Koda didn't create the world, is he a fluke?

Subli.8217

Since revelations in EoD we now know that Koda that the kodans consider creator of the world, essentially did no such thing. What do you think then, are they just religious fanatics no better than hyleks or grawls? They like to consider themselves as morally superior and back that attitude with their made up crap about how their god is the one true god who created the world and tasked specifically the kodans to oversee balance, and of course they are the ones to dictate what is balanced. They specifically hate the dredge, our comrades who helped defeat Kralkatorrik, and back up their prejudice with their religious superstition about natural balance, as if it's not natural that the mole rats dig in the ground and use technology to enhance their daily life... Idk about you, but just by being in cantha for few weeks I have noticed more ecological devastation made by humans than I have ever seen by dredge, but of course kodans have no trouble being best buddies with the humans.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

I think you’re reading into it a bit much. Like Kodan hate all dredge but are buddies with human, where did you get that? They have somewhat of a distaste from dredge based on their experience if I recall right (including Kodan being attacked by them) but I don’t recall them ever being specially friendly to humans.  Also the ecological damage in cantha? The junkyard in echovald I guess?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Like Kodan hate all dredge but are buddies with human, where did you get that?

Probably misunderstanding a kodan in one of the Frostgorge Sound hearts that talks about the dredge being blind (heh) to balance due to their highly destructive ways.

But yeah, I wouldn't say they're particularly friend or foe to either human or dredge except on a situational basis. And that was specifically about the dredge under the moletariate rule.

7 hours ago, Sublimatio.6981 said:

Since revelations in EoD we now know that Koda that the kodans consider creator of the world, essentially did no such thing. What do you think then, are they just religious fanatics no better than hyleks or grawls?

Well, a few things:

1. If ArenaNet really wanted to they can take back the whole "Soo-Won created the world" because she never explicitly says that, even though that was the obvious intent when she says that she split the magical domains from the Void and then watched the world formed with the Elder Dragons as mortal life grew on the world. They could easily slide Koda in there as well and created the rock that would become the world of Tyria.
  2. They could pull the Mellaggan route with the quaggan in Dragon's End and basically say that Koda is Soo-Won (though they already pulled this card in IBS with "Jormag may actually be Koda" which ended up like most Bjora Marches open world dialogue, going nowhere).

They like to consider themselves as morally superior and back that attitude with their made up crap about how their god is the one true god who created the world and tasked specifically the kodans to oversee balance, and of course they are the ones to dictate what is balanced.

Seems you misunderstand the kodan's belief a bit. They do not proclaim Koda as "the one true god", but just that he was a god, and the one to create the world.

Or more accurately, "formed" the world - which is arguably ambiguous enough to play with wordplay.

They specifically hate the dredge, our comrades who helped defeat Kralkatorrik, and back up their prejudice with their religious superstition about natural balance, as if it's not natural that the mole rats dig in the ground and use technology to enhance their daily life... Idk about you, but just by being in cantha for few weeks I have noticed more ecological devastation made by humans than I have ever seen by dredge, but of course kodans have no trouble being best buddies with the humans.

Just to be clear as mentioned above, the kodan do not express hatred for the dredge or "best buds" with humans, and the dredge they show disapproval of are restricted to the moletariate ran group that are actively ecologically destructive in their mining - the dredge who assist us in Season 4 are explicitly broken away from the moletariate (which quite possibly crumbled after the events of the core story maps and Season 1 given they hadn't been heard from again - I don't think Vanya even mentions them, and LWS1 Return actively removed the few mentions of them that were there in 2013).

And obviously, the kodan have no knowledge of the on-goings of Cantha just as any other Tyrian had no idea, especially during the core campaign 10 years prior to the events of End of Dragons (which may even predate the jadetech junkyards in Cantha given jadetech in general is only 18 years old by EoD time)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think this is reading too much into it, as well as forgetting Gw2 is filled with different groups having their own takes on things.

Like how some Charr believe Melandru created the world. Or how people think Mellagan is Melandru (when it was really Soo-Won, IIRC the comment a quaggan in EoD makes?)

Kodan(at least some) believe the Norn are descendants of the lost tribe/clan who ignored koda and went out into the great blizzard, and thus lost their way, hence why the Norn are the way they are now and only sometimes bear-like.

Just because the Kodan say Koda "made" the world, doesn't mean it's perhaps true from a lore perspective.

• Like 2

It's just like every creation myth. For example, the Christian, Jewish and Muslim believes state that the Abrahamic god created the world, which we know is factually wrong.

There always are people with superiority complexes, who have a distaste for specific groups of people and use religion as a reason to hate others. But most religious people are peaceful. In these regards, Kodan should be no different than Christian or Muslim societies.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Humans also believe their gods created the world, granted magic to the races within it and then split that magic into domains using the bloodstones. We now know none of those things are true. Are they also religious fanatics no better than grawl or hylek?

Asura believe no one created the world, that it all just happened and all the different deities are simply ignorant bookah ascribing personalities and intents to the natural processes of the Eternal Alchemy because they're too ignorant to comprehend it properly. They definitely see themselves as superior too other races, for many reasons including 'knowing' more about the Eternal Alchemy. We also know they're wrong about the nature of deities.

It's the same for all the races and religions. They all think they're right and they all have elements of truth mixed with misconceptions. None of them are ultimately right or the one true religion and I don't think it makes sense to try to suggest that some are superior to others.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Kodan generally do not seek confrontation. The Kodan's "enemies" are whoever attacks them, which IMHO it takes  a special kind of stupid to deliberately anger a ten foot tall bear-man with a giant hammer. Suffice to say I'm glad the Kodan are on our side.

The Kodan are a bit judgmental and even arrogant about others understanding their idea of "balance". But to be fair, the Kodan  are an ancient race that survived the last Dragonrise; they have earned the right to be a little judgmental.

As for Koda: I have wondered if maybe Koda isn't a Kodan hyperstasis of Soo-Won. Or perhaps Koda was somehow identified with or even the spirit of Primordus before it became a raging animal, given that Koda is pretty much the opposite of Jormag in every respect. Just a thought, anyway.