So, tell me

Sylvia.4870

1 hour ago, Sylvia.4870 said:

No, I'm not crazy to announce my gender on the map chat everytime  I log in. Not even once. If I was a madman, I would already be in a hospital instead of living in the society as I should. Too many times to count, I was insulted  as though I was as similar as other men who are obsessed with something of the lower part of a woman. No matter how hard I tried to say that I wasn't psychic, none of them believed me. That's why I'm so tired  and this post appears.

Now I'm just curious how the situation you're describing in this thread works without announcing your gender. 😛 (not that "announcing" it would make it a valid reason to do what you described in your OP, more of a curiosity about what caused this thread to appear) 

36 minutes ago, Pheex.8932 said:

I've been playing MMO's for over 20 years and I've never had anyone tell me that, ever.

Comparable experience here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't normally go out of my way to tell people I'm a woman in real life, but it does come up sometimes, especially in guild chat where people tend to mention real-life stuff. Or I'm on voice chat and then it's fairly obvious. Or in topics like this one, although they're usually started when someone has just found out there are people who don't approach character creation the same way they do and want to learn more about it.

I did recently add my pronouns to my signature, which was a response to a conversation on another forum where apparently some people still believe women make up, at most, 5% of gamers (it's more like 45% - 50%, depending on how the stats are gathered) and a lot of their "evidence" was that they can "just tell" if someone is male or female and they never meet women in MMOs. In response to that 'logic' I thought it was worth being a bit more direct about the fact.

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well it is because they can be misstaken as children I would guess.

Edit

And some guys like to play females since thirsty guys give them stuff for thinking they are females.

Sad I know.

I don't doubt people try it, but I'm sceptical of how often this works. There's been precisely once when someone gave me something free for playing a female character, and that was a red iris flower in pre-searing GW1, a virtually worthless and mostly useless item you can literally pick off the ground anywhere in that part of the game.

I sometimes wonder if it's because most of my female characters aren't conventionally attractive (or attractive at all), but even when I've made one who is - at least according to my husband who helped me design them - it doesn't seem to make any difference in how I get treated in the game.

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I dont know about that. A lot of the women in my guilds use their characters to embrace their inner exhibitionist.

I do both. I have one character who usually wears as little as possible (including that light armour 'skirt' which is basically a taffeta belt), and others who I swear are glaring at me through the screen if I preview a low cut top on them, and then some in between.

Although it's the same with my male characters, except it's often harder to find revealing clothing for them. I have one who pretty much always wears the Elonian Elementalist outfit, but then he is literally an Elonian Elementalist. (That was a fun coincidence - I made him before that outfit was released, but it's perfect for him.)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't normally go out of my way to tell people I'm a woman in real life, but it does come up sometimes, especially in guild chat where people tend to mention real-life stuff. Or I'm on voice chat and then it's fairly obvious. Or in topics like this one, although they're usually started when someone has just found out there are people who don't approach character creation the same way they do and want to learn more about it.

I did recently add my pronouns to my signature, which was a response to a conversation on another forum where apparently some people still believe women make up, at most, 5% of gamers (it's more like 45% - 50%, depending on how the stats are gathered) and a lot of their "evidence" was that they can "just tell" if someone is male or female and they never meet women in MMOs. In response to that 'logic' I thought it was worth being a bit more direct about the fact.

I don't doubt people try it, but I'm sceptical of how often this works. There's been precisely once when someone gave me something free for playing a female character, and that was a red iris flower in pre-searing GW1, a virtually worthless and mostly useless item you can literally pick off the ground anywhere in that part of the game.

I sometimes wonder if it's because most of my female characters aren't conventionally attractive (or attractive at all), but even when I've made one who is - at least according to my husband who helped me design them - it doesn't seem to make any difference in how I get treated in the game.

I do both. I have one character who usually wears as little as possible (including that light armour 'skirt' which is basically a taffeta belt), and others who I swear are glaring at me through the screen if I preview a low cut top on them, and then some in between.

Although it's the same with my male characters, except it's often harder to find revealing clothing for them. I have one who pretty much always wears the Elonian Elementalist outfit, but then he is literally an Elonian Elementalist. (That was a fun coincidence - I made him before that outfit was released, but it's perfect for him.)

Exactly.

And to be clear, I didnt mean that they go exclusively for revealing but rather that they do use revealing options as part of their total presentation.

I have a mix of male and female characters. I tend to prefer gear that looks like it could actually provide protection and which my character could move in without stabbing themself. And I do have a couple of set ups that are a bit more revealing as well.

• Like 1

Gw2 community is 99% time very nice, but ofc nothing is 100%, just assume inst ur luck day, and u meet someone rude.

Last time someone was rude to me was in tangled depths, for no reason, i just assumed "its a kid probably", and moved-on.

oh i have females characters, one of them is sexy version of Queen Jennah lolzzzz . https://gw2style.com/look.php?id=18098

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Sylvia.4870 said:

By the six! It is  already 2022 and  almost 2023.  I can't believe there are still some people  who love to look down on anyone who plays  an opposite gender character in the game -  a woman plays  as  a male character and  a man plays  as  a female one. What is wrong with the case much , especially the second one? Since when did it trouble you , harass  your life? Since when did it matter so much? If I prefer creating  the  female characters  to the male ones  and see some outfits  are fitting to them, is that strange much? If you think I created the female ones in order to just look at their arses, act like a woman, be my guest. After all, I can't convince you nor control your thoughts. 

Here's a hot take... It only matters to people who feel "deceived" by finding out a female character is being played by a male, and they only feel deceived because they were taking it upon themselves to harass and/or objectify the players in question, because they're typically the type of person who thinks females exist for them.

But don't let these people ruin your time. Live your (toon's) best life and craft some cute outfits. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't doubt people try it, but I'm sceptical of how often this works.

I think people often leave out a crucial aspect of that. The behavior side of it.

22 minutes ago, Stadsport.8714 said:

because they're typically the type of person who thinks females exist for them.

heh also the perfect target for the topic being discussed above

• Like 3

Well,  that kind of talk is actually disappearing which is a good thing in my opinion, but I play female characters for a different reason even though I am a guy in real life. I only play female characters because that is what I wish I was in real life. But, I am not happy with the current level of technology and procedures and well pain to make it happen. So, I use MMOs and CC and such to live and express who I want to be as a medium for the time being. I don't see my character as a character really. I just see them as a representation of my true self.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Lol, i guess the times are indeed changing. There was a time (and not that long ago, btw) when noone would care, because everyone was already operating under assumption that all female characters are guys in real life, so if that got confirmed, hardly anyone was surprised.

When MMOs were in its infancy, everyone were expected to play the gender they were. Males that played female characters (and vice versa) were often ridiculed. So, you will see a very small percentage of female characters. There were a few males who really play the female roles very well just to get presents from other players.

Yes, courting was a very real part of all MMOs. Imagine the devastations some of these boys felt when they found out the love of their life was actually a male in disguise.

Although I never indulged in that courtship part (my then gf would have murdered me), being young and stupid, I was in that camp of males should play males only. That was until a guildmate told me the reason he played females only was because if he's going to spend so much time on a game, he might as well play characters he'd love looking at. That certainly changed my perspective.

Now, all my characters are equally split. Both gender and all races equally represented.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

The skimpier their clothes, the more likely it's a guy -- picture the South Park WoW guy for the girls in the weird pants+stocking combo and you probably won't be too far off.

My wife plays, and her clothes are often skimpier than anything I'd put on a character. Just saying.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

My wife plays, and her clothes are often skimpier than anything I'd put on a character. Just saying.

Meanwhile all my characters are in suits, fully clothed, long coats etc. But, yeah, I agree, that is not a good way to tell or not since everyone has different preferences and tastes. lolz

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Ummm, me too?  My wife and I both play. Why would you think I meant anything else?

Think you missed the joke. Reading both comments and just imagining someone playing the game in really skimpy clothes actually made me lol.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Again i have to wonder if this is a NA server issue, as i don't recall this being an issue at all on the EU servers. Otoh, i don't pvp so i'm not surrounded by the worst of the playerbase...

I have 3 female chars (human, asura, sylvari) and 4 male (2 human, 2 sylvari) whom i play regularly and the only comments i get on my appearance are about what armour/dyes i'm using.

Like, why should anyone care about the player behind the character? If you want to be friends, just do it; if you want something else just ask but be prepared for a negative answer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Who the heck cares. Im playing a human female and a Salat (Sylvarie) male. The reason is simple. I like its style and armory comb. This is also mostly I write someone just to say i love his/her fashion wars. (or im pissed and calling someone build carried xD cause pvper Lifestyle lel)

• Haha 1