Anyone else not like Kasmeer Meade? (Minor spoilers, I guess).

Shrike Arghast.3856

Full disclosure: I didn't know until about 20 minutes ago that she was LGBT (I've been playing the story out of order - wanted to get the mounts first), but it really shouldn't have any bearing on any of this. I couldn't care less if she was attracted to shoes or rock cornish game hens, much less the same sex. 

Spoiler

Simply put, I hate Kas. And it has everything to do with snobbery. I cannot *stand* how pretentious and aloof she is. While the other members of Dragon's Watch seem to generally look to the Commander for guidance (perhaps not as supplicants or junior members, but simply as the person who is often most experienced), Kas is always playing it fast and loose - as if she's not actually a member of the group, or isn't willing to take risks like everyone else. Like, take the Crystal Desert nonsense - Kas essentially goes on vacation for most of the campaign. You battle the Forged while she's "busy" praying. If you choose the wrong faction at the outset of the story (re: anything but her beloved Sunspears), she scolds you. And her entire motivation for participating in act 2 is essentially just to fangirl Kormir (which is hilarious, since the goddess pretty much ignores her when you do actually meet). 

While I genuinely enjoy the banter from characters like Canach and Rytlock, Kas comes off as joyless and excruciatingly earnest - the type of person who can't crack a joke, let alone make one. I make a big effort IRL to avoid hanging around those people - it bothers me a lot that I have to put up with one in GW2. Because, frankly, given the choice, I'd eject her from DW.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

I lost it at cornish game hens 😂. Keep in mind Kas is young, trying to make her way in the world after her family has lost rank and privilege and dealing with the disgrace, and she's finding her own place and sense of purpose.   She's nobility, not as jovial and earthy as many of our other companions, not as jaded or world weary. 

I personally hate the hiccuping.  It's annoys me to no end.  

She's more than just the pretty girl though, and while not perfect, she's a devout friend and diplomat.  

It's ok to not like a character.  Braham and Taimi are frequently disliked for various reasons.  They all shine in their moments though and annoy in others.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I lost it at cornish game hens 😂. Keep in mind Kas is young, trying to make her way in the world after her family has lost rank and privilege and dealing with the disgrace, and she's finding her own place and sense of purpose.   She's nobility, not as jovial and earthy as many of our other companions, not as jaded or world weary. 

I personally hate the hiccuping.  It's annoys me to no end.  

She's more than just the pretty girl though, and while not perfect, she's a devout friend and diplomat.  

It's ok to not like a character.  Braham and Taimi are frequently disliked for various reasons.  They all shine in their moments though and annoy in others.  

I agree with all of this.

I think the idea with Dragon's Watch (even before it had a name) was to include a wide variety of personalities, motivations, experiences etc. so the writers would have characters for all kinds of situations. On that basis I don't think anyone is going to like all of them, or agree with their decisions. I thought Kasmeer had a massive over-reaction to the start of the PoF story, but I'm pretty sure that was done to justify not having her there so they could focus on other characters. But I don't think she's completely unlikable, and I think she actually grows up a lot over the course of the story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Each of Dragon's Watch characters has annoyed the heck out of me on occasion (and don't get me started on the childish quarrels between the members of Destiny's Edge). The writing has been pretty poor at times.

The only companion whose company I've truly enjoyed thoughout the whole story is Logan Thackeray.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 6
  • Confused 4

I'll echo that Logan Thackery and perhaps Canach are the only characters I truly enjoy/ care about atm. Eir was cool... but she's also now dead. Eagerly awaiting a Zojja return, too.

Kas' issue is the one most NPCs face in GW2 - her biggest crime is that she's just terribly boring. That said, I think my LEAST favorite is Taimi... mostly because she has an answer for pretty much everything, making most characters (including yours) moot. Taimi made PoF painful to play.

Edited by pallas.8150
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, chronometria.3708 said:

In terms of human noble mesmers, I would rather spend time with kasmeer than countess anise.

Agreed. Anise is a horrible character. self-righteous, patronizing, and somewhat untrustworthy. She and Livia ruined the Shining Blade for me in Season 3 (still my most hated story mission to date).

• Like 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Agreed. Anise is a horrible character. self-righteous, patronizing, and somewhat untrustworthy. She and Livia ruined the Shining Blade for me in Season 3 (still my most hated story mission to date).

Yeah, Anise is... really tough. She makes nobility in general look horrible. Which is a shame, since chances are pretty good that more than 1/3rd of the human playbase chose a noble birth as their character background (why do I guess that it's more than 1/3rd? Because royal blood is of really high appeal to a lot of us - in most cases more appealing than being poor [which is a reality that I'm pretty damned familiar with, unfortunately]). 

Edited by Shrike Arghast.3856
  • Like 1

It’s all subjective. I am neutral to most of the npcs, but taimi and canach are my favorites. And later on gorrik. I dislike braham. It depends what kind of ppl you like just like irl. Some you get good chemistry with and others you don’t. They keep a variety of personalities to cater to all players. 

• Like 2

Oh, it's fine. By that point there are only very few major NPCs i still like. And quite a number i actively dislike. (although Kasmeer is pretty neutral for me - most of the time i forget she even exists). If you are talking about being pretentious however, it's not Kasmeer but Marjory that behaves that way. That girl is acting and controlling her behaviour pretty much 100% of the time. And by now that noir detective act where she keeps speaking with weird emphasis, and keeps pretending to be mysterious, inteligent and sarcastically humorous has grown to be quite annoying for me.

• Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Oh, it's fine. By that point there are only very few major NPCs i still like. And quite a number i actively dislike. (although Kasmeer is pretty neutral for me - most of the time i forget she even exists). If you are talking about being pretentious however, it's not Kasmeer but Marjory that behaves that way. That girl is acting and controlling her behaviour pretty much 100% of the time. And by now that noir detective act where she keeps speaking with weird emphasis, and keeps pretending to be mysterious, inteligent and sarcastically humorous has grown to be quite annoying for me.

The noir hard boiled detective theme just seems weird to me in GW2.  Her emphasis is odd at best, and creepy at other times.  Later in a living world season she calls the commander "boss" the entire time and it peels the enamel from my teeth every time she says it.  I do like them both in EoD, and I think the writing for them both had become less cheesy.

• Like 3

Early on, kas grated on me pretty hard. Her demeanor was always a bit too guarded behind a persona of politeness and naivete, which made her feel a bit too disingenuous since she was mostly used as a lie detector, personal portal bot, or a key for the lock of krytan court politics and didn't really have much time to be a person without the burden of making the plot go.

Though, I will say, in ibs, something happens to kasmeer's writing that makes me actually like her. (Its her banter that actually has her taking the time and reacting to and supporting other people's experiences and not only the stuff that's just immediately relevant to her/the commander)

Edited by Roda.7468
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

I for one do not mind most of the characters.  I feel like perhaps most of them are like people in real life... people in real life tend to be boring, and you do not see them all of the time so you know barely anything about them (so no character development.)  And I know characters and people are more interesting when fleshed out.

But maybe that is an issue?  Most of the characters in GW2 are not fleshed out like characters in a TV series or a movie... but more portrayed as real people with real issues.

When was the last time you were honestly concerned with or found most people you met in real life actually interesting?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ashadow.6874 said:

I for one do not mind most of the characters.  I feel like perhaps most of them are like people in real life... people in real life tend to be boring, and you do not see them all of the time so you know barely anything about them (so no character development.)  And I know characters and people are more interesting when fleshed out.

But maybe that is an issue?  Most of the characters in GW2 are not fleshed out like characters in a TV series or a movie... but more portrayed as real people with real issues.

When was the last time you were honestly concerned with or found most people you met in real life actually interesting?

The problem with that is you are saying that fiction and writing should not be compelling.

Edited by pallas.8150
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Ashadow.6874 said:

I expect that going through constant life and death experiences with them year after year, living in the field with them, and so on might impact my concern for them. Probably moreso than for someone I just happened to meet in passing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blockhead Magee.3092 said:

Kill them off and bring in some fresh faces. 

This is my general problem when someone says they don't like a character. Their go to is always just "kill them off". There are far more options to removing characters from stories than killing them. Almost as uncreative as you find the characters you are asking to get killed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1