Truth to previewed Ranger changes

Trevor Boyer.6524

3 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

It actually lowers Barrage down to a 6 second recharge. You have to stay on each swap for 9 seconds. So the Barrage's CD is essentially 9s to 10s realistically.

So you can use Barrage on swap, wait 9s for swap, swap and use Barrage again after the swap triggers Quick Draw, so on and so forth, I get it.

You're right, the use of it this way allows a consistent flow of Barrage about once per 9s to 10s due to how low the Quick Draw puts the ICD. I however, would still never use double LB even in the back lines of a zerg for 101 reasons that I'm not going to get into in this thread.

Yeah you are right but you weapon swap before you barrage so it roughly works out to be 9 second cooldown. 6 seconds + 2 1/2 cast time, anyway your longest cooldown is the weapons swap so either way.

I only ever use this during a siege then the switch to Druid when I'm running around with the zerg, I would never keep up otherwise. I did try using an Untamed variant with a Zerg which was better since you had access to super speed but the cooldowns where still very long even if technically you could reset the barrage even faster with the Longbow ambush(twice per weapons swap).

11 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Oh I see, thanks for pointing this out.

I have nothing more to say here.

This is very good news.

This, too, is in the notes just prior:

The big update for soulbeast is the removal of its tradeoff; soulbeasts will once again be able to swap pets while in combat.

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

The big update for soulbeast is the removal of its tradeoff; soulbeasts will once again be able to swap pets while in combat.

That is another tone deaf notes from the devs: Soulbeast already has a trade-off when merging which is losing the pet. Pets brings "ranged" utility (because the damage keeps getting gutted down) in form of CCs within the pet leash (which was also nerfed from the 5000 range it used to have to current 1200) .  

So the correct sentence would be :

The big update for soulbeast is the removal of its double tradeoff; soulbeasts will once again be able to swap pets while in combat.

The truth about ranger changes?

SOULBEAST

PvP - Probably new sidenode builds will rise up thanks to the new Eternal Bond.

WvW gvg/zerg - Still the same immob build but with better Stance radius.

DRUID

PvP - CA still 20 sec cooldown so you will never be good at support since you have to wait 20 seconds to heal your allies.

WvW - You can't really compete di Firebrand / Tempest /Scrapper as long you don't have any offensive pressure, unique buffs, and still have to carry a pet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kappa.2036 said:

The truth about ranger changes?

SOULBEAST

PvP - Probably new sidenode builds will rise up thanks to the new Eternal Bond.

WvW gvg/zerg - Still the same immob build but with better Stance radius.

DRUID

PvP - CA still 20 sec cooldown so you will never be good at support since you have to wait 20 seconds to heal your allies.

WvW - You can't really compete di Firebrand / Tempest /Scrapper as long you don't have any offensive pressure, unique buffs, and still have to carry a pet.

The radious on stance share is HUGE for WvW group play. They will be able to share Doliak stance way more reliably, which is arguably the strongest utility skill in the game, they also have immortal pets. All the other ranger specs have to suffer from easily killable pets, which still ramains, unbeknownst to me as to why it hasn't been addressed as of yet, a massive, massive weakness in group fights.

We should see more Soulbeasts in WvW gvg/zerg fights after this patch.

I also agree with your Druid takes. CA should go back to 10s in PvP. It will still be a niche pick in WvW.

Edited by Khenzy.9348
  • Haha 1

I can see why it's a pain in PvP, but the resetting of skills to reduce cd is the only reason Untamed is at all viable in PvE raids/strikes and it's fun to me to HAUnt/HAUnt tank or Alac DPS or DPS occasionally. Reduce it in PvP, but unless it gets buffed elsewhere leave it in PvE. And it's worthless outside of sometimes picking off roamers in WvW.

14 hours ago, Khenzy.9348 said:

The radious on stance share is HUGE for WvW group play.

No is not. If the radius of the stances where the only thing keeping them down, stance share soulbeast would be a thing in organized wvw where they know how to hug each other. It is not.

So your point is invalid and Soulbeast will be irrelevant. Even more, now instead having more control over who gets your boons (aka the friends closer to you) now you will be sharing the stance buff with randos at 600 radious. 

Imo the future changes for ranger look great. Yeah untamed could used small shave but it's not insanely broken so it not being nerfed this patch isn't huge issue. The changes to soulbeast seem amazing, being able to swap pets while merged will make the soulbeast main mechanic way less clunky and far more fun than it's current clunky asf form. Players will always choose fun in a game over balance, true balance lol man be fun if all classes had same skills and numbers, think of the possibilities. Soulbeast may need some slight adjustments to it after the changes settle in but imo the being able to swap while merged is definitely going in the right direction, that one change imo is the most exciting change I've seen in the game in years.

• Confused 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mell.4873 said:

I literally can't use smokescale since I don't have any leap finishers

wait till you find out that the f3 from smokescale is a leapfinisher xD

i think its suuper cringe how you call yourself a good player and then poop out stuff like this...

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

wait till you find out that the f3 from smokescale is a leapfinisher xD

i think its suuper cringe how you call yourself a good player and then poop out stuff like this...

The Smokescale itself doesn't have a leap finisher you mean the merge skill.
Worldly Impact would only give me 3 seconds so it would not be enough to warrant using it. I get more use out of Turtle's barrier or Spider's family skill to root my enemies; in terms of escaping,

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

The Smokescale itself doesn't have a leap finisher you mean the merge skill.
Worldly Impact would only give me 3 seconds so it would not be enough to warrant using it. I get more use out of Turtle's barrier or Spider's family skill to root my enemies; in terms of escaping,

Literally 3 seconds of not being targetable directly by enemies is better than using immobilise on enemies which can be removed or straight up negated by resistance. Stealth > everything else in regards to disengaging.

55 minutes ago, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Literally 3 seconds of not being targetable directly by enemies is better than using immobilise on enemies which can be removed or straight up negated by resistance. Stealth > everything else in regards to disengaging.

Not when rooting them can also be used to chase people as well. Again its not my playstyle to mess around with stealth fields when I'm trying not to die, even the Longbow stealth is hard enough for me to use when I have to hit them to trigger it.

I could definitely see and argument for using a leap finisher from Greatsword then F3 after that (or vise versa) for a nice 6 second stealth.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Not when rooting them can also be used to chase people as well.

You can't use entangle to "chase". Please stop using the wiki to discuss the class and play with it for once. 
It is like everything you say is plain wrong. Same as the balance decisions the devs do in relation to the forest boi. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, anduriell.6280 said:

You can't use entangle to "chase". Please stop using the wiki to discuss the class and play with it for once. 
It is like everything you say is plain wrong. Same as the balance decisions the devs do in relation to the forest boi. 

I guess wrong word, well I stop people running away.

• Confused 2