Was void always a thing or something they just completely made up?

Serperior.6541

8 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Elder Dragons consume ley-lines, and ley-lines is the combination of all magic flowing through the world (how ley lines are different from the void, which is also the combination of all magic, is left... completely unexplained unfortunately).

Well put. Thank you for this.

• Confused 1

On 9/18/2022 at 9:52 PM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The idea and appearance of The Void itself is made up for EoD.

However, since Season 2 we've been establishing that killing the Elder Dragons would be bad, and the common terminology for that is basically "the world falls into a void".

However, the Void was said to have been there since the day Soo-Won had children. It corrupted them long before we disturbed the "Eternal Alchemy's" balance by killing Elder Dragons.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

However, the Void was said to have been there since the day Soo-Won had children. It corrupted them long before we disturbed the "Eternal Alchemy's" balance by killing Elder Dragons.

Yes, and this was said in End of Dragons.

It was created by the devs for End of Dragons, introduced into the lore in End of Dragons, and that lore spans the whole history of Guild Wars in effect.

• Thanks 3

On 10/17/2022 at 4:51 PM, Mykhel.6532 said:

I believe they made it up after writing themselves into a corner during IBS. Primordus was a joke. All the secrecy, allure, and temptation-based intelligence of Jormag was gone in an instant with the most obvious bait in history. Same with the Soo-Won creation crap. Basically: I was with the void at the start. Why didn't the void kill me? Don't know. Why did the void allow me to create Tyria in the midst of it? Don't know. Why did the Void let me create and raise 5 children who would "hold it back?" Don't know. Why would I create 5 of the worst calamities to ever come to Tyria knowing the immense suffering they would cause and their horrible fates of death? Because she was lonely, guys...Ohhhh. Guess it's cool then.

Because Void, at that time, wasn't sapient. It's even mentioned in EoD with the dragonvoid declaring "The cycle ends... We are truly awake"

Also, you are applying a massive amount of hindsight to Soo-won, or massive amounts of foresight/knowing the future to her by saying she KNEW what the elder dragons would do... thousands of years later, or more (tens of thousands?) You are acting as if Soo-won knew everything that would happen, and personally knew and felt the suffering of mortal races. She did not. You also seem to act as if bad parents... can't exist?  Either way it's completely biased and I believe has been mentioned before that using that as a jab against her makes no sense, as it goes "Soo-Won always knew they'd go crazy and kill civilizations from the very start and just went ahead and do it." It's like saying Shmi raised Anakin and Obiwan trained Anakin, knowing explicitly he'd go evil and slaughter the jedi order and countless others.

Soon-Won is the worst character in all of GW2 in my opinion. The whole story is how she protected Cantha and how she was just a sad wittle soul who just wanted to be happy... at the cost of billions of untold Tyrian lives, incredible catastrophes, creating 5 children without an ounce of morals, decency, or even an understanding of what their role was in "holding back the void." PRIME parenting. The Void is literally never mentioned by Mordremoth, Kralkatorrik, or Jormag (the only Elder Dragons before Aurene that spoke). You can argue Kralk was corrupted by the void... but it was always construed to me that eating fellow Elder Dragon's magic, a huge piece of Balthazar, and almost the entirety of the Mists can corrupt a body regardless of how powerful... BUT now it's the void I guess.

First part I cover above. You are outright trying to say that Soo-Won knew everything that would've happened and actually understood mortal lives. "Those that face eternity easily forget what a lifetime means, what an ending means." was in the first teaser.  And again, bad parents exist yo.

Second, the other dragons may not have fully understood what the void was. Especially as they grew more focused on consuming and hoarding magic before falling asleep and leaking it out.

I think this was also a budget decision. Focus everything you have on Cantha, make it look great (no arguments there; great job design team), then we can reuse the crap out all our aspect models and just make them look chaotic! Oooh. Scary! Alright! Now bring back an old enemy with a NEW face...AETHERBLADES! Good! Who's the new face? We haven't had an Asura as a major bad guy yet... BAM! ANKKA! Why's she jaded? (Lol... I laugh at how stupid this was) How about she was stuck in the Fractals and had to kill herself thousands of times to get out... GREAT!(lmao. Feels like I'm on Reddit with that one). Now, reskin the rest of the monsters! Expansion done!

***Of course, I know there's much more to the expac... I'm partially teasing... I love my jade bot and Turtle mount. So much fun! Definitely want future mods.

A: The void "minions" actually makes sense when you point to the dragon's own personalities affecting their magic. Combo with how the void, when yanked from Soo-Won declares itself truly awake and aware. Dragon's end meta has them dealing with void outbreaks linked to specific dragons, and thus we have void destroyers or risen type enemies.

The Aetherblades weren't stuck in the fractals, they raided them. Over and over to keep their ships repaired and the crews fed as they stayed in the mists for nearly a decade. She was messed up from the Thaumanova Reactor incident, and after being stuck in the mists and seeing things just repeat in cycles over and over, yeah, she got messed up even worse. 

6 hours ago, Mykhel.6532 said:

There was such incredible potential with what Primordus and Jormag could have become after Kralk... I argue they could've had their own expansion... Tyrians caught in between the most ravenous sibling rivalry in history. Jormag's cunning and Primordus' brutality could have changed maps, boiled/frozen seas, rose more islands from the deep, thawed out ancient ruins, etc... but instead, they wanted to get their ideological/political crap in so we got the terrible garbage of IBS.

Anet wasn't going to do a Cataclysm style remake of the world, but there are implications they planned to go to the centaur homelands north of Kryta at one point.

But resources got diverted, people complained, and yes, IBS didn't end up as good as it may have been. But we would've gotten the Charr resolution either way, as IBS literally started with it. And with everybody screaming about how the Charr must return to war as if they are dumb warcraft orcs, Anet needed to slap that down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Yes, and this was said in End of Dragons.

It was created by the devs for End of Dragons, introduced into the lore in End of Dragons, and that lore spans the whole history of Guild Wars in effect.

I know this, it is what I said in my initial response. 😉

My point was that you made it sound like the imbalance from killing Elder Dragons was what created the Void, but that is inaccurate as it was there before.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I know this, it is what I said in my initial response. 😉

My point was that you made it sound like the imbalance from killing Elder Dragons was what created the Void, but that is inaccurate as it was there before.

I guess if we were to stretch the meaning of some word choices I took... Not quite sure how "The idea and appearance of The Void itself is made up for EoD." or "killing the Elder Dragons would be bad," implies that killing the Elder Dragons created the Void, though.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, bullsxtwo.1027 said:

A bit late of a reply but during Mordremoth's fight, he references the void. 

Where specifically did you think he mentioned it? I didn't find any mention in Hearts and Minds.

And was is specifically Void with an upper case V, or a general use of the term void with a lower case v?

I believe they made it up after writing themselves into a corner during IBS. Primordus was a joke. All the secrecy, allure, and temptation-based intelligence of Jormag was gone in an instant with the most obvious bait in history. Same with the Soo-Won creation crap. Basically: I was with the void at the start. Why didn't the void kill me? Don't know. Why did the void allow me to create Tyria in the midst of it? Don't know. Why did the Void let me create and raise 5 children who would "hold it back?" Don't know. Why would I create 5 of the worst calamities to ever come to Tyria knowing the immense suffering they would cause and their horrible fates of death? Because she was lonely, guys...Ohhhh. Guess it's cool then.

Soon-Won is the worst character in all of GW2 in my opinion. The whole story is how she protected Cantha and how she was just a sad wittle soul who just wanted to be happy... at the cost of billions of untold Tyrian lives, incredible catastrophes, creating 5 children without an ounce of morals, decency, or even an understanding of what their role was in "holding back the void." PRIME parenting. The Void is literally never mentioned by Mordremoth, Kralkatorrik, or Jormag (the only Elder Dragons before Aurene that spoke). You can argue Kralk was corrupted by the void... but it was always construed to me that eating fellow Elder Dragon's magic, a huge piece of Balthazar, and almost the entirety of the Mists can corrupt a body regardless of how powerful... BUT now it's the void I guess.

I think this was also a budget decision. Focus everything you have on Cantha, make it look great (no arguments there; great job design team), then we can reuse the crap out all our aspect models and just make them look chaotic! Oooh. Scary! Alright! Now bring back an old enemy with a NEW face...AETHERBLADES! Good! Who's the new face? We haven't had an Asura as a major bad guy yet... BAM! ANKKA! Why's she jaded? (Lol... I laugh at how stupid this was) How about she was stuck in the Fractals and had to kill herself thousands of times to get out... GREAT!(lmao. Feels like I'm on Reddit with that one). Now, reskin the rest of the monsters! Expansion done!

***Of course, I know there's much more to the expac... I'm partially teasing... I love my jade bot and Turtle mount. So much fun! Definitely want future mods.

Sounds like the plot to WandaVision.

The more important question is: Is the Haze an identical twin of the Void? Has the Void remained hidden under the Jade? Or does this have nothing to do with the Void at all? Can demons produce magic similar to Void magic? Is Void even a specific type of magic or just twisted full ley line magic? Is ley magic even good magic as it hurts us? Is there even some benefiting magic? Is Aurene going to end corrupted? If she monitors magic, does she know about the haze? If she does, why didn´t she let us know? Can the haze hide from her for the demon magic is not a natural part of dragon spectrum of Tyria magic? Is there another Abaddon (**looks at Menzies**)?

So many questions, not enough answers.

19 hours ago, bullsxtwo.1027 said:

A bit late of a reply but during Mordremoth's fight, he references the void. 

Except he doesn't? He does say that without him there would be oblivion, but that's just god-complex of an Elder Dragon who has been stated to believing itself the sustenance of life / the world, and wanting to destroy/have the world:

Mordremoth: Become part of me and endure...
Mordremoth: ...or fall forever into oblivion.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hearts_and_Minds

Faolain: You cannot stop the inevitable. You cannot silence the pulse of this world.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bitter_Harvest

Voice of Mordremoth: Do you dare challenge me?
Voice of Mordremoth: I am the world. I am all.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Jungle_Provides

Voice of Mordremoth: This world is mine.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Torn_from_the_Sky

Pact Commander: He was Soundless, we believe. (If sylvari)
Master of Wind: He was open—almost obsessive—about that. He claimed his connection to the Pale Tree and your Dream made him less of an individual. He called you all "the hive." I don't believe he meant to flatter.
Pact Commander: In your opinion, did he show any signs of corruption by an Elder Dragon?
Master of Wind: It didn't occur to me until after the crash as I tried to understand what had just happened. There were signs, bursts of anger. He said odd things about believing the world must be destroyed.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reunion_with_the_Pact

In context, it's pretty likely the writers intent wasn't foreshadowing the Void, but just that Mordremoth is egotistical and proclaiming that he alone is necessary for survival.

Additionally there are lines by Caithe where she worries the sylvari will all suddenly drop dead when Mordremoth dies - for some reason, which is weird given risen survived Zhaitan's death, and she knew this well.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 1

I'm curious about an aspect of the Void that I haven't seen discussed elsewhere. The form of the Void that we see in EoD is this shadowy matter infused with bright colors (to represent the different Elder Dragons, I'd assume). We've seen a similar effect (albeit, without the bright colors) twice before in relation to the Dragons: in Mordremoth's mind and inside Kralkatorrik.

In Hearts and Minds, when we first enter Mordremoth's mind, we see a shadowy version of the Mouth of Mordremoth slithering around. IIRC, the same shadowy being appears later as we're about to attack the avatar of Mordremoth's mind, and when we're about to kill Trahearne and with him the last vestige of the jungle Dragon. 

In Descent, we fight Kralkatorrik's Torment. At certain phases there is a storm that seems to stun Kralkatorrik's Torment and transforms it into a shadowy version of itself. 

Both of these shadowy beings are, in my opinion, quite similar to how the Void is portrayed in EoD. I've been wondering whether it's at all intentional or purely a coincidence. In both instances we're technically inside a Dragon where they're most vulnerable. Could the Void have revealed itself in these situations?

29 minutes ago, SamMathias.1803 said:

I'm curious about an aspect of the Void that I haven't seen discussed elsewhere. The form of the Void that we see in EoD is this shadowy matter infused with bright colors (to represent the different Elder Dragons, I'd assume). We've seen a similar effect (albeit, without the bright colors) twice before in relation to the Dragons: in Mordremoth's mind and inside Kralkatorrik.

In Hearts and Minds, when we first enter Mordremoth's mind, we see a shadowy version of the Mouth of Mordremoth slithering around. IIRC, the same shadowy being appears later as we're about to attack the avatar of Mordremoth's mind, and when we're about to kill Trahearne and with him the last vestige of the jungle Dragon. 

In Descent, we fight Kralkatorrik's Torment. At certain phases there is a storm that seems to stun Kralkatorrik's Torment and transforms it into a shadowy version of itself. 

Both of these shadowy beings are, in my opinion, quite similar to how the Void is portrayed in EoD. I've been wondering whether it's at all intentional or purely a coincidence. In both instances we're technically inside a Dragon where they're most vulnerable. Could the Void have revealed itself in these situations?

I think it's just supposed to be an evil'ish and corrupted looking particle effect. In Mordremoth's case in HoT, it could also represent the Death and Shadow spectrums of Zhaitan that he absorbed.

If there's any deeper connection than that, it'd be no more than Arenanet looking back and purposely making the void look similar, in a superficial attempt to connect the Void to things that were created when the Void likely didn't even exist as a concept.

I remember Arenanet stating in a blog post that they didn't know what to next after Season 4. If that memory is accurate, it'd be weird for the Void to have been planned any time before that.

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 3/1/2023 at 7:31 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

I think it's just supposed to be an evil'ish and corrupted looking particle effect. In Mordremoth's case in HoT, it could also represent the Death and Shadow spectrums of Zhaitan that he absorbed.

Isn't that what the void is, a twisted combination of all their magic? With that and what he says, it's hard to believe there isn't a connection.

On 3/1/2023 at 7:31 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

I remember Arenanet stating in a blog post that they didn't know what to next after Season 4. If that memory is accurate, it'd be weird for the Void to have been planned any time before that.

Just because they don't know exactly doesn't mean they don't have a general idea. If you look back at the story, the events involving the ED in S3 were obviously originally meant to lead into IBS but the expansion got greenlit and they had to put it on hold. As for S3 there are signs it has been planned for a long time or possibly was made using unused areas as the place you kill Caudecus had been in the game for years at that point and had simply not been used. 
If nothing else it shows Anet has a general idea for the story far ahead of time.

9 minutes ago, bullsxtwo.1027 said:

Isn't that what the void is, a twisted combination of all their magic? With that and what he says, it's hard to believe there isn't a connection.

There might be a connect retroactively applied connection now, but it didn't exist when the content was created, because the Void didn't even exist as a concept. That particle effect was likely just put there because they thought it looked fitting.

It's just like there is a connection between the Lich King(s) and the Jailer in WoW now, but the connection didn't exist in Warcraft 3 and Wrath of the Lich King, because the Jailer literally didn't even exist as an idea.

If, by some unfathomable happenstance, the Void was planned earlier than when they decided kill off Season 5 half-way through, they ought to have done far better than repainting existing assets, putting an ugly particle effect on them and calling it a day.

Edited by Fueki.4753

2 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

There might be a connect retroactively applied connection now, but it didn't exist when the content was created, because the Void didn't even exist as a concept. That particle effect was likely just put there because they thought it looked fitting.

It's just like there is a connection between the Lich King(s) and the Jailer in WoW now, but the connection didn't exist in Warcraft 3 and Wrath of the Lich King, because the Jailer literally didn't even exist as an idea.

If, by some unfathomable happenstance, the Void was planned earlier than when they decided kill off Season 5 half-way through, they ought to have done far better than repainting existing assets, putting an ugly particle effect on them and calling it a day.

Not to be rude, but it sounds like you are just salty. 

From what I can tell the reason EoD void is like it is, is because Mother and The deep sea dragon were probably originally meant to be one and the same but they had written themselves into a corner as they wouldn't have time to fully revamp underwater combat for EoD and as such had to merge the 2 into Soo-Won. 

You say before IBS, but in S4 the void was most certainly planned, probably without a clear vision but on a concept level, as Kralk's torment is quite obviously the void(waring magic) influencing his mind. Originally the void was probably meant to be less of its own being and more simply the world breaking apart, magic going rampant and driving beings insane(including the EDs).
The game has a history of hinting at what's to come long before it does, long at those hints in retrospect and you can find quite a lot of interesting things.
For example in the dungeon crucible of eternity when fighting subject alpha there is his essence that shares a similar appearance to the void(but a bit dated, duh.).

The reason IBS got axed and EoD was rushed was due to the pandemic making IBS behind schedule as such they had to cut corners.
 When writing a story there are generally 2 methods, either write as you go without planning ahead or make a general outline. GW2, as far as I know, has had a general outline up to the point they slay the last dragon, but when it comes to an outline you often have to change it due to circumstances like say deadlines and budget. 

In the upcoming Season, I'll place my bet that they are going to try and explain the nature of magic and try to tie in the current iteration of the void with the rest of the world such as the mists and demons and later try and figure out how to fix some of the current loose ends/plot holes that have been created such as the deep sea monster.

If you think the void was something they came up with on the spot and have an issue with that, let me introduce PoF, which most likely was meant to be something entirely different. Most likely the IBS or S4. The whole imprisonment of Joko and the death of Vlast were probably to make the player stop asking where they are during the whole war with Ol'Balth. Or you know, the missing nightmare-court section of HoT.

This is mostly of course speculation, but it would follow how most stories are written and change over time.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, bullsxtwo.1027 said:

You say before IBS, but in S4 the void was most certainly planned, probably without a clear vision but on a concept level, as Kralk's torment is quite obviously the void(waring magic) influencing his mind. Originally the void was probably meant to be less of its own being and more simply the world breaking apart, magic going rampant and driving beings insane(including the EDs).

Depends on perspective.

The idea of mixing magic to cause torment was implemented in Season 4, and that was even used a bit in IBS. But the idea of it becoming the Void if all six domains are present isn't really hinted in any form in either S4 or IBS. By name or by function. And Torment is vastly different effects on things than Void, as Torment is just driven insanity to animalistic emotions, while Void is breaking apart the foundation of reality. There's a significant difference going on. Like you say, "Originally the void was probably meant to be" something completely different, and that completely different was given a psuedo-name that is just as generic: Torment.

The closest thing to a possible hint of Void itself is in Dragonstorm, where Primordus and Jormag are giving magic to their champions to save them (for some reason they suddenly care), and Primordus' has a blackish undertone to it, similar to Void. However, Jormag has a whitish undertone, so it could just be them going with opposite undertones to emphasize the orange/blue of fire/ice themes.

So it depends on your perspective, whether the concept of Void was introduced in EoD, or introduced in S4, or even in S3 if you simply apply it to "driving beings insane"... However, Void doesn't seem to drive beings insane, it just breaks down the world, and what S3 gave with "driving beings insane" is simply an overflow of magic - be it in the form of Bloodstone, or ley-lines (the "filtered" dragon magic and thus not Void).

38 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

However, Void doesn't seem to drive beings insane, it just breaks down the world, and what S3 gave with "driving beings insane" is simply an overflow of magic - be it in the form of Bloodstone, or ley-lines (the "filtered" dragon magic and thus not Void).

As it stands in regards to that we already knew for a long time that killing the dragons would cause the world to somehow fall apart. With the whole part of stopping Balthazar from killing the dragons which Mord hinted at and Glint's whole story is about.
The void and the torment are the same, at least now, it drove both Soo-Won and Kralk to insanity and like Kralk said ¨The magic they don't torment you.¨ as in it's the other elder dragons that became his torment and it wanted him to destroy everything much like the void. As to why it didn't immediately start to break down the world like in EoD is explained as the other dragons holding it at bay.

Also, it's worth mentioning the Harbring of Woe from fractals and 99/98 CM bosses as in some way they may also be related, or even hints.

11 hours ago, bullsxtwo.1027 said:

Just because they don't know exactly doesn't mean they don't have a general idea. If you look back at the story, the events involving the ED in S3 were obviously originally meant to lead into IBS but the expansion got greenlit and they had to put it on hold. As for S3 there are signs it has been planned for a long time or possibly was made using unused areas as the place you kill Caudecus had been in the game for years at that point and had simply not been used. 
If nothing else it shows Anet has a general idea for the story far ahead of time.

SPOILERS FOR END OF DRAGONS

This is the complete opposite of what void energy is.

Void energy is the purest form of magic, and ley energy is filtered magic that has the void removed ,leaving only the "light spectrum" which is why it appears white instead of black. Something about void energy is incompatbile with Tyria's physics, (as it slowly unravels anything it comes in contact with), so Soo-Won had to filter it out, and the closest approximation to our world would probably be exotic particles.

The Dragonvoid was just twisted because it was formed from the dragons, who themselves were tormented. Like any magic, void energy can become sentient, even sapient in high enough concentrations.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

13 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

SPOILERS FOR END OF DRAGONS

This is the complete opposite of what void energy is.

Void energy is the purest form of magic, and ley energy is filtered magic that has the void removed ,leaving only the "light spectrum" which is why it appears white instead of black. Something about void energy is incompatbile with Tyria's physics, (as it slowly unravels anything it comes in contact with), so Soo-Won had to filter it out, and the closest approximation to our world would probably be exotic particles.

The Dragonvoid was just twisted because it was formed from the dragons, who themselves were tormented. Like any magic, void energy can become sentient, even sapient in high enough concentrations.

But don't they explicitly say that it's simply a mix of all the energies, a sort of chaos theory?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Void

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, bullsxtwo.1027 said:

But don't they explicitly say that it's simply a mix of all the energies, a sort of chaos theory?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Void

I'm not sure where the confusion is, since a "mix of all energies" is just the original unfiltered energy. As Taimi explains in LWS3, Ley energy is like light, with all the domains combining to make white light and void energy is the original, unfiltered form of ley energy that also has void in it (which Soo-Won filtered out).

I think you're interpreting it as being corrupted or having something added, rather than seeing other types of magic as having something removed as the game explains?

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

I'm not sure where the confusion is, since a "mix of all energies" is just the original unfiltered energy. As Taimi explains in LWS3, Ley energy is like light, with all the domains combining to make white light and void energy is the original, unfiltered form of ley energy that also has void in it (which Soo-Won filtered out).

I think you're interpreting it as being corrupted or having something added, rather than seeing other types of magic as having something removed as the game explains?

I think the issue is that both are presented as being "the unfiltered combination of all magical energies" in their own separate explanations, and the story never really explains the difference between them. You saying 'one is filtered and the other isn't' is really just your interpretation. To quote Season 3:

Taimi: Anyway, I discovered why ley energy is different when run through him, and it's paradigm-shifting!
Taimi: The chak feed off ley energy, right?
Taimi: And we know that each dragon has a "domain" when it comes to their magic; Zhaitan's was death, obviously.
Taimi: Well you know what's guaranteed to give chak a bad stomachache? Death magic!
Taimi: Spencer filters "death" out of ley energy!
<Character name>: So magic is almost like light? Broken up into a spectrum?
Taimi: That's a perfect way to think about it!
Taimi: Magic as we know it is like white light, composed of all the different types of dragon magic.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taimi's_Game
This gives the indication that, since 'Spencer' is filtering magic from ley-lines, that ley-lines are unfiltered. Then we get Void:

Soo-Won: Returned to the web of ley lines, and then to me. You did what you had to do, but I can't filter the magic alone.
Soo-Won: Even when my children were alive, we couldn't filter it together. As each of them fell, the magic grew more corrupted.
Soo-Won: Now, it's become something else. Something...disagreeable to mortal life.
Soo-Won: I've shielded my flock from it for a long time. But I cannot abate the flow of magic for much longer.
Soo-Won: When I'm gone, all of Tyria will be destroyed. All life...extinguished.
<Character name>: There has to be a way to stop it.
Soo-Won: Aurene. The scion. She can filter all of the world's magic. But she must be ready.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Deepest_Secrets
And that perception... is the same as ley-lines. The idea that Void is unfiltered, unseparated magic. Then we get Haze:

Gorrik: Much appreciated! Your readings suggest this haze is composed primarily of raw magic. Very similar to Void. However...
Gorrik: The samples contained an extra element not found in unfiltered magic. I'll run further analysis. In the meantime...
Gorrik: Let's all regroup in the lower mines. Oh, and if you see any jade on your way, could you test it for a haze reaction?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/An_Air_of_Mystery
And again, that perception... is the same thing. Except Haze is the same thing "but with something added".

So in other words, it's seems like everything is basically unfiltered magic. And not once do we get told what the actual difference between ley-line and Void is. The closest we get is during Dragon's End meta:

When an enemy is killed and drops Purified Void Magic
Aurene: That creature just dropped some magical energy! Collect it! We can use it to power my crystal!
When collecting Purified Void Magic
One of the following:
Aurene: Excellent! I can feel the crystal's power growing!
Aurene: Yes! Keep gathering that magical energy!
When collecting Corrupted Void Magic
One of the following:
Aurene: Avoid the corrupted magic! It's dangerous.
Aurene: Careful! Some of that magic is too corrupted to use!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quell_the_Branded_Void_corruption_(Preparations) (and the other similar events)

The issue is, all that tells us is that there's "Purified Void Magic" and "Corrupted Void Magic" and... that means ley-lines are void, but "purified" while the black stuff is "corrupted". Which completely clashes with the idea that Void is pure, raw, unfiltered magic as corruption indicates it was twisted, warped, and changed - which isn't pure and raw.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

I was referring to the part above you made it sound like the void had something extra in it, besides magic.