Steam client uninstall also uninstalls the standalone client

I downloaded the Steam client just to see what's different. After an hour I uninstalled it. A couple of hours later on, when I wanted to play again, I noticed my standalone client is gone as well, including all config files and addons. Great...

Here's the technical explanation for why this happens in some instances, provided by @Healix.5819:

On 9/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, Healix.5819 said:

GW2 doesn't need to be installed to run it, so you'll only have that registry key if you've actually installed it using Gw2Setup (or -allowInstall). When you uninstall GW2 (-uninstall), it'll remove GW2 from where the registry says it's located, or if the key doesn't exist, it'll use its current path. Steam doesn't set this registry key, so when you uninstall it through Steam, it's going to delete your original installation first.

I doubt they'd ever bother fixing it considering you have to install both to have this problem.

Edited by DankRafft.5984
  • Haha 2

Weird, for some reason Steam uninstalled the standalone client and retained the Steam version in the "steamapps\common" directory even though my Steam Library shows the Steam version being uninstalled (which does make sense since I uninstalled it from there). Is it possible that the uninstall process used the original registry entry for GW2 and derived the game's path that way? Otherwise I can't make any sense of all of that.

Edited by DankRafft.5984

3 hours ago, DankRafft.5984 said:

Weird, for some reason Steam uninstalled the standalone client and retained the Steam version in the "steamapps\common" directory even though my Steam Library shows the Steam version being uninstalled (which does make sense since I uninstalled it from there). Is it possible that the uninstall process used the original registry entry for GW2 and derived the game's path that way? Otherwise I can't make any sense of all of that.

I don't believe there's any registry entries for GW2.  The game doesn't really tie itself into Windows like that.  Is it possible you had edited the location in Steam one time?

8 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I don't believe there's any registry entries for GW2.  The game doesn't really tie itself into Windows like that.

Yes, it does: "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ArenaNet\Guild Wars 2"

8 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Is it possible you had edited the location in Steam one time?

No, I just downloaded the Steam client, started it once, toyed around with it for a while and directly after closing the client I deleted the client from the Steam library. I also didn't make any changes to the standalone client, in case that would be your next question. In fact, I didn't do anything else but playing GW2 and installing/uninstalling the Steam client on the affected machine.

GW2 doesn't need to be installed to run it, so you'll only have that registry key if you've actually installed it using Gw2Setup (or -allowInstall). When you uninstall GW2 (-uninstall), it'll remove GW2 from where the registry says it's located, or if the key doesn't exist, it'll use its current path. Steam doesn't set this registry key, so when you uninstall it through Steam, it's going to delete your original installation first.

I doubt they'd ever bother fixing it considering you have to install both to have this problem.

• Thanks 1