and they're expensive), but should get you by until you can grind out Viper's later on in HoT.

Some tips:

1. Remember you can carry two full sets of equipment and three separate builds and switch between them at any time using the little arrow above the weaponswap button, so you can adjust for each encounter. This is an essential skill and you will need it many times later in the game.

2. Install ArcDPS (don't worry, its perfectly okay to use) and show self stats.

3. Go into Lion's Arch into the raid lobby in the south of the map and enter the room by the bank by yourself. Inside there is a golem spawner that lets you test your damage both in solo (aka "bring your own boons") and group (all boons on you and all conditions on the enemy) situations.

You'll need to learn these things soon, as story difficulty keeps ramping up until it peaks with Path of Fire and just kind of stays the same after that. Heart of Thorns is especially a big leap after LWS2, with Maguuma being several times more difficult than even the hardest content from Orr.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508