Guild Wars 2 - The Current State of the Game.

Xaint.7461

Greetings, so i though this could  be an interesting topic to discuss aswell as share viewpoints and opinions.

First off  i wanna start with saying that i've personally been playing guild wars 2 for quite alot of years afterall from core to hot to pof to eod and what an adventure it been, it truly did set some footprints of memories that i'll never forget and im sure it will always remain like that, hence a good reason that even when im drained playing gw2 i always end up returning at some point.

Now with that said, i wanna mainly discuss and focus on the current state of the game, so first things first.. I feel that everytime we got a new expansion there's a few things that always tend to happen,

1. being overtuned new specs, which to a certain point makes sense if you were tryina sell an expansion but with that said it is deffiantly not how it should be nor any closer to a healthy good state / balance, usually it tends to be fixed over time tho which is ofcourse great but i feel personally this pattern of new elite  spec's being overtuned everytime an expansion hits is very clear, a little too clear and i dont  really understand wheter thats just  a coincidence or actually  meant to be like that but it surely feels repetetive pattern wise.

2. when i look back at the old days and compare it to now i feel that there was less broken features in  the game than  there is now ( which again make sense, evolution basicly + more things equals more likely to have more things broken right, with that said it feels almost a little too much in comparison to years ago, years ago i didnt feel that half as much was broken as today and there is alot of things that just seems to not get a fix ( here's a perfect example for that, elementalist dismounting attunements ) thats ofcourse just 1 of several things but how long this been broken for ? 3years ? some like that, it should never be the case that something so closely related to classes are broken for that long especially if u going to push new expansions .. atleast fix old stuff before pushing a expansion, maybe that would be ideal ? so we dont end up having a stack pile of old things that are just left behind because new things are 'stealing' the spotlight, in  which it feels like it does, most things getting fixed atm are related to the new expansion where im left to ask, but how can we have old stuff from before an expansion but they still arent fixed ? it feels kinda unprofessional if i were to compare it to the past, in the past guild wars 2 felt much more Reliable on fixing stuff before pushing new stuff out aswell as keeping a certain Quality in the game especially when it  comes to such as classes, traits, skills, etc etc that has a major impact towards invidual players playing it.

3. so with point 1.  and 2. i conclude personally that guild wars 2's state of the game currently is much much worse than it used to be and its a shame a big shame tbh, cus the quality you delivered back then was on a much higher standard atleast it felt like that. Maybe thats just me, and i aint to hate on the game i love the game and still play everyday but it just does not feel the same when i look left and right and see so many patterns and more and more things  being  broken  over time etc.

- What could be done better to prevent this now and forwardly ? : i think personally, that you should lay back on pushing too much new content and rather focus the current issues and have them fixed rather than pushing new content, not that i dont want new content i would love it and it is also a big Quality thing to have new content often BUT  i still feel  the heavyweight is on old broken stuff rather than new content especially now at days taken that there is more than ever before being broken, not working properly or similar .

i hope whoever might read this will look at it on a constructive way cus thats my personal view on why i've choosen to type it in the first place, beside of that i would love to see /  read what other thinks of these things / arguments or / and if not, the current state of the game.

Best Regards,

Xaint .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 11

They are laying off new content and working on fixing old issues. They’ve been doing that since EoD. I agree the game isn’t its former self, but I don’t agree it’s more broken than ever before.

Balance has been an issue sure, but that’s been well documented and the team has a new, experienced leader and a better direction after the recent drama. Hopefully it’ll get back on track. I’m not really big on caring about balance, there’s clearly been some directional issues which they’ve listened to and actioned on. The proof will be on subsequent updates.

I don’t have huge concerns over the state of the game on these issues to be honest

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

They are laying off new content and working on fixing old issues. They’ve been doing that since EoD. I agree the game isn’t its former self, but I don’t agree it’s more broken than ever before.

Balance has been an issue sure, but that’s been well documented and the team has a new, experienced leader and a better direction after the recent drama. Hopefully it’ll get back on track. I’m not really big on caring about balance, there’s clearly been some directional issues which they’ve listened to and actioned on. The proof will be on subsequent updates.

I don’t have huge concerns over the state of the game on these issues to be honest

i think the same.

i feel they are fixing more old issues than ever, a thing that years ago was forget under excuses.

• Like 3

I agree with you that there are a lot of little things that are mildly broken and annoying and need to be fixed, but I disagree that the game is in a bad state. Overall it is pretty amazing and fun, even if there are some things that are irritating. Any game of this size and complexity will have issues, but that said I do hope that the Devs (finally) are addressing QOL and wonky features (or lack of features). 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

some interesting viewpoints,  i  might overwhelmed  it a  bit saying that the game  is in a broken state, i mean i still enjoy  the  game everyday but i  still feel as  when i look  back it was much healthier because there  was less issues,   with that  said ofcourse if u  bring new stuff  there  will be new  issues,  and i totally  agree that it seems that  they  are working   harder  than ever  before to atleast adress  everything to get  it fixed, tho wheter it gets fixed is the actual question tho and thats where i feel some things are left behind.  Appreciate some responses and sharing some viewpoints on it .

• Confused 2

On 9/22/2022 at 2:25 PM, Xaint.7461 said:

when i look back at the old days and compare it to now i feel that there was less broken features in  the game than  there is now

Of course. Because there are now more features in the game, and as a consequence there are also more broken/buggy features in the game. But my experience/feeling is that new content at release has nearly the same "bugs per feature percentage" as old content in the past at it's release.

Also Anet has a bad habit of "moving on" to new content which means that if bugs of new content are not fixed soon after release, the chances are high, that those bugs will never be fixed which results in a lot of old bugs that are still not fixed.

With the preparations for the steam release (and probably recent changes in leadership) they also fixed (and tried to fix) several older bugs recently, but I still think there are a lot of more bugs and annoying things that should be fixed and fixing them would make the game better.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

Also Anet has a bad habit of "moving on" to new content which means that if bugs of new content are not fixed soon after release, the chances are high, that those bugs will never be fixed which results in a lot of old bugs that are still not fixed.

this is exactly what i mean, in which i really dislike, i rather have no new content but stuff fixed than  other way around, not everyone agrees to that ofcourse but to me that weighs / values way more, especially if its things again related to classes etc, bugged traits and skills and so on, content wise i  mainly am a PvP / WvW player, tho i do play PvE too but mainly i focus the other 2 game modes and with that i dont feel i encounter as much bugged  'content' in terms of lets say map broken things, npcs or anything beside what affects a class directly, where as again it weighs way more to me when it comes to such as classes and traits being fixed .

Appreciate ur response,  some good arguments .

Edited by Xaint.7461
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Xaint.7461 said:

this is exactly what i mean, in which i really dislike, i rather have no new content but stuff fixed than  other way around, not everyone agrees to that ofcourse but to me that weighs / values way more, especially if its things again related to classes etc, bugged traits and skills and so on, content wise i  mainly am a PvP / WvW player, tho i do play PvE too but mainly i focus the other 2 game modes and with that i dont feel i encounter as much bugged  'content' in terms of lets say map broken things, npcs or anything beside what affects a class directly, where as again it weighs way more to me when it comes to such as classes and traits being fixed .

Appreciate ur response,  some good arguments .

GW2 isn't like other games and in part I think that is due to no Subscription model.  GW2 has content releases that 'do the thing' but never have to be perfect because for the most part, the content is abandoned immediately after being released.  A lot of subscription games really refine the content as they have a lot more to lose if a player gets annoyed by the issues and leaves.

Is it frustrating that basically every GW2 release still has bugs and issues that in some cases are years old?  That the base game can still just crash for no reason when loading a new map, or watching a cut scene, or too many flashing blobs are in the screen?  To these and other complaints, yeah, they totally suck.

But given that it's been 7 months since the EoD launch and we still haven't got reasonably balanced professions in all three game modes, what do you really expect from this company?  I mean they have recently admitted that they have been following bad logic for tuning the eSpecs, alongside trying to completely change how boon-sharing works, and now a new change in design philosophy comes with the change of the Profession Balance Team Lead.... I am sometimes surprised that this game is actually playable.

Do I want a subscription model, of course not, but it is obvious that the design team for Anet isn't big enough or funded well enough to actually balance professions in a timely manner, let alone fix their game on an ongoing basis.  We play a basically free game and it doesn't have the polish of other games for that reason because it is basically free.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Headstart player here. Just thought about jumping in and giving my 2¢.

See, the game went through so much over the last decade that the things that the playerbase is receiving are quite huge. We started off with an unclear direction (gear, economy, LFG tools, progression, etc), at least for an MMORPG such as GW2. Dang, when HoT was teased countless rumors were flying about what that thing could be, because we almost had no spare hope left for what this game could evolve into. I remember I screamed when they announced it was, in fact, an expansion!

But wait, GW2 would never ever have one expansion, just regular story releases and whatnot. Guess the market prices itself and it's ruthless, but then again what would we be doing in a stale game after all? Then they've challenged their fixed mindset about the holy trinity: it will never happen. But it did! Well, sort of, the trinity flows more dynamically than normal and it's broken into multiple pieces. Piece by piece, things started changing for good, amongst so many heated discussions and curious developments company-wise. The amount of time we gave this game into repeating gold grinding in the past is far beyond comprehension, it's not even close to what we have now.

This game is and will remain a B2P model because of how it started and the big players behind it. That won't however hinder their abilities to grow and make money, but that's topic for another time.

Specializations, a.k.a traits, balancing happens quite normally for a F2P model game cadence to be completely honest. The feedback is important, but they will milk money from unbalanced classes and tbh that's another thing that should be expected. One thing should be expected (and this is targetted at the devs) is world polish. It's unreasonable to have quite a few annoying, long-standing bugs tied to graphics. This is why one of my main complaints since roughly 6 years ago was to upgrade DirectX. It takes a lot of resources, money and research, but whatever, everything has only one direction: forward. Or downward... the choice lies at the hands of the big players mentioned before.

About the game getting worse: that's the price you pay for denying the chance for a product to grow for way too long. You can't stop the flow of the game + fixing the already existing bugs. That's a painful cycle that you must endure and overcome, there's no magical way to get everything beautifully in place.

Game has potential, just like it did 10 years ago. You really have to put on the work and that's about it.

Edited by Valento.9852
  • Like 1

Its really impossible for GW2 to be worst than it was before, since there wasn't any substatial gameplay changes (Like Runescape Evolution of Combat). Since release we only got newer things, expansions and QoL updates, so its kinda impossible for today, after everything we've got be worse than the early days of GW2.

Now if you're talking about Balance alone, yea, sure, its a mess. But its doable. It happens in all MMOs.

Just dont misjudge balance issue with gameplay or QoL issues. GW2 is getting better and better gameplay wise, and the more the game grows, the bigger the balance issues will be, but thats pretty much it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm of two minds on this issue.

On the one hand, every other MMO I've played feels stale, stiff, and boring by comparison.  They're founded on models and concepts 20 years dead, and pander to nostalgics, genre fanatics, or ... well, let's not talk about internet cafe culture.  By contrast, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 took everything we knew about MMOs, shook it up, and presented us a beautiful eight course meal unlike anything you've ever seen (full disclosure:  my experience with haut cuisine is nil).  It was ascended cooking before cooking was ascended-eligible.  I love the franchise, I love what it does, and from a philosophical standpoint, I've never found another game that truly challenged old conventions and came out ahead.  That, and I haven't paid anything to keep playing it in a decade.  VERY few games can claim that which aren't pay-to-win (remember that bit about internet cafes?)

The other hand, however ... yeah, balance is in a miserable state.  Power-creep is a fact of life, unfortunately, both to sell expansions and because the best way to make something "more interesting" is to give it more stuff -- and more stuff means more power.  Go back and play old content (like the Warden Jabari fight I did twice yesterday, which used to get down to the wire, even when everyone was still working on gryphons), and watch a team of maybe 7 stomp it to nothing in a fraction of the time just because we had three people with the new elite specs.  Heck, watch a seige turtle one-shot mobs like it's nothing.  Then watch a similar team take over 4x as long simply because they weren't running any of the new specs.  End of Dragons upended something that was nearly, almost, finally performing about on par with where it should be, and the recent imbroglios over balance have only made things more dubious.  They're starting to reverse some of that, but as I've posted elsewhere, boon-creep is very much real and it's creating a massive gulf in balance and player expectations that has created a self-sustaining and exceedingly vicious little cycle -- and that's before you get into the situation surrounding "benchmarks" (which already rely on overinflated numbers, so they're fundamentally moot (just not the fun kind)).  And please, don't get me started on the push for multi-stage collections in the upper double- or even triple-digit steps required.  Some of us don't have the time or energy for that kind of thing.

In short?  It's a love-hate situation.

Love the game, love to play it, love to get lost in the beauty of the world and the fluidity of game play ... but there are times when I hate how the specializations I like to play always seem to lag behind or deteriorate because someone, somewhere, managed to very unlikely thing* so now we have to nerf it for everyone**.  It's unfortunate, sure, but it's also not unique to Guild Wars, just bad decision-making.

(* This is that bit about balancing around benchmarks, again.)

(** And this is the fallout from nerfing core specializations because an elite specialization could exploit something in it, without actually ... you know, changing that synergy.)

• Like 1